The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 15th, 2005   Jake Karnak is offline   #1
Jake Karnak
Writing a novel... slowly

Default Batman Begins Reviews!!! Spoiler Warning!

Hey gang,
Saw the 7 pm sneak screening of Batman Begins on Tuesday. And I loved it. More martial arts, better villains, and the best dialogue of any of the previous Batman films. Caine's Alfred is easily the warmest and most well-rounded of all time. While the movie didn't NEED a female lead, we fans finally got a SANE one. Cillian's Scarecrow was quietly creepy, and the film's other villains didn't disappoint. But specifics would be SPOILERS!

SO

GO AWAY

IF YOU

DON'T LIKE

SPOILERS!

I

MEAN

IT!
SPOILER. Highlight below text to read

Things I liked: allusions to the Loeb/Long Halloween line of stories, the gizmo from Year One, the moment the "new car" crashes through a black and yellow stripped stanchion (see West, Adam), ALL THE GREAT DIALOGUE, scenes with James Gordon (and family), the guest cameo characters, and the way Gotham looked both pre-and post- Wayne murders was spectacular.

Things I didn't like:
The final escape of the Batmobile was sort of a let-down... jumping car or not, it would have left tracks to find. The doomsday weapon being microwave based yet usable INSIDE A MOVING METAL TRAIN. Not the smartest science advisor I guess.

Still, the dialogue alone proves Goyer can write for film once and for all, and a sequel (maybe leapfrogging the other films) could be great if the whole creative team returns.

I prefer this film to Hellboy, but NOT Sin City or either Spidey flick. It's a solid B+.

J_K

To understand the world, look within yourself. The opposite also applies.

Now fortified with scarcasm!
Old June 15th, 2005   filmwiz33 is offline   #2
filmwiz33
The Geoffan Joker!

SPOILER AHEAD

Ok. What cameo characters were there. I didn't notice any. And did u like the whole Liam Nieson is Ra's Al Guhl thing?

Even though I'm 15, I'm still one sexy devil.
Old June 15th, 2005   Jake Karnak is offline   #3
Jake Karnak
Writing a novel... slowly

Default More Spoilers

SPOILER AHEAD

Ok. What cameo characters were there. I didn't notice any. And did u like the whole Liam Nieson is Ra's Al Guhl thing?
ddf
filmwiz33

MORE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Zsasz and a very young Babs were two I saw. There were a lot of semi-references (Commissioner Loeb) that were harder to catch. I could take Ra's al Ghul either way, frankly.

J_K

To understand the world, look within yourself. The opposite also applies.

Now fortified with scarcasm!
Old June 15th, 2005   CapeandCowl is offline   #4
CapeandCowl
Gad Fly

Spilers............

Ok, the BEST Batman movie ever. I'll go so far to rank it above Spidey 2, thanks to the characterization and darker mood.

We finally get a Gordon who is not a brainless dork. Alfred was fantasic and the holy crap Batmobile was awesome.

As for suprise guest apperances, the one at the end was just great (even though you don't see him). Everyone in the theatre I was at cheered when Gordon handed that package to Bats.

My one and only real complaint is....when will they be able to build a Bat suit that allows the actor to turn his head??

Old June 15th, 2005   DarqueGuy is offline   #5
DarqueGuy
Advanced Geoffan

Loved, loved, LOVED this movie. Every angle, every aspect of it worked for me. I'd suspected Neeson would be Ra's from the way he looked (particularly the beard) and because, with everything else being so accurate, why cast Al Ghul with an actor of different ethnicity?

Also, let me just say that this is the first Batman-type thing EVER (be it comics, tv, movies) where I actually gave a **** about the Waynes dying. The kid they got to play young Bruce was great and the scene with him telling Alfred it was his fault actually brought a tear to my eye.

Finally, as much as I loved all of the cast (even Katie Holmes), I have to give special credit to Gary Oldman. Here's a guy who I know from nothing but wild roles (Dracula, Lee Harvey Oswald, the corrupt cop in the Professional..."EVERYONE!!!") and he just blew me away playing a regular, down-to-earth, even slightly schlubby Gordon. Sometimes less is more and Oldman's subdued performance here is perfect example of that.

I might go see this again tomorrow. I haven't gone to see a movie twice forever, let alone the day after.

Old June 15th, 2005   Lord malvolio is offline   #6
Lord malvolio
Jordan Fan Extreme

Yes, a VERY good movie! Finally! This puts DC back in the running for movies! Move over Spiderman!

Visit emerald dawn dot com for all your GL needs!

"Geoff has taken the lemon and made lemonade." in reference to Emerald Twilight and Rebirth
Old June 15th, 2005   NSP is offline   #7
NSP
Eel O'Brian

THIS is the way Batman should be! It really is Batman BEGINS. The previous pathetic excuses for Batman movies hopefully will fade into the background and let the true Batman series shine! Great movie.

