The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old July 3rd, 2009   DeTroyes is offline   #1
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

Location: Miskatonic University, Dept. of Ancient Manuscripts

Default Geoff Johns on Blackest Night Titans

In his discussion of Blackest Night, Geoff Johns has some things to say about Blackest Night: Titans:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/070903-Geoff-BN.html

NRAMA: There are several three-issue mini-series that tell the stories of characters like Batman and Superman and The Titans. Why that choice?

GJ: These stories are being told because they have a clear reason for being told. Blackest Night: Titans has a clear reason that fits into the bigger DC Universe story of Blackest Night.

And there's so much emotional material to get out of that. I mean, Superman and Superman of Earth 2 – there's a lot that James Robinson is getting out of those two characters. The same with the Titans. You've got Beast Boy and Terra. So there's just story potential and emotional potential to explore these characters, each very differently, by looking at the people that they've loved and lost, or feared and lost. That's the reason for the various mini-series that tie into Blackest Night.
ddf
Geoff Johns @ Newsarama 7/3/09
So in the case of Blackest Night: Titans, which I think is going to be the sleeper of all the mini-series, it's not there so much to explain who Terra is, but it's there to explore Beast Boy and the Titans through Terra and through the other deceased Titans. It's to explore who these characters are now through who they were and where they're going next.
ddf
Geoff Johns @ Newsarama 7/3/09

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Looking for meaning, searching for answers, finding nothing but loose change and pocket lint.
Old July 3rd, 2009   Saturn Girl is offline   #2
Saturn Girl
Thought Criminal

Yay! I'm psyched that Beast Boy is going to have a pivotal role in the mini series. Is it August yet?

I am the one who knocks.
Old July 3rd, 2009   DeTroyes is offline   #3
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

Yeah, I've noticed that. Johns is talking like Gar is a major part of the story.

Here's hoping he isn't left behind when the inevitable "Blackest Night Aftermath" mini's start rolling.

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Looking for meaning, searching for answers, finding nothing but loose change and pocket lint.
Old July 4th, 2009   Spenser for Hire is offline   #4
Spenser for Hire
Comic Reader Since 1977

I am looking forward to this series even more now.

Spenser with an s.... like the poet.

Grimjack is the man Wolverine wishes he could be.
Old July 4th, 2009   michealdark is offline   #5
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

That second quote caught my attention. I got a good feeling that the story is going to be a lot stronger than just "ZOMBIE TITANS!" after reading that. Looking at things from the angle he mentioned is a neat way of doing it, with lots of emotional potential to it.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old July 4th, 2009   LadyDiane10001 is offline   #6
LadyDiane10001

Even though Beast Boy will be a main Titan in Blackest Night--mostly because Geoff insisted on it--that still won't change the bigger problem with him. The current Titans editors do not consider him as useful a character as other Titans, in general don't care for him, and would just as soon get rid of him if they could. That won't change when Blackest Night is over, because the same people will still be in sharge.

DC has only two ideas left for Beast Boy that they're willing to use: recycle the Terra romance and turn him permanently into Menagerie. Both of which are in the cards for the next two years.

DC, please put Christopher Yost on Titans permanently!!
Old July 6th, 2009   Tamaran is offline   #7
Tamaran

Even though Beast Boy will be a main Titan in Blackest Night--mostly because Geoff insisted on it--that still won't change the bigger problem with him. The current Titans editors do not consider him as useful a character as other Titans, in general don't care for him, and would just as soon get rid of him if they could. That won't change when Blackest Night is over, because the same people will still be in charge.
ddf
LadyDiane10001 View Post
You can say that about ALL characters in the Titans team.

I expect the current "editor" is already planning a massive lineup change to re-re-relaunch the book after Blackest Night. That's the only trick that Didio and his protegees know, so we can look forward to a lineup full of d-listers and losers (see Teen Titans, another one of Didio's smash hits... LOL).

I'm buying "BN: Titans" only because Geoff is leading the creative process. Other than that the series is, and will continue to be, a total wreck as long as DD and his boys stay on.

Oh well, thank God for lots and lots of good TT stories by Wolfman & Perez!! These gems will do until DC's Crisis of Didiocy is over. Anyone knows when DD's contract is up?

Old July 6th, 2009   therealssjlink is offline   #8
therealssjlink
Master Geoffan

That's the only trick that Didio and his protegees know, so we can look forward to a lineup full of d-listers and losers (see Teen Titans, another one of Didio's smash hits... LOL).

