The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old July 9th, 2008   gyoung345 is offline   #17
gyoung345

Based on that clarification on DCBS shipping costs:

Shipping
Badger = 3 (Flat shipping of $5.95, $3.95 if $40 or more, different shipping frequencies [monthly, bi-monthly, weekly], save money by shipping monthly. Bi-monthly shipping equals $3.95 * 2 = $7.90)
SciFi Genre = 2 (Flat shipping of $5.95, different shipping frequencies [monthly, bi-weekly, weekly], save money by shipping monthly. Bi-weekly shipping equals $5.95 * 2 = $11.90)
DCBS = 2 (Flat shippng of $5.95 for monthly shipping [monthly charges additional for bi-monthly and weekly]. Bi-monthly shipping equals $5.95 + $5.95 bi-monthly shipping charge = $11.90))

Average Score
Badger = 2.50
SciFi Genre = 2.25
DCBS = 1.50

Old July 9th, 2008   gyoung345 is offline   #18
gyoung345

Default Updated Review

Recently I changed from the LCS to mail order comics. I initially did this study when I picked Sci-Fi Genre, but again recently decided to do a more thorough comparison against some of their competitors.

Using my pull list I found that DBCS was barely the cheapest (though if you have to pay for bags and boards that is not the case), next would be Badger, followed by Sci-Fi Genre. This is based on a monthly pull list of roughly 70 books (51 books are monthly titles, the others are mini-series or limited runs). I like to have my books shipped to me every couple of weeks.

Below is the Advantages/Disadvantages of each service.

Sci-Fi Genre (www.scifigenre.com)
Advantages
Free bags and boards. Many shipping options. Monthly comics qualify towards their discount quota. If your pull list contains comics they consider regular series you qualify for higher discounts. Their discount tier is in 5% increments starting at 5% discount for 1-4 titles and topping out at 35% for 51 or more titles. You order by title. It is organized by publisher then you pick which titles you want. You keep getting them until you cancel them. No need to update your order every month if you get regular titles. No deadlines to meet other than when the books are scheduled to ship. You can also browse their back issue store and have the items shipped with your subscription. (Tip! when a book ends it's run, it may stay on your sub list for a couple of months, which counts towards your discount quota, until it finally falls off). Since I have used Sci-Fi I can actually comment on their service. I have subscribed through them since April and have no problems. A couple of times a book has been backordered, but I always received it in my following shipment.

Disadvantages
Discounts are fixed based on what subscription tier you are in. If you subscribe to a low volume of books then Sci-Fi Genre probably won't give you the best deal.

Cost Analysis
75 Books per month, 35% discount, shipping bi-weekly, bags and boards included, total cost including shipping is $165.15 per month. $73.70 savings off cover price. To put in perspective, the cost from local comic shop for same books would be $238.85 less 10% discount plus tax plus bags and boards (approximately $223). Savings of $58 a month versus going to the LCS (plus gas and time savings!).

DCBS (http://www.dcbservice.com)
Advantages
Flat shipping rate of $5.95 regardless of quantity. Good discounts. Most all books are 40% off from major publishers (DC, Marvel). Other publishers seem to be 35% off. However, they offer steeper discounts on individual issues. Nova for September was 50% off as was Batman and the Outsiders. Looks like you have to use previews and create your order every month, which allows you to stay on top of new issues. The offer discounts to members of ComicBloc forums. Has a feature called Pull List that helps you fill out your order each month. Shipping options are he flat rate. For the standard rate of $5.95 you get shipments once a month. Going to a semi-monthly or weekly shipping schedule costs only an additional $5.95 and $11.95 per month respectively.

Disadvantages
You have to stay on top of you pull list because if you don't add items for the next month you get nothing. Must create the order. No bags and boards (that I could tell from the website).

Cost Analysis
75 Books per month, 40% average discount, ship monthly, total cost including shipping is $156.91 per month. $81.94 savings off cover price. To put in perspective, the cost from local comic shop for same books would be $238.85 less 10% discount plus tax plus bags and boards (approximately $223). Savings of $66 a month versus going to the LCS (plus gas and time savings!).

Badger Comics (www.badgercomics.com)
Advantages
Flat shipping rates of $5.95 ($3.95 for orders > $40). Shipping options are available for weekly, bi-monthly, and monthly at no additional cost other than the flat shipping rate. Standard 40% discounts on most titles. Looks like you have to use previews and create your order every month, which allows you to stay on top of new issues. Has a feature called autofill that will build your new subscription order for you based on past orders. You can purchase bags and boards for $0.10 per book.

Disadvantages
Monthly you have to enter your order. But they do have the autofill feature that will cut down on the time you need to spend building your order.

Cost Analysis
75 Books per month, 40% discount, ship bi-monthly, total cost including shipping and $0.10 bags/boards per book is $158.71 per month. To put in perspective, the cost from local comic shop for same books would be $238.85 less 10% discount plus tax plus bags and boards (approximately $223). Savings of $65 a month versus going to the LCS (plus gas and time savings!).

