The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Convention Season and Cosplay

Convention Season and Cosplay Where are you going? Who are you going to meet there? Who are you going to be?

Old August 15th, 2007   Kelson is offline   #1
Kelson
Neo Geoffan

Default Recommended cons in California?

With San Diego getting so crowded, I'm looking at trying to go to one or two smaller conventions that will still be fun, but a lot less hectic.

Can anyone recommend some good scifi/fantasy/comic conventions in or near the Southern California area?

So far I'm looking at:

Wizard World Los Angeles - I caught Sunday this year, and found it very relaxing compared to Comic-Con. I'm seriously thinking of going at least two days next year.

Loscon - I used to go every year, but it really went downhill earlier this decade, and I haven't been back since 2002. Has anyone gone more recently, and if so, has it picked up again?

Westercon - I see it's in Las Vegas next year, which is reasonably close, though I'm not sure about traveling to two cons in the same month -- plus it's the desert in July, not to mention Las Vegas on a holiday weekend.

Any comments on these? Recommendations for other cons in the area? Recommendations for cons further away that are worth traveling to?

Thanks in advance!

Sooner or later, you realize that Lucy is never going to let you kick the damn football.

Speed Force - Flash news and commentary
Old August 15th, 2007   Jorge Galvan is offline   #2
Jorge Galvan
Supporters

WONDERCON in San Francsico is a FAVE of mine, lotsa fun BEAUTIFUL CITY!!!

um..Westercon, never heard of it any details????

I do remember tge ONCE A MONTHcomic show at the SHRINE THEATREin LA, it was interesting....

Old August 16th, 2007   Kelson is offline   #3
Kelson
Neo Geoffan

WONDERCON in San Francsico is a FAVE of mine, lotsa fun BEAUTIFUL CITY!!!
ddf
Jorge Galvan View Post
Hmm, I'd been thinking of travel mainly in terms of getting to the con, but you bring up a good point: it's not just the distance, it's the location. I haven't been to San Francisco in about 5 years -- I could take the full week off and just do a vacation in the bay area that ends with the con.

Thanks for the idea!
um..Westercon, never heard of it any details????
ddf
It's a long-running sci-fi/fantasy con that travels around the western US. I went to one in LA right before I started college (1994!), but haven't been to any since then. There's a little info at westercon.org, but it's really bare bones. Each year the con is run by a different group local to the city hosting it, and groups bid to host upcoming cons a few years in advance (kind of like Worldcon). The sites for the individual conventions (linked from there) have more detail.

Sooner or later, you realize that Lucy is never going to let you kick the damn football.

Old August 17th, 2007   grendel824 is offline   #4
grendel824

I was told that Wondercon and APE might be free with your SDCC badge, too. Does anybody know anything about this?

PS: Hi, Kelson - it's Ed from CQ!

Old August 17th, 2007   The Krystal Method is offline   #5
The Krystal Method
My <:3_)~ likes HAUS

WWLA has been sooooooooo boring the past two years honestly.

"We tell lies about each other because the truth is such a bore."
Old August 17th, 2007   Argent is offline   #6
Argent*
Puppet Headed Horseman

Just wanna pimp my convention for all the gamers on the Bloc - http://www.dundracon.com

If you play it, we'll probably have it running sometime over the 4 day weekend.

It's not just a podcast, it's a GEEK TRAGEDY!
Old August 19th, 2007   Kelson is offline   #7
Kelson
Neo Geoffan

I was told that Wondercon and APE might be free with your SDCC badge, too. Does anybody know anything about this?

PS: Hi, Kelson - it's Ed from CQ!
ddf
grendel824 View Post
Hi, there! I didn't know you were on this board!

I haven't heard anything about free admission, but if so, that would be very nice...

WWLA has been sooooooooo boring the past two years honestly.
ddf
The Krystal Method View Post
Hmm... I thought the lack of excitement when I went was just because it was a Sunday afternoon. (I got stuck in traffic on the way in.) It's been like that all weekend?

Sounds like maybe I'd be better off skipping the local con and going up to San Francisco.