The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old March 24th, 2006   sandy1 is offline   #1
sandy1

Default Questions for Kurt Busiek

Kurt,

Secret Identity was an excellent read, and I am intrigued by your take on post-IC Superman. I am adding Superman and Action to my pull list and expect great things from you and Geoff.

Now on to the questions:

1. Lois Lane has always been one of my favorite characters in comics. Do you have any special plan for her? I'd love to see the Lane and Kent reporting team to uncover serious Luthor/Intergang dirt. It's been a while since we see them in action in the main Superman books. Warren Ellis did a fun take on them in JLA Classified. I hope to see the same (or better) in your run.

2. Is there any plan for Clark and Lois's tenth anniversary? (I'm a fan of the marriage too!) How do you view the Lois and Clark dynamics? Who wears the pants in the Lane-Kent home?

3. I live in Indonesia and the comics that we get are usually at least two or three weeks behind. I'd love to be able to legally download comics from DC. I've always wondered why there are no icomics websites where paying international readers like me can get the latest issue on the same day they're available in the US. Is there any plans at DC for something like that?

4. Will we be seeing Mr. Stuart Immonen's art again in one of the books?

5. I read somewhere that the current Superman will be revealed to be the E-1 Silver Age Supes. I thought that he retired with his Lois in that Alan Moore story -- so how could he became our Superman?

6. Please write an issue that has Boeuf Bourguignon with Ketchup in it. Enough with this tofu-munching Superman already. The guy was raised in a farm. He's gotta love his meat.

Old March 24th, 2006   Kurt Busiek is offline   #2
Kurt Busiek
professional

Secret Identity was an excellent read, and I am intrigued by your take on post-IC Superman.
ddf
sandy1
Thanks!

1. Lois Lane has always been one of my favorite characters in comics. Do you have any special plan for her?
ddf
She's one of the key characters in the book, so we've got plans, yes.

2. Is there any plan for Clark and Lois's tenth anniversary?
ddf
I don't have any plans, myself -- they're still only recently married in the comics, of course. There is an anniversary of sorts in #654, but it's not a wedding anniversary.

How do you view the Lois and Clark dynamics?
ddf
I think the best way to answer that is to write stories.

Who wears the pants in the Lane-Kent home?
ddf
Both of them. When he's not wearing tights and she's not wearing a skirt, that is...

3. I live in Indonesia and the comics that we get are usually at least two or three weeks behind. I'd love to be able to legally download comics from DC. I've always wondered why there are no icomics websites where paying international readers like me can get the latest issue on the same day they're available in the US. Is there any plans at DC for something like that?
ddf
None I'm aware of. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to do that without the material getting widely pirated.

4. Will we be seeing Mr. Stuart Immonen's art again in one of the books?
ddf
He's exclusive to Marvel at present.

5. I read somewhere that the current Superman will be revealed to be the E-1 Silver Age Supes. I thought that he retired with his Lois in that Alan Moore story -- so how could he became our Superman?
ddf
There have been a lot of continuity revisions since then, so anything's possible. However, I expect you're taking someone else's comment too literally. And since I'm not the guy who said it, I don't think I need to be able to explain how it might be possible.

6. Please write an issue that has Boeuf Bourguignon with Ketchup in it. Enough with this tofu-munching Superman already. The guy was raised in a farm. He's gotta love his meat.
ddf
While I don't think of Superman as a vegetarian by any stretch of the imagination, I think whoever came up with "boeuf bourguignon with ketchup" must have never seen the stuff. It's a stew. You don't put ketchup on stew. Beef Wellington, maybe. Bourguignon, no.

http://stephaneruiz75.free.fr/img/boeufbourguignon.jpg

kdb

Visit http://www.busiek.com — for all your Busiek needs!
Old March 24th, 2006   bizarromark is offline   #3
bizarromark
Geoffan

I think whoever came up with "boeuf bourguignon with ketchup" must have never seen the stuff. It's a stew. You don't put ketchup on stew. Beef Wellington, maybe. Bourguignon, no.
ddf
Kurt Busiek
My best guess is that is was Elliot S. Maggin who started the Beef Bourguignon thing. The first time I recall seeing it was in one of his stories.

Probably a safe bet it wasn't Jerry Siegel. If he did, Superman most likely would have dangled the Beef Bourguignon high over Metropolis, then knocked it through the wall with a devastating haymaker punch.

-Mark Engblom

Comic Coverage. Because the world needed another blog about comic books.
Old March 24th, 2006   bizarromark is offline   #4
bizarromark
Geoffan

My question: Kurt, do you recall the first Superman story you ever read? If so, which one was it?

-Mark Engblom

Old March 24th, 2006   Kurt Busiek is offline   #5
Kurt Busiek
professional

My question: Kurt, do you recall the first Superman story you ever read? If so, which one was it?
ddf
bizarromark
Don't recall. Probably something I read in the barbershop.

kdb

Old March 24th, 2006   Captain Kal is offline   #6
Captain Kal
Kwisatz Haderach

While I don't think of Superman as a vegetarian by any stretch of the imagination, I think whoever came up with "boeuf bourguignon with ketchup" must have never seen the stuff. It's a stew. You don't put ketchup on stew. Beef Wellington, maybe. Bourguignon, no.

kdb
ddf
Kurt Busiek
I believe it was Loeb or possibly Kelly in the OWAW story arc when "with ketchup" was mentioned. I don't think it ever came up before or since. In the context of that story, it was a code phrase Superman/Clark sent to Lois via Jimmy to let Lois know he's OK, just like the rural folks used code words/phrases to do the same thing. The fact that the phrase was odd and made no sense was probably deliberate so no one would accidentally say it nor stumble upon it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's ever been mentioned outside that code phrase scene nor has Clark ever claimed to actually have eaten it with ketchup.