Conclusion
Below I rank them on different factors and give an average overall score. I would recommend you do the same for your preferences for each of these categories to see which one would fit your preferences.

Shipping
Badger = 3 (Flat shipping of $5.95, $3.95 if $40 or more, different shipping frequencies [monthly, semi-monthly, weekly], save money by shipping monthly. Semi-monthly shipping equals $3.95 * 2 = $7.90)
SciFi Genre = 2 (Flat shipping of $5.95, different shipping frequencies [monthly, bi-weekly, weekly], save money by shipping monthly. Bi-weekly shipping equals $5.95 * 2 = $11.90)
DCBS = 2 (Flat shippng of $5.95 for monthly shipping [monthly charges additional for Semi-monthly and weekly]. Semi-monthly shipping equals $5.95 * 2 = $11.90))

Bags & Boards
SciFi Genre = 3 (included)
Badger = 2 ($0.10 per book)
DCBS = 2 ($0.10 per book)

Ordering System
SciFi Genre = 3 (Comic Book Title driven subscription model, continuous subscription, set it and forget it)
Badger = 2 (Previews driven, but also ability to browse by titles, autofill feature helps fill out next months order, orders must be placed every month)
DCBS = 2 (Previews driven, but also ability to browse by titles, orders must be placed every month, Pull List feature helps fill out next months order)

Comics Prices
DCBS = 3 (Discounts of 40% off most books, also has special discounts on a month to month basis)
Badger = 2 (most discounts per book are 40%)
SciFi Genre = 1 (depends on subscription level, tiered discount to a max of 35% for 51 books or more)

Average Score
Badger = 2.25
SciFi Genre = 2.25
DCBS = 2.25

Based on these scores for how they all rank on these categories you can see that all are a wash.

So why am I still with SciFi Genre? My decision is entirely based on their ordering system. It's perpetual ordering lets me not miss an issue of some of the titles that I always collect. I only need to drop stuff I don't want or add new stuff I want. If I leave it alone, my titles will keep coming as long as a series isn't cancelled. In other words, the approximately $6.50 savings from Badger is not enough for me to change. However, if my volume drops below the 50+ titles needed for the 35% discount at SciFi Genre, I will probably reconsider. I'm not sure what the cost savings needs to be to get me to switch.

In the end it depends on what you want out of the cost vs. service and what is important to you. Use the rankings to determine which service is best for you.

Each has their pluses and minuses. Look at how often you want to log in and fill out your order, how often you want to ship, and how many books you order.
Last edited by gyoung345; July 9th, 2008 at 04:44 PM.

Old July 9th, 2008   gyoung345 is offline   #19
gyoung345

Any thought for DCBS to add the ability to have perpetual titles on your pull list? That way you don't have to remember to order each month.

Old July 9th, 2008   Feltonbass is offline   #20
Feltonbass
Yep....

I love Sci Fi Genre, they are tops when it comes to ordering or pre-ordering statues or toys.

That said, I have been a loyal customer to DCBS for over 3 years, and I have looked around from time to time and kept my pull list w/ them because, your right, it is kind of a wash, svaings average out about hte same, but DCBS has one thing the others don't.

Cameron Merker

Dude is THE TRUTH.

If I ever have an issue, problem, question...ANYTHING..Cameron gets right back to me and fixes it.

In Stock Trades, he runs that too, is just as good.

I find my slef going elsewhere only if I have credit somewhere or the off chance he doesn't have it or can't get it for me.

You can't put a price on good customer service

One man's pathetic quest to make it SDCC 2010

www.jedisnakeeyes.blogspot.com
Old July 9th, 2008   LastSun is offline   #21
LastSun
Master Geoffan

Any thought for DCBS to add the ability to have perpetual titles on your pull list? That way you don't have to remember to order each month.
ddf
gyoung345 View Post
I would say to email them. Tell them you are a perspective customer and that it is something you are interested in. I know that when they recently changed the website around they were pretty open to suggestions of ways to enhance it.

It looks great! The fat one balances the two skinny ones.

Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?
Old July 9th, 2008   gyoung345 is offline   #22
gyoung345

I love Sci Fi Genre, they are tops when it comes to ordering or pre-ordering statues or toys.

That said, I have been a loyal customer to DCBS for over 3 years, and I have looked around from time to time and kept my pull list w/ them because, your right, it is kind of a wash, svaings average out about hte same, but DCBS has one thing the others don't.

Cameron Merker

Dude is THE TRUTH.

If I ever have an issue, problem, question...ANYTHING..Cameron gets right back to me and fixes it.

In Stock Trades, he runs that too, is just as good.

I find my slef going elsewhere only if I have credit somewhere or the off chance he doesn't have it or can't get it for me.