Oh well, thank God for lots and lots of good TT stories by Wolfman & Perez!! These gems will do until DC's Crisis of Didiocy is over. Anyone knows when DD's contract is up?
ddf
Tamaran View Post
This two lines contradict themselves.

I forgot the part where ANYONE on the original lineup-> end of Perez being on Teen Titans was considered anything above a D-list character besides Robin.

Most of those characters were forgotten.

"I have no fear of failure."

May 2010
Old July 6th, 2009   JRM is offline   #9
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

This two lines contradict themselves.

I forgot the part where ANYONE on the original lineup-> end of Perez being on Teen Titans was considered anything above a D-list character besides Robin.

Most of those characters were forgotten.
ddf
therealssjlink View Post
ummm - Wally - umm he held his own Book longer than Dick did , eh...

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old July 6th, 2009   Werehunter is offline   #10
Werehunter
Master Geoffan

It is still a valid point. Both Wolfman's Titans and Claremont's X-men are considered to be classic runs that brought in a huge number of readers. Yet neither of them used many main stays of those teams at the start. Both teams consisted of characters created for those runs plus a few others tossed in. Today there are many fans who won't read a team book unless it has certain characters in it. DC fans seem to be far worse in this mindset the Marvel fans. On this forum there are tons of post that say only Superboy, Wondergirl, Kid Flash/Impluse, and Robin are the true teen titans when they've only been Titans for a small fraction of the history of that team.

If fans back then used the same thought, then neither of these runs would have lasted a year. People need to realize that it's not the characters that are ruining the books but the lack of good stories being written and the lack of long term plans that the companies are willing to stick with.

Old July 7th, 2009   michealdark is offline   #11
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

People need to realize that it's not the characters that are ruining the books but the lack of good stories being written and the lack of long term plans that the companies are willing to stick with.
ddf
Werehunter View Post
Booyah!

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old July 7th, 2009   therealssjlink is offline   #12
therealssjlink
Master Geoffan

ummm - Wally - umm he held his own Book longer than Dick did , eh...

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post
Hmm..Wally had his own book pre-1985..?

The quote was complaining about the book and saying stuff about D-list characters when both the first Teen Titans series and the second series had d-list characters (Tamaran saying "at least we have the Wolfman/Perez stories...well, guess what? We wouldn't have those if they used A-B list characters. Robin was an exception).

Since the whole concept of the Teen Titans is supposed to be a team of sidekicks, well...

"I have no fear of failure."

May 2010
Old July 7th, 2009   JRM is offline   #13
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Hmm..Wally had his own book pre-1985..?

The quote was complaining about the book and saying stuff about D-list characters when both the first Teen Titans series and the second series had d-list characters (Tamaran saying "at least we have the Wolfman/Perez stories...well, guess what? We wouldn't have those if they used A-B list characters. Robin was an exception).

Since the whole concept of the Teen Titans is supposed to be a team of sidekicks, well...
ddf
therealssjlink View Post
Sorru mis-understood. Your orginal point is taken. However, I do think that even then Wally was higher than a D-list - he was at least a C-lister

Jim

Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old July 7th, 2009   JRM is offline   #14
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

... Today there are many fans who won't read a team book unless it has certain characters in it. DC fans seem to be far worse in this mindset the Marvel fans. On this forum there are tons of post that say only Superboy, Wondergirl, Kid Flash/Impluse, and Robin are the true teen titans when they've only been Titans for a small fraction of the history of that team.

If fans back then used the same thought, then neither of these runs would have lasted a year. People need to realize that it's not the characters that are ruining the books but the lack of good stories being written and the lack of long term plans that the companies are willing to stick with.
ddf
Werehunter View Post
Very valid points -

I just don't know what the solution is - I guess it is go for quality work ...

Jim

The LSH ... RIP
Old July 8th, 2009   Askanipsion is offline   #15
Askanipsion
Geoffan

Anyone heard yet if Lilith will show up in Blackest Night Titans?

All I ever hear about is Terra.

BRING BACK LILITH !!!!

DC save the "Titans"!!
Old July 8th, 2009   DeTroyes is offline   #16
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

Anyone heard yet if Lilith will show up in Blackest Night Titans?

All I ever hear about is Terra.
ddf
Askanipsion View Post
Nope, but I'm pretty sure she'll be there.

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?