The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old August 21st, 2008   LastSun is offline   #33
LastSun
Master Geoffan

My first order for DCBS just was charged and it consisted of the following 6 Batman titles listed with their cover prices.

BATMAN AND THE OUTSIDERS #11 RIP *Special Discount* $2.99
BATMAN GOTHAM AFTER MIDNITE #5 (OF 12) $2.99
BATMAN CONFIDENTIAL #21 $2.99
DETECTIVE COMICS #848 RIP $2.99
NIGHTWING #148 RIP $2.99
ROBIN #178 $2.99

My bill came to $18.18 with DCBS.
With Sci-Fi the bill would have been $16.61.

Looking at the attached image you see that the $0.60 bags and boards, $1.00 extra shipping charge and the tax cause Sci-Fi to be a little cheaper. I get the tax because I live in the state were DCBS resides, thus the tax. Odd though, that the shipping cost is taxed at the 7%.

If I lived outside the state, then DCBS would only be $16.99 or $0.38 more expensive the Sci-Fi.

Basically, the same conclusion applies. For me, Sci-Fi is the cheaper solution. If I drop below Sci-Fi's threshold for the 35% discount (50+ books a month) then I believe that DCBS would be the cheaper alternative. However, the 5% extra discount is not enough to negate the $1 more per shipment, the sales tax, and the $0.10 per bag and board.

ddf
gyoung345 View Post
It still surprises me that you get charged tax at all. In Indiana do you get charged tax in the shops? I know in IL that periodicals as a whole are not taxable.

With more titles from DCBS (since you are getting over 50 from Scifi) the shipping difference would disappear but the tax definietly eats away the $.15 per book that you would saving

It looks great! The fat one balances the two skinny ones.

Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?
Old August 21st, 2008   gyoung345 is offline   #34
gyoung345

It still surprises me that you get charged tax at all. In Indiana do you get charged tax in the shops? I know in IL that periodicals as a whole are not taxable.
ddf
LastSun View Post
Yes, we get charged tax in the shops as well.

Old August 21st, 2008   icefan13 is offline   #35
icefan13

Default Sci-Fi Genre

I have been using Sci-Fi Genre for almost two years. The discount is great, the books are bagged and boarded. I can add books right up to the day before they come out and I don't get charged a thing until they ship. This means I don't tie up money waiting for late books. I feel they have a simple easy to use website and most back issues are discounted also.

Old August 22nd, 2008   Ken Liner is offline   #36
Ken Liner
White Pawn 743 - ONLINE

Is it or is it not typical to tax the shipping? I looked at another store I bought from recently and the shipping costs weren't taxed.

I know this doesn't affect people that live outside of Indiana, but I think I should point it out to them if it is something they don't need to include in the taxable amount.
ddf
gyoung345 View Post
You should contact them, as I don't believe you should be charged shipping. It very well could be an error in their pricing system.

When I first started using DCBS over 2 years ago, their website and shopping cart were different. At that time, you had to select bi-weekly or weekly shipping from a particular menu and shipping costs were based upon your purchases, not a flat amount like today. Once you selected the frequency of the shipping, it was then added to your sub-total. This sub-total was then used to calculate final shipping costs.

I pointed out to them that the frequency costs could cause your shipping to move from a lower tier to a higher one. They recognized this, issued me a credit and took it into account when they redesigned their system.

Just let them know, and they'll treat you right.

Old August 23rd, 2008   NickKicksAssTomorrow is offline   #37
NickKicksAssTomorrow

I'm switching over to mail order for my comics, (see this thread I started) and I had a question.

Can I order comics that are coming out next month (September), or am I only able to order comics for October, as the final pre-order cut off date is at the end of this month for October?

My Web Comic: Heavenly

my other site!
Old August 23rd, 2008   LastSun is offline   #38
LastSun
Master Geoffan

I'm switching over to mail order for my comics, (see this thread I started) and I had a question.

Can I order comics that are coming out next month (September), or am I only able to order comics for October, as the final pre-order cut off date is at the end of this month for October?
ddf
NickKicksAssTomorrow View Post
I am not sure if mail order comics does it or not.

If you go with DCBS they may be able to since they have a brick n mortar shop as well as the mail order site.

It looks great! The fat one balances the two skinny ones.

Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?
Old August 23rd, 2008   gyoung345 is offline   #39
gyoung345

You can get comics for the next month from Sci-Fi. They will fill you order. If not can order back issues as well.

When I made the switch, I just placed my order a few months out and one day I just stopped having to make the trek the LCS.

Old August 25th, 2008   Terry Wood is offline   #40
Terry Wood
Geoffan

Mail Order can get some things for September, but on some items the reorder date might be past.

I've been with Mail Order for three years and have been extremely pleased.

I've only had one problem with a missing issue and they corrected it with my next shipment.

The comics come out on Wednesday and I usually have them by Friday.. of course I only live about 600 miles away from them. But, it's the quickest shipping I've ever had from any subscription service.

Old August 25th, 2008   KraziJoe is offline   #41
KraziJoe

When I started with DCBS over a year ago, they added next month to my order with no problems.
I switched over to them from Comics Now and it's been great. I have nothing bad to say about DCBS and will encourage anyone to buy from them.

Bring back the Ultraverse Prime!

Why are all the JLA Detroit men, dead?
Old September 24th, 2008   NickKicksAssTomorrow is offline   #42
NickKicksAssTomorrow

man, i switched to mail order after seeing this thread last month.

I choose Badger Comics, but when i was placing my order for this week's comics (non-pre-order) i was notified that they are not taking pre-orders as of November 2008 products for an indefinite amount of time.

i'm thinking of switching to DCBS but do they bag and board comics when they send them to you?

My Web Comic: Heavenly

my other site!
Old September 24th, 2008   bobcat zoidberg is offline   #43
bobcat zoidberg
12th level intellect

man, i switched to mail order after seeing this thread last month.

I choose Badger Comics, but when i was placing my order for this week's comics (non-pre-order) i was notified that they are not taking pre-orders as of November 2008 products for an indefinite amount of time.

i'm thinking of switching to DCBS but do they bag and board comics when they send them to you?
ddf
NickKicksAssTomorrow View Post
You have to pay extra for bags and boards. 20 cents per comic I believe (10 cents/bag, 10 cents/board)

"The link between diet and diabetes is a white myth, like Larry Bird, and Colorado"
Old October 22nd, 2010   FrankD is offline   #44
FrankD
Neo Geoffan

This thread is awesome, I mean this from a historical perspective.

I've been with DCBS almost a year as a regular subsriber 9had ordered stuff from them 5 years ago, TPBs and some single issues....

I think DCBS still has the BEST deals and BEST customer service.

I don't have the store bag and board (I'll bag and tag them myself) and get monthly shipping. Maybe someday i'll move up to weekly.