You can't put a price on good customer service
ddf
Feltonbass View Post
I agree with you. After looking at these three services and getting clarification on somethings from others. They all have there pluses and minuses. But once you are with one and they treat you well it is hard to leave. For me, not having to fill out an order each month is golden. My LCS in Milwaukee kept a list for me of titles and then pulled them for me. When I moved to Indianapolis, the LCS made me fill out a monthly order form. On top of being 30 minutes away and having to fill out the form every month, I decided to go online. The discounts more than make up for the shipping costs, not too mention convenience. All 3 seem to be really good options. The cost difference is not huge (compared to the cost difference of LCS and mail order). For me the decision to go online versus staying at the LCS is an extra $600 a year. That is almost throwing money away if I didn't make the change. If my pull list dwindles, then I will be motivated to move to either DCBS or Badger Comics.

Old July 9th, 2008   gyoung345 is offline   #23
gyoung345

I just noticed that DCBS is in Indiana. Since I live in IN would they charge sales tax?

Old July 9th, 2008   LastSun is offline   #24
LastSun
Master Geoffan

...For me the decision to go online versus staying at the LCS is an extra $600 a year. That is almost throwing money away if I didn't make the change...
ddf
gyoung345 View Post
I know that feeling, I tried going back to a shop towards the end of 52 and after a month realized that I would either have to cut the number of comics I get in almost half or go back to buying online.

Old July 9th, 2008   Evan Meadow is offline   #25
Evan Meadow
Geoffan

I just noticed that DCBS is in Indiana. Since I live in IN would they charge sales tax?
ddf
gyoung345 View Post
Yes you would be taxed for living in the same state.

Old July 9th, 2008   bobcat zoidberg is offline   #26
bobcat zoidberg
12th level intellect

Anyone know anything about Badger's service and/or reputation? I'm using DCBS right now, doing a combined order with a friend to split the shipping costs. But if I could get my own box, with weekly shipping at a cheaper cost with Badger, that would be great. But we've never had any problems with DCBS and I'd be nervous to switch companies.

"The link between diet and diabetes is a white myth, like Larry Bird, and Colorado"
Old July 9th, 2008   gyoung345 is offline   #27
gyoung345

Yes you would be taxed for living in the same state.
ddf
Evan Meadow View Post
I guess that rules them out for me then, or at least figures into the equation now because of the extra 6% in tax.

Old July 9th, 2008   LastSun is offline   #28
LastSun
Master Geoffan

I guess that rules them out for me then, or at least figures into the equation now because of the extra 6% in tax.
ddf
gyoung345 View Post
You may want to contact them to ask, since I believe periodicals are not taxable anywhere in the US. So you would just being paying tax on nonComic things or nothing at all ( I know a couple of shops that just eat the sales tax on statues and novels ).

Old July 15th, 2008   gyoung345 is offline   #29
gyoung345

I just placed an order with DCBS for the line of Batman titles that I collect for the month of August. It does look like they have a set it and forget it option. I will experiment with it and see how it goes and post back on my experiment.

I will update my review once the books are complete.

Old August 21st, 2008   gyoung345 is offline   #30
gyoung345

My first order for DCBS just was charged and it consisted of the following 6 Batman titles listed with their cover prices.

BATMAN AND THE OUTSIDERS #11 RIP *Special Discount* $2.99
BATMAN GOTHAM AFTER MIDNITE #5 (OF 12) $2.99
BATMAN CONFIDENTIAL #21 $2.99
DETECTIVE COMICS #848 RIP $2.99
NIGHTWING #148 RIP $2.99
ROBIN #178 $2.99

My bill came to $18.18 with DCBS.
With Sci-Fi the bill would have been $16.61.

Looking at the attached image you see that the $0.60 bags and boards, $1.00 extra shipping charge and the tax cause Sci-Fi to be a little cheaper. I get the tax because I live in the state were DCBS resides, thus the tax. Odd though, that the shipping cost is taxed at the 7%.

If I lived outside the state, then DCBS would only be $16.99 or $0.38 more expensive the Sci-Fi.

Basically, the same conclusion applies. For me, Sci-Fi is the cheaper solution. If I drop below Sci-Fi's threshold for the 35% discount (50+ books a month) then I believe that DCBS would be the cheaper alternative. However, the 5% extra discount is not enough to negate the $1 more per shipment, the sales tax, and the $0.10 per bag and board.

Old August 21st, 2008   Erik Sternberger is offline   #31
Erik Sternberger
Apathetic Revolutionary

Of course, our deal usually saves you a couple bucks each month with DCBS. + A lot of the special offers DCBS will do with us, like using our code for Booster Gold #1 got you the comic for like 60 cents, if I remember correctly.

I got a DSL email yesterday saying my comics were shipped with a tracking code and they came to the house in Columbus. Ohio today. One day shipping for under $6 can't be beat! (I do weekly shipping otherwise all you hooligans would spoil every comic for me on here!)

Also, backing up the fact that Cameron IS awesome.

I like this corn bread so much, I want to take it behind a middle school and get it pregnant.
Old August 21st, 2008   gyoung345 is offline   #32
gyoung345

Is it or is it not typical to tax the shipping? I looked at another store I bought from recently and the shipping costs weren't taxed.

I know this doesn't affect people that live outside of Indiana, but I think I should point it out to them if it is something they don't need to include in the taxable amount.