The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old October 18th, 2009   Heatwave the Rogue is offline   #1
Heatwave the Rogue
Barry Allen's #1 fan!

Default Blackest Night: Flash #2 solicit

BLACKEST NIGHT: THE FLASH #2
Written by Geoff Johns
Art and cover by Scott Kolins
Variant cover by Francis Manapul
Geoff Johns and Scott Kolins continue this must-have BLACKEST NIGHT tie-in!
The Flashes find themselves more tangled into Nekron's ultimate plan than they could ever have imagined. Meanwhile, it's a well-known fact that Captain Cold hates running. But when the Rogues of the past rise to claim those that still survive, he has no choice!

http://comics.ign.com/articles/103/1035721p1.html

- - - - - -

I have to say, I'm REALLY looking forward to this Blackest Night tie-in!

There's a Flash section here? Where is it? ;-)
Old October 18th, 2009   JME2 is offline   #2
JME2
Geoffan

Same here; Scott Kollins is to the Flash what Bruce Timm is to Batman for me, and after Rogues' Revenge, I'm really looking forward to this.

Old October 18th, 2009   Andrew72287 is offline   #3
Andrew72287
Neo Geoffan

Man, Kolins must have some amazing speed, the man just finished off the 7 issue Solomon Grundy series, with writing duties, handled art on the latest issue of Superman/Batman, then has a two issue run on Superman/Batman handling writing duties as well tied into Blackest Night, then goes right into Blackest Night: Flash, the first issue of which comes out the same month as his second issue of the Blackest Night Superman/Batman tie in.

Not that I'm complaining, more Scott Kolins is always a good thing.

Old October 18th, 2009   General grievous is offline   #4
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

At least we know that ice can hide emotions from the black lanterns.

I wonder does captain cold know this yet?

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old October 18th, 2009   Kiryu is offline   #5
Kiryu
persona non grata

At least we know that ice can hide emotions from the black lanterns.

I wonder does captain cold know this yet?
ddf
General grievous View Post
I don't think it's ice blocking the Black Lanterns Emotive-Vision, but cooling the body and brain to the point where no emotions were being had because Batman and Red Robin were practically frozen to death and thus needed Deadman to take control of their bodies to shatter the ice.

So Cold couldn't hide behind an Ice wall and be safe, but have to ice himself up to near the point of death and then somehow escape.

Old October 18th, 2009   SmilingKnight is offline   #6
SmilingKnight
Advanced Geoffan

Will Savitar and Lady Flash be black lanterns?

"Things won by force must always be maintained and defended by force" Commander Hawkins, Voltron
Old October 18th, 2009   Sentinel119 is offline   #7
Sentinel119
Supreme Geoffan

Is Cicada dead? I thought he was an immortal.

"Bible, Wrath of Kahn. What's the difference?"
Cyclops was Right
Old October 18th, 2009   SmilingKnight is offline   #8
SmilingKnight
Advanced Geoffan

ddf
Sentinel119 View Post
Last I saw he was locked away in Iron Hights

"Things won by force must always be maintained and defended by force" Commander Hawkins, Voltron
Old October 18th, 2009   Flash_Fact is offline   #9
Flash_Fact
Neo Geoffan

I don't think it's ice blocking the Black Lanterns Emotive-Vision, but cooling the body and brain to the point where no emotions were being had because Batman and Red Robin were practically frozen to death and thus needed Deadman to take control of their bodies to shatter the ice.

So Cold couldn't hide behind an Ice wall and be safe, but have to ice himself up to near the point of death and then somehow escape.
ddf
Kiryu View Post
Yeah, but what about all the non-iced resurrections we've seen thus far?? Most, if not a majority of the Black Lanterns have been reborn from completely dead corpses who are not exhibiting emotions. I find the ice excuse used in Blackest Night Batman to be a real weak one and it really ruined the mini-series for me personally.