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama

http://www.freewebs.com/gothalchemist/
Old March 24th, 2006   Erik Sternberger is offline   #7
Erik Sternberger
Apathetic Revolutionary

ddf
Kurt Busiek
My dad would. When he was growing up he DID put ketchup in his soups and stews.

My dad was wierd.

I like this corn bread so much, I want to take it behind a middle school and get it pregnant.
Old March 24th, 2006   Bizarro #98 is offline   #8
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

Kurt, I just thought of a question so important to me that I can't believe I haven't already asked it.

How do you prefer your Bizarro? Single menace or an entire cubic planet full of them?

Old March 24th, 2006   Lundonj is offline   #9
Lundonj
Haggard Horseman

My dad was wierd.
ddf
Erik Sternberger
No, your dad was wise. Ketchup is the nectar of the gods. I thought I had tried it on just about everything. I just hadn't thought about adding it to stew...yet.

I think it might just work.

-Don

By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth. -- George Carlin
Old March 24th, 2006   bizarromark is offline   #10
bizarromark
Geoffan

How do you prefer your Bizarro? Single menace or an entire cubic planet full of them?
ddf
Bizarro #98
Inquiring Bizarros want to know!

Personally, I prefer the Bizarroworld model. Something about an entire planet devoted to illogic and chaos that just appeals to me.

-Mark Engblom

Old March 24th, 2006   curiouswanderer is offline   #11
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

Hi Kurt, I had planned on dropping the S-titles at OYL not because of freative teams or anything like that, just simply for monetary reasons (have you noticed the prices on these things lately?!) But having read that you plan on using Maxima...I'm hooked. She's long been one of my favorite characters. So, just wanted to say thanks and I'm looking forward to your run.

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien
Old March 24th, 2006   mandoImissmst3k is offline   #12
mandoImissmst3k
you should sue supercuts

you know, now that it's mentioned, I always thought a meal with that many vowels didn't seem like a very superman meal. I dunno, I always figured Clark for a really good cheeseburger kinda guy.

Here's a spoiler: you will die alone.
Old March 24th, 2006   Mavericwing is offline   #13
Mavericwing
Neo Geoffan

My dad was wierd.
ddf
Erik Sternberger

My mom always put ketchup in her chicken noodle soup...

Old March 24th, 2006   Captain Kal is offline   #14
Captain Kal
Kwisatz Haderach

No, your dad was wise. Ketchup is the nectar of the gods. I thought I had tried it on just about everything. I just hadn't thought about adding it to stew...yet.

I think it might just work.

-Don
ddf
Lundonj
Go back to the name of the dish: Boeuf bourguignon. It's a French dish. French chefs have a fit if you ask to add ketchup to anything they make. It's a high insult to them as the taste should be fine just the way they prepared it so it shouldn't need anything else.

Saying a French dish that's having ketchup added to it is not only odd but a very neat code phrase as I stated earlier. I don't think Clark or Lois are so unsophisticated that they'd be unaware about how inappropriate it would be to put ketchup on anything French (outside French fries, of course). They are world class journalists, after all, who've probably seen the highs and lows of cultures throughout the world. French cuisine is certainly amongst their experiences.

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama

http://www.freewebs.com/gothalchemist/
Old March 24th, 2006   Kurt Busiek is offline   #15
Kurt Busiek
professional

Kurt, I just thought of a question so important to me that I can't believe I haven't already asked it.

ddf
Bizarro #98
Both work okay for me.

I love the planet, but a little of it goes a long way, so mostly, just the one works fine...

kdb

Old March 24th, 2006   sandy1 is offline   #16
sandy1

Kurt,

Thanks for your answers!

I don't have any plans, myself -- they're still only recently married in the comics, of course. There is an anniversary of sorts in #654, but it's not a wedding anniversary.

But with everything's that has happened since the wedding plus the one year jumps at the end of For Tommorow and OYL, they must have been married at least a couple of years, right? It would be nice to see an anniversary of some sort.

I think the best way to answer that is to write stories.

I am looking forward to that since I think that the way relationship was handled in Secret Identity was one of my favorite part of that story.

Both of them. When he's not wearing tights and she's not wearing a skirt, that is...

When he is wearing the tights and she is wearing the pants... that's when Superman got emasculated by his marriage I don't get why some people are so threathened by Lois. Is it really that difficult to write her?

None I'm aware of. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to do that without the material getting widely pirated.

I am obviously a luddite, but is it more difficult than, say, preventing music people buy from iTunes getting pirated? I've always thought that there are business considerations involved instead of concerns about copyright violation. The way I see it, if such a service is available, I'd be spending even more money on the comics. First, I'd download the comic to read, and then i'd buy the print copy for my collection. And then if I really like the story, I'd buy the trade several months later. More bucks for DC!

He's exclusive to Marvel at present.

That's a shame.

There have been a lot of continuity revisions since then, so anything's possible. However, I expect you're taking someone else's comment too literally. And since I'm not the guy who said it, I don't think I need to be able to explain how it might be possible.

I thought that Dan Didio said that in one of his interviews with Newsarama. He also said (if I remember correctly) that the final origin will be the Birthright origin. I just wish that the continuity issue will be addressed soon since now it is quite confusing.

I have always thought that he put ketchup on it because Lois is such a bad cook...