The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old December 4th, 2009   Paul_King is offline   #113
Paul_King
Make Mine Marvel Cosmic!

So Wally is officially the John Stewart of the Flash universe. Two panels (or is it three) just like John Stewart supposedly being a character in the GL title but not even showing up until the tail end of the second year.

I passed.

Maybe if it is more "Flash" and less "Barry solo" in issue #2, I'll go back and pick up issue one.

One more issue of Flash: Rebirth and then I'm out. Depending on the Wally back-up, I may get the monthly but it is looking less and less likely.

-Paul

"You wrote 'The world doesn't need a Savior' but everyday I hear people crying for one." - Superman Returns
Old December 4th, 2009   Lee H is offline   #114
Lee H
Geoffan

The solicitation was misleading. It made it sound like the issue would be a Barry/Wally team-up, but Wally's panels were little more than cameos. Unexpected characters like Black Lantern Solovar and Tar Pit got more dialogue and panels than Wally West.

This isn't a problem with the comic, just a problem with the solicitation.

Old December 4th, 2009   Bizarro #98 is offline   #115
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

Because something new is being retroactively inserted into past continuity.
ddf
Kelson View Post
But it's not past continuity. It's future continuity. Professor Zoom's childhood won't happen until hundreds of years after the present day DCU.

We know what the DC Universe looks like after the end. There's this guy in a cloak and floating rocks and lots of purpleness everywhere. Everything is retroactive compared to that.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old December 4th, 2009   heffison is offline   #116
heffison
Lapsed Reader

I fully agree with you on all points. I really liked this issue and while Sciver's art has been nice on Rebirth I don't really think it has been worth the wait when I see Kolins art here. Had Kolins done Rebirth it would have been finished 6 months ago.

And I REALLY don't like the traumatic past and hoped that it would be reversed by the end of Rebirth but then the entire series would have been for nothing I guess as that's been the big mystery.

I just hope the new book will be more like this and less like Rebirth (except for the fact that I wouldn't mind more speedsters to show up)
ddf
Tenzel Kim View Post
Was Flash:Rebirth originally supposed to be completely finished by the time Blackest Night:Flash came out? I think it'd be pretty cool if events earlier in Rebirth had an impact on Barry's actions in the BN mini, and might result in his trying to prevent Prof. Zoom's resurrection. Then the last issue or so of Rebirth could reflect the changes.

But yeah, the murder of Barry's mom needs to be fixed, one way or another. Maybe that's the first arc of the ongoing title.

Old December 4th, 2009   JRM is offline   #117
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

But it's not past continuity. It's future continuity. Professor Zoom's childhood won't happen until hundreds of years after the present day DCU.

We know what the DC Universe looks like after the end. There's this guy in a cloak and floating rocks and lots of purpleness everywhere. Everything is retroactive compared to that.
ddf
Bizarro #98 View Post
LOL

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old December 4th, 2009   Lee H is offline   #118
Lee H
Geoffan

If Barry prevents Thawne's rebirth then Thawne would never have been able to orchestrate Barry's rebirth, thus Barry wouldn't have been able to prevent Thawne's rebirth.

PARADOX.

Old December 4th, 2009   Sentinel119 is offline   #119
Sentinel119
Supreme Geoffan

If Barry prevents Thawne's rebirth then Thawne would never have been able to orchestrate Barry's rebirth, thus Barry wouldn't have been able to prevent Thawne's rebirth.

PARADOX.
ddf
Lee H View Post
The Zoom in Rebirth could be from an alternate universe.

"Bible, Wrath of Kahn. What's the difference?"
Cyclops was Right
Old December 4th, 2009   Kelson is offline   #120
Kelson
Neo Geoffan

Was Flash:Rebirth originally supposed to be completely finished by the time Blackest Night:Flash came out?
ddf
heffison View Post
Yes. Flash: Rebirth was #6 was originally scheduled for September 30, so it would definitely have been done by the time this mini launched.

Sooner or later, you realize that Lucy is never going to let you kick the damn football.