NSP

p.s.

The Joker leaving his 'calling card' at the end was awesome!

Thank you Jack Cole....

" I promise one thing before I die or retire: I will make Plastic Man cool."
-Ethan Van Sciver
Old June 15th, 2005   avathar476 is offline   #8
avathar476
Vagabond

It seems that Batman Begins threads keep on mushrooming everywhere in these forums.

" For every season there's a reason."
Old June 16th, 2005   thunderdude is offline   #9
thunderdude
Prince of Pizza!

As I said in the other thread, this was a great movie! It could have used a Talia appearance, but the cast was great! Oh and of course Katie Holmes was hot!

I love it when a plan comes together in the Multiverse!
Old June 16th, 2005   Darth Vader is offline   #10
Darth Vader
Neo Geoffan

You can read (or in an hour or so, listen) to my SPOILER FREE review over at my blog.

http://www.meauxses.blogspot.com

Vader

"Give yourself to the dark side."
Vader/Batman in 2008!
Old June 16th, 2005   chrisbenes is offline   #11
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

No Spoilers....

All I have to say is this movie was Amazing. I was speechless as I left the theater....Christian Bale was by far the best Batman (in the Movies) out of the bunch. THIS MOVIE WILL BLOW YOU AWAY !!!!!

Old June 16th, 2005   allanf is offline   #12
allanf
Geoffan

Saw it. Loved it. Christian Bale redefines the screen Batman AND the screen Bruce Wayne, something no one's been able to do. You know what I loved most? Gordon's Chicago accent, straight out of Year One. An attention to detail like that permeates the whole movie, and it is the better for it.

"Swear To Me!!!!"

Awesome.

Old June 16th, 2005   Batty Pete is offline   #13
Batty Pete
Geoffan

Definite A+ movie for me. Much better than Spider-Man 2, which I loved, and yes better than Sin City IMO.

The only thing I took any issue with in this movie is Batman telling Rachel his secret ID. I am SOOOO sick of that in comic book movies. It's done in EVERY Batman movie, and Spider-Man 2 plus others I'm sure. I just don't see the reason for having a secret ID if you are going to give it out.

But then I was able to at least rationalize this one since Rashel is a life-long friend and has always been there for him. It's not like ripping off your mask because it is torn a bit and letting a train load of people see who you are or your super villain. It's not like you or your butler giving it away just so you can get some action. It made sense here and so while I am still not happy about it I can't deny that it worked well.

Other than that it was a flawless movie, and the whole Liam Neeson is Ra's was a great shocker. THAT was brilliant. I am surprised it stayed a secret this long, but I am sure glad it did.

One thing I don't understand though is that in the end credits they list Liam as Ducard and Ken Watanabee as Ra's. Surely, in the end credits they could have listed it accurately. Not that it matters. I just found it a bit odd.

Oh, and how about that Hans Zimmer score. Utter genius.

This movie was the Batman movie we were all waiting for. I remember when Batman came out in 89 and Pete Travers, movie critic for Rolling Stone, said that was the movie of the decade. I wonder what he thinks about this one as Batman Begins makes Batman look like an Adam West episode in comparison.

Old June 16th, 2005   CapeandCowl is offline   #14
CapeandCowl
Gad Fly

Yeah the score kicked. I am going to have to pick it up.

The bit with telling Rachel who he is....that didn't bother me so much really. When it happened in Batman and Batman Returns, it was just sorta dumb. But you can understand why he does it here. There are only three people that Bruce has a tight relationship with in the flim - Alfred, Ras and Rachel. Alfred knows everything, Ras he is at odds with so that leaves Rachel. That scene when he sees her again for the first time after his return was great. He tries to tell her that he is just putting on a front because - and man Bale played this well - he doesn't want her to be disapointed in him.

To me, Rachel serves a very similar function in Batman Begins as Lesile Tompkins does in the comics. Remember, Leslie is often the one who acts as an anchor for Bruce. She doesn't really care about "Batman" but for Bruce. She, like Rachel does, knows that Bruce is sort of lost in his life long grief, guilt and anger and stays around to try and help him get over it...even in a small way. I think, if there are sequels, that Rachel should stick around because her ongoing relationship with Bruce could be very interesting.

Old June 16th, 2005   Atom-Smasher is offline   #15
Atom-Smasher
Master Geoffan

Well, actually, four people know who Batman is. Lucius won't come out and say it but you know he knows--and that's what makes him awesome.

Go to the Nexus--you'll be glad you did!

The Nexus: Your Hub for Online Fandom
Old June 16th, 2005   CapeandCowl is offline   #16
CapeandCowl
Gad Fly

yeah. that's could be. Lucius was so awesome. He was so sly and cool about everything.