The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 20th, 2007   mguggenheim is offline   #81
mguggenheim
professional

While the a few of us fail to believe that this was the editorial decision of DC comics all along to have Bart as the Flash for a year, then switch the title back to a Wally West driven character book, was this the reason that Bilson and DeMeo left the book so abruptly and they brought you on as the writer once they ( TPTB ) figured out that they made a mistake?
ddf
RJ Squires View Post
I don't know. You'd have to ask the guys.

Old June 20th, 2007   mguggenheim is offline   #82
mguggenheim
professional

Just a quick question, anything for DC in the pipe-works?
ddf
the prankster View Post
A six-part Batman Confidential story.

Old June 20th, 2007   Erik Sternberger is offline   #83
Erik Sternberger
Apathetic Revolutionary

Wow...so. Wow.

Body and everything.

Now, maybe it is a technicality, but is Bart still a speedster if the speedforce was taken from him and unable to go back? Would he actually see the Black Flash?

Unfortunatly, all my questions would be more for Marc since he is taking the torch now, and I don't want to know the answers until I read the book!

So, I will just say, this issue was inspiring and broke my heart all at once. This was the issue that made me believe Bart was the Flash for the first time, not just Bart as the Flash. (Hope that makes sense.)

I like this corn bread so much, I want to take it behind a middle school and get it pregnant.
Old June 20th, 2007   mguggenheim is offline   #84
mguggenheim
professional

Have you ever given a thought about what you would have done if the series continued?
ddf
Mr. Kayak View Post
A little, but just daydreams. It was always a closed-ended story.

Old June 20th, 2007   the prankster is offline   #85
the prankster
Geoffan

There wasn't any quid pro quo. However, I was offered another series on the strength of my Flash work, but I couldn't take it -- much as I wanted to -- because of my schedule.
ddf
mguggenheim View Post
Can you say what it was Marc or, or you not allowed to say? Will you be working with DC in the near future?

You have just been pranked!!!
Old June 20th, 2007   mguggenheim is offline   #86
mguggenheim
professional

Marc, when the preview pages came up you said you liked the fact that the Crisis homage played. I don't have the issue in my hands yet (obviously) but once people had a chance to digest the book can you let us know if you or Tony put any other less overt Flash Homages in issue 13?
ddf
Jeffrey Neary View Post
My original plan was to have each issue be an homage to a classic Flash cover, but that idea got vetoed early on. However, I'm a sneak, hence moving the Crisis #8 homage into an interior splash pages. No other homages, however.

Old June 20th, 2007   mguggenheim is offline   #87
mguggenheim
professional

If you could write any DC book of your choice, what would be your dream gig?
ddf
Chris Hansbrough View Post
Teen Titans or Batman -- but Batman in present day continuity.

Old June 20th, 2007   mguggenheim is offline   #88
mguggenheim
professional

Was Mark Waid okay with the decision? Was he consulted on this arc?
ddf
Vinny Piccolo View Post
I don't know. You'll have to ask him.

Old June 20th, 2007   the prankster is offline   #89
the prankster
Geoffan

A six-part Batman Confidential story.
ddf
mguggenheim View Post
Very cool! look forward to it!

You have just been pranked!!!
Old June 20th, 2007   TJLamb0518 is offline   #90
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Marc, even though your curent obligation to DC is done, will you be so kind as to continue to post here?

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old June 20th, 2007   mguggenheim is offline   #91
mguggenheim
professional

Marc,
I'm asking these questions without having read Flash #13, so for all I know some or all of them will be answered tomorrow, but here goes anyway:

1) Other than the fate of Bart and who the next Flash will be, are there any plot threads from these 13 issues, and specifically any threads that you may have dangled, that will be continued in the Waid run?
ddf
dadthedude View Post
Waid will be picking up where I left off. Specifically, somebody's due for some payback...