Speed Force - Flash news and commentary
Old December 4th, 2009   Kelson is offline   #121
Kelson
Neo Geoffan

The solicitation was misleading. It made it sound like the issue would be a Barry/Wally team-up, but Wally's panels were little more than cameos. Unexpected characters like Black Lantern Solovar and Tar Pit got more dialogue and panels than Wally West.

This isn't a problem with the comic, just a problem with the solicitation.
ddf
Lee H View Post
Looking back at it, it reads more as a solicitation for the whole miniseries, rather than for this issue.

Sooner or later, you realize that Lucy is never going to let you kick the damn football.

Speed Force - Flash news and commentary
Old December 4th, 2009   Lee H is offline   #122
Lee H
Geoffan

It does come across that way doesn't it? Would've worked on the back of a trade paperback, if it were getting its own collection.

One thing I really loved about this issue was its fast pace. Reverse-Flash is revived and then attacks Flash immediately! Then Flash throws him in the air and decides to deal with him later! Then he takes a detour to Africa and there's a huge gorilla war happening! Then he he heads to Coast City and oh no something bad is about to happen! And during all of this the Rogues are preparing to go shoot some zombies but oh snap because Zombie Mirror Master is already onto them.

Lots. Of. STUFF. Happening! Atareallyfastpace!

Old December 5th, 2009   Fastest is offline   #123
Fastest
Geoffan

This was a really great issue.

I was hoping Owen would be in it more, but I guess we can't spoil all the surprises in the first issue.

Captain Cold's last line really made me realize how much I miss the rogues. Especially Geoff wrting them. There are essentially 2 kinds of Flash stories, cosmicy speed forcey Flash: Rebirth type stories, and street level rogue filled stories. I love them both and I'm glad to be getting both simultaneously.

"Long-form writing only works if you follow through on it."-Kelson
Old December 5th, 2009   Kyer is offline   #124
Kyer
Sorry MkBear

The Zoom in Rebirth could be from an alternate universe.
ddf
Sentinel119 View Post
Professor Zoom.

(Couldn't help paraphrasing Harry Potter there. )

Whoa---do NOT bring up the multiverse. Unless you want someone to dream up the concept Crisis on Infinite Black Lanternized Earths! for the next annual Crisis?

People had been working for so many years to make the world a safe organized place. Nobody realized how boring it would become. ~Palahniuk
Old December 5th, 2009   JME2 is offline   #125
JME2
Geoffan

Professor Zoom.

(Couldn't help paraphrasing Harry Potter there. )

Whoa---do NOT bring up the multiverse. Unless you want someone to dream up the concept Crisis on Infinite Black Lanternized Earths! for the next annual Crisis?
ddf
Kyer View Post
Yeah.

No, as Kelson observed a while back, I think it's clear that the Revere-Flash's personal timeline is, well, reversed, but Geoff may have a twist up his sleeve.

Old December 5th, 2009   Kyer is offline   #126
Kyer
Sorry MkBear

No, as Kelson observed a while back, I think it's clear that the Revere-Flash's personal timeline is, well, reversed, but Geoff may have a twist up his sleeve.
ddf
JME2 View Post
I think the 'twist' is that Professor Zoom's time line is pretzelled more than reversed...like his brain. I'm still trying to unravel the idea that this whole thing started because he idolized Barry and then got mad because Barry killed him...as Professor Zoom. See? All pretzelly. The soft kind as it tends to get even more warped out of shaped as time goes by rather than just cracking into splintery pieces like the hard kind. But I may be wrong there.

People had been working for so many years to make the world a safe organized place. Nobody realized how boring it would become. ~Palahniuk
Old December 6th, 2009   Fastest is offline   #127
Fastest
Geoffan

Yeah.

ddf
JME2 View Post
Watch out, it's the Revere-Flash!!!

"Long-form writing only works if you follow through on it."-Kelson
Old December 6th, 2009   Kyer is offline   #128
Kyer
Sorry MkBear

Watch out, it's the Revere-Flash!!!

ddf
Fastest View Post
Oh, that was just....awful.