The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old December 21st, 2009   Kelson is offline   #1
Kelson
Neo Geoffan

Default Flash in 2010 is Barry Allen, Pure and Simple

In Newsarama's latest 20 Questions with Dan Didio video, he answered my question about the Kid Flash artist and the "top secret alterations" Geoff Johns mentioned about Flash in 2010.

He explained that DC will be focusing on a single Flash book starring Barry Allen. The Kid Flash series and the backup stories starring Wally West are "on hold." He went on to say that "Your Flash fix will be Barry Allen, pure and simple, for 2010."

Sooner or later, you realize that Lucy is never going to let you kick the damn football.

Speed Force - Flash news and commentary
Old December 21st, 2009   Sylar is offline   #2
Sylar

hmmm, this will not go over well with Wally and Bart fans...

Old December 21st, 2009   Ryan Higgins is offline   #3
Ryan Higgins
Geoffan

I think we're going to lose a lot of posters soon...

Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
408-245-6275
[email protected]
Old December 21st, 2009   HPT is offline   #4
HPT
Neo Geoffan

In Newsarama's latest 20 Questions with Dan Didio video, he answered my question about the Kid Flash artist and the "top secret alterations" Geoff Johns mentioned about Flash in 2010.

He explained that DC will be focusing on a single Flash book starring Barry Allen. The Kid Flash series and the backup stories starring Wally West are "on hold." He went on to say that "Your Flash fix will be Barry Allen, pure and simple, for 2010."
ddf
Kelson View Post
i'm one of those barry fans that could care less about wally or bart -- and even i think this is a bone-headed move. way to piss off the readers, didio.

i was really looking forward to seeing scott & geoff do wally again, and sterling is one of my fave writers right now. i woulda totally bought that kid-flash book too. i'm not devastated over this news, but i am really disappointed. this is how one does NOT treat a fanbase.

hope the bart and wally fans get an xmas miracle and dan changes his mind.

Old December 21st, 2009   Lex is offline   #5
Lex
Who?

What a stupid decision! I was afraid something like this would happen when "changes" to the Flash books had been hinted at. Even though I've been more of a Wally fan, I've been very willing to give this new direction with Barry a chance. And I was very excited about the Kid Flash book and Wally co-feature. I was excited that Geoff and Sterling would be building up the Flash franchise like Geoff and others have done with the GL books.

Losing the Kid Flash book and Wally co-feature really hurts my enthusiasm for the main Flash book. Sorry Geoff.

"Superman should be a huge, positive role model, an almost Christ-like force." - Grant Morrison
Old December 21st, 2009   GeraldKeefer is offline   #6
GeraldKeefer
Gabba Gabba Hey!

While I definitely feel for big Wally and Bart fans I'm glad that Barry is going to star in his own book. I wasn't looking forward to paying an extra dollar for a back up feature. Just not interested in Wally and kids even though it adds a different dynamic to him.

More bummed about the Kid Flash news. I was certainly looking forward to seeing him and Max together in the new book.

I'm sure they'll be some angry posters here but I think the book will do just fine despite some negativity.

Who knows? I bet there is something planned with Wally somewhere that is going to be big.

Old December 21st, 2009   BrandonFordDodds is offline   #7
BrandonFordDodds
Geoffan

This is good news!

Old December 21st, 2009   Sylar is offline   #8
Sylar

In fairness,
They said this was for 2010. Im sure that Wally and Bart will pop up in the new Flash book during the upcoming year.

Also we will have Bart in Teen Titans and Wally appearing in Titans as well.

Old December 21st, 2009   Chris Hansbrough is offline   #9
Chris Hansbrough
Scion of Mogo

well of course that's all we're going to get in 2010. because by the end I'm sure rebirth 6 will be out.....>ZING!

EIC - Nerdstock Comics
Webhost - Plastikitty

X-Box Live : Scion of Mogo
PSN : Scion_of_Mogo
Steam : Scion_of_Mogo
Old December 21st, 2009   Director of Everything is offline   #10
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

Pick a direction and commit to it!

Believe it or not, I LOVE COMICS!!! and it's only hard to tell because I know that they can be and SHOULD BE better.
Old December 21st, 2009   callla is offline   #11
callla
Neo Geoffan

Well, even though I like Barry and Manapul, this is kind of the final nail in the coffin for my interest in the new series. Maybe I'll buy the trades if I hear the story's really awesome, but I don't want to bother getting invested any further in the franchise right now. It's just too up in the air.

I was really looking forward to Kid Flash, too.

Old December 21st, 2009   Greg Owens is offline   #12
Greg Owens
Up Top Horseman

Not much of a surprise since they've brought Barry back and made him one of the main characters in DC's big event of 2009.

"Nick, and I've told you this for years now, Greg is absolutely right."

Evilscratch
Old December 21st, 2009   the bug is offline   #13
the bug

I was kind of expecting this, especially with the delays. Not that I minded em, but It would seem to give DC pause for thought on whether they'd still have the interest there for two main books off the bat. If I had to guess, I'd say that Dan actually does mean 'on hold' not cancelled, I'd bet good money on seeing Kid Flash towards the end of 2010 or start of 2011. And that's probably a smart decision, because I can already see the slew of Blackest Night Aftermath books, probably a new Atom series, maybe a Mera Mini, among others that'll be distracting fans already from the new Flash book.

All sugar, and no play, makes Bart a ...ooooh shiny!
Old December 21st, 2009   Paul_King is offline   #14
Paul_King
Make Mine Marvel Cosmic!

Well, I can save money with the Flash series I was going to buy.

Now I can add Invincible Iron Man with no regrets.

Saved me money on Flash: Rebirth #6 also.

And that ends my association with DC comics outside of Batgirl trades.

Ah well.....

-Paul

"You wrote 'The world doesn't need a Savior' but everyday I hear people crying for one." - Superman Returns
Old December 21st, 2009   darthlucifuge is offline   #15
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

This sucks for fans of Bart and Wally.
I don't buy Flash so it doesn't effect me but I feel for you guys.

This is like if after GL: Rebirth they decided not to have a GLC title.
Hopefully Dan realizes what a mistake this is.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old December 21st, 2009   Lee H is offline   #16
Lee H
Geoffan

I think this is a smart move, though a hugely disappointing one none the less.

Barry Allen's return began in DC Universe #0 way back when. Then continued into Final Crisis. Which was delayed. And he ended up not doing much. Then Kid Flash returned in a very late Final Crisis tie-in. Then Rebirth began months after Final Crisis had finished. Rebirth has become increasingly delayed to the point that the Blackest Night crossover that was supposed to follow it has taken lead.

DC half-assed a Flash relaunch yet again. Now all of that momentum has to be built up again.

In that respect, postponing (and I hope it's just postponing) the Kid Flash title and the Wally West second feature to concentrate on the core Flash series is wise.

However, if they'd done things properly to begin with there wouldn't have been a need to do this. And the fact that they were already announced, along with the writers and one artist, just means a sack full of disappointments all round for Flash fans this Christmas.

Also we will have Bart in Teen Titans and Wally appearing in Titans as well.
ddf
Sylar View Post
Don't those comics kind of suck though?