The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old February 7th, 2010   groundrunner15 is offline   #17
groundrunner15

Seriously lost track of time listening to this interview! Great stuff though. I'm really excited to see some of his designs for Wally in the hardcover. Ethan seems like a really cool dude.

Old February 8th, 2010   FastestPosterAlive is offline   #18
FastestPosterAlive

I like this interview but I think EVS needs to re-listen to it himself. He advocates having more scripting power in the artist vs writer struggles, but then he admits that he doesn't learn much about the characters in the DCU.

I'm fine with him not knowing everything about every character, but I don't think you can expect to have editorial/long-term plot power if you don't know much about these characters.

Can't wait to see the alternate Wally uniforms.

Old February 8th, 2010   Fastest is offline   #19
Fastest
Geoffan

Ethan stated that the formula for Zoom was Molybdenum (Mo) reacting with oxygen to form MoO2. When you combine that with the Z from the speed force formula 3X2(9YZ)4A, you get a combination of Mo O Z, backwards making Z O oM. Cool and a little creepy.

"Long-form writing only works if you follow through on it."-Kelson
Old February 8th, 2010   Ian Larsen is offline   #20
Ian Larsen
Like Lightning.

Ethan sees Wally West as the Sir Lancelot to Barry Allen's King Arthur, and designed his uniform accordingly. His mask goes all the way down to his nose because it looks more like a knight's visor that way. His metal symbol also evokes the image of a hood ornament, because Keystone is known for their automobile production.
ddf
Bizarro #98 View Post
I think the hood ornament thing was a bit of a joke. I think Ethan was passive aggressively venting about having his first two designs rejected and rolling over for a composite of others' ideas. Couldn't tell whether the Keystone Tough line was a joke or not, though I'm thinking not.

I can't wait to see what Ethan's original designs were like and I find a little comfort somehow in knowing that the creators were sort of satisfied/dissatisfied like me about it. also discomfort. lol.

Caution: Rambling in Progress.
Old February 8th, 2010   Ethan Van Sciver is offline   #21
Ethan Van Sciver

I think the hood ornament thing was a bit of a joke. I think Ethan was passive aggressively venting about having his first two designs rejected and rolling over for a composite of others' ideas. Couldn't tell whether the Keystone Tough line was a joke or not, though I'm thinking not.

I can't wait to see what Ethan's original designs were like and I find a little comfort somehow in knowing that the creators were sort of satisfied/dissatisfied like me about it. also discomfort. lol.
ddf
Ian Larsen View Post
It wasn't a joke...that was the exact phrase used. And not a bad idea, or train of thought, I think.

Old February 8th, 2010   Cousin Cory Springhorn is offline   #22
Cousin Cory Springhorn
Advanced Geoffan

How have this many people commented on the podcast without saying a word about Ethan's music (except a brief comment by the original poster?) Ethan, any chance of an Absolute Edition of Flash: Rebirth including a CD?

Old February 9th, 2010   Ian Larsen is offline   #23
Ian Larsen
Like Lightning.

It wasn't a joke...that was the exact phrase used. And not a bad idea, or train of thought, I think.
ddf
Ethan Van Sciver View Post
oh. lol. my b.

edit: I guess that comment came off pretty negative, but I didn't mean anything by it. I was just interpreting based off what I heard.

Overall, it was a great interview, as every word balloon interview I ever heard has been, especially with Ethan. Stimulating discussion.

on the music: I really enjoyed the lyrics. Sort of whimsical and playful but also thoughtful and contemplative.
Last edited by Ian Larsen; February 9th, 2010 at 12:27 AM.

Caution: Rambling in Progress.
Old February 9th, 2010   Bizarro #98 is offline   #24
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

ddf
Ethan Van Sciver View Post
I like it too. It also goes along with the Lancelot thing you were talking about earlier. Knight's wear metal armor, so it makes sense that part of Wally's uniform should look like metal if he's going to be the knight of the Flash family. It works on multiple levels.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old February 9th, 2010   Stephen Henel is offline   #25
Stephen Henel
Lord Magistrate of Mayhem

It's a good comparison. It would be cool if we saw some of these knight errant metaphors applied to Wally's function as well as his form.

As promised, tapping out.
Old February 9th, 2010   Kyer is offline   #26
Kyer
Sorry MkBear

Maybe some day the world will have pity on us (poor!) slow dial-up users and post a transcript of the interview and those music lyrics? *blink blink*

Now I don't know if I want to see those other costume designs or not. What if I like them a lot better? It's bad enough I'd also have loved to see Bart and Max working together again without more angst like missed opportunity costume designs.

Oh my gosh...King Arthur and Sir Lancelot. Now I'm going to be spending the next hour figuring out:

Arthur: Barry
Guinevere: Iris
Wally: Sir Lancelot
Merlin: Max? (With my DCAU roots