Wally West~"I'm getting lectured on child safety from a man who's gone through four Robins?"
Old October 18th, 2009   Kelson is offline   #10
Kelson
Neo Geoffan

ddf
Sentinel119 View Post
If you're referring to the guy to the left & behind Captain Cold, I made the same mistake at first glance. Then I realized that's not a beard, it's a scarf, and he's holding boomerangs.

Sooner or later, you realize that Lucy is never going to let you kick the damn football.

Speed Force - Flash news and commentary
Old October 18th, 2009   Kiryu is offline   #11
Kiryu
persona non grata

Yeah, but what about all the non-iced resurrections we've seen thus far?? Most, if not a majority of the Black Lanterns have been reborn from completely dead corpses who are not exhibiting emotions. I find the ice excuse used in Blackest Night Batman to be a real weak one and it really ruined the mini-series for me personally.
ddf
Flash_Fact View Post
Yeah, but the Black Rings seem to be simply animated the dead and imbuing them with a twisted version of the original characters personality. And all the interviews and events within the story have not just implied but outright stated that the goal of the Black Lanterns is not to kill heroes and make more Black Lanterns, the dead rise to illicit an emotional response from the living and then drain that emotional spectrum energy and funnel it to the Black Central Battery to awaken the big bad.

So the ice freezes them to near-death/stasis/whatever you call it and they do not have an emotional reaction because they're a half-step away from clinical death, thus the Black Lanterns do not kill them because there is no gain, there is no emotion to drain. Notice how the Black Lantern charge never increases when a Black Lantern re-animated a corpse, only when the heart is drained of emotion that is built up over the course of the heroes struggle with the Zombie.

The Black Lanterns essentially an insect hive, with the Lanterns themselves going out and draining emotions at the behest of the big bad/queen zombie. They are not operating autonomously but seeking out those who their shell/corpse was close with to cause a build up of emotional energy, suck it up and send it to the nest.

I mean maybe you could say the Black Lanterns should have killed and re-animated them, but we've been given no indication that the Black Lanterns make their own decisions. They basically seem programmed to hunt out those who knew them in life for the sole purpose of sucking their hearts dry of emotion-juice. So for the Black Lanterns, the bees, Batman and Red Robin were flowers with no pollen to bring back to the nest, which is their prime directive, so they went looking for different flowers/hearts.

Old October 19th, 2009   Ian Larsen is offline   #12
Ian Larsen
Like Lightning.

Hven't even gotten to issue #1 and I can't wait for #2!!!!!!!!

Caution: Rambling in Progress.
Old October 19th, 2009   Bizarro #98 is offline   #13
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

I can't figure out what kind of gun Trickster is using. It looks like something that would shoot bubbles.

Black-and-White Raider's eyebeams are colorless now. What effect could they have?

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old October 19th, 2009   Roscoe Dillon is offline   #14
Roscoe Dillon
Needs moar Top

I can't figure out what kind of gun Trickster is using. It looks like something that would shoot bubbles.
ddf
Bizarro #98 View Post
Heh, you're right. Bubbles of doom, perhaps.

Black-and-White Raider's eyebeams are colorless now. What effect could they have?
ddf
Bizarro #98 View Post
I guess he could still blind people with his white light, and drain the energy from people with his black beam, just like always. And he might still have his laser, which was pretty powerful.

Honestly, I'd be wetting my pants at seeing horrifying skull-faced Raider.

Old October 19th, 2009   Sentinel119 is offline   #15
Sentinel119
Supreme Geoffan

If you're referring to the guy to the left & behind Captain Cold, I made the same mistake at first glance. Then I realized that's not a beard, it's a scarf, and he's holding boomerangs.
ddf
Kelson View Post
yeah you're right. well that's my bad. last time i look at this forum after knocking 3 back.

"Bible, Wrath of Kahn. What's the difference?"
Cyclops was Right
Old November 5th, 2009   James Hunter is offline   #16
James Hunter
Master Geoffan

I have to say i'm really excited for this, it was the Geoff/Scott team that first got me interested in the Flash universe and Captain Cold is one of, if not THE favourite of the rogues, to me.

Cheers.

James.

"Any dream worth having is a dream worth fighting for."