2) Since we now know that Mark Waid was going to be the ultimate writer on Flash and that you were only a temporary fill-in (thanks for the great job, by the way), did you and Mr. Waid collaborate on the Terminal Velocity storyline, or was it your creation entirely?
ddf
dadthedude View Post
By "Terminal Velocity" do you mean "Full Throttle"? If so, no. We didn't collaborate. I actually didn't know it would be Mark specifically who would be succeeding me until well into my run.

3) A slightly different take on Question 2: Whose idea was Terminal Velocity - yours or DC Editorial's? By this, I'm asking if you were told to write a story arc that resulted in a specific ending (again, I haven't read Flash #13 so I don't know the ending yet) or did you come up with the ending after being told that #13 was the final issue?
ddf
dadthedude View Post
Good question. SPOILERS AHEAD: I was told (a) Bart dies; (b) he dies in a manner involving the Speed Force; (c) the Rogues are responsible. Apart from that, I was on my own. I wrote up an outline and -- as I am wont to do -- deviated from it fairly substantially during the script writing process. For example, Iris was a late idea that I came up with while writing Issue 10.

4) Exactly what were you told when you took on this assignment (I think someone already asked this)? I'm curious because there was an immediate upgrade to the writing - both pace and quality - when you took over the Flash chores.
ddf
dadthedude View Post
See above. I think that answers your question. Let me know if it doesn't.

5) If you were told that #13 was the end, or that you had to write the final arc, did that make the writing easier or harder for you than if Flash were going to continue beyond Terminal Velocity?
ddf
dadthedude View Post
See above.

Thanks for making the Flash a fun read again. You took a book I was about to drop and made it a book I looked forward to buying. I hope to read more of your work in the future.
ddf
dadthedude View Post
Thanks. It's been my pleasure.

Best,
Marc

Old June 20th, 2007   mguggenheim is offline   #92
mguggenheim
professional

I was wondering if you had any story ideas that didn't get used?
ddf
Ryan Higgins View Post
I wanted Jay to play a role in Issue 13, but couldn't for various reasons. That was my only idea that I didn't get approval on. In other words, DC -- particularly Joan Hilty -- was very accommodating when I'd call her with my crazy ideas.

Also, did you work closely with Brad Meltzer, Mark Waid, and the creators on Countdown to make sure everything coalesced properly?
ddf
Ryan Higgins View Post
I worked closer with editorial than with Brad or Mark, but both we're consulted. Brad was instrumental with Issue 9 and Mark was very helpful in vetting Issue 13.

Old June 20th, 2007   Preston_Manchester is offline   #93
Preston_Manchester

* SPOILERS*

Please please please Marc, tell me if there is any hope of ever seeing Bart (Alive) again.. I would love for him to have a solo Kid Flash book.. Do you know if we will ever see our fave kid running again?

Also, do you know if Tim or Wally are going to look for some "quality time" with inertia/the rogues?

Great job Marc.. I'll be reading you!

Old June 20th, 2007   Jorge Martinez is offline   #94
Jorge Martinez
Advanced Geoffan

I was against Bart becoming the Flash. I'm a Wally fan. But I loved this series. Now I'm a Wally and Bart fan. Thanks Marc.

Old June 20th, 2007   callla is offline   #95
callla
Neo Geoffan

* SPOILERS*

Please please please Marc, tell me if there is any hope of ever seeing Bart (Alive) again.. I would love for him to have a solo Kid Flash book.. Do you know if we will ever see our fave kid running again?
ddf
Preston_Manchester View Post
I know you probably can't answer this, but God, if you could just flat out say whether there's a chance or not, I would feel so much less horrible right now. This issue really hurt me a lot and I am grateful for what you were trying to do, but I still feel like someone just punched me in the gut, and not in the good way.

Old June 20th, 2007   Jay West is offline   #96
Jay West
Advanced Geoffan

Ok so I stare the mods down and perform my first ever 'bloc sin by not asking a question: Thanks, Marc your run was awesome. It made me love Bart as the Flash. (Even though I hate that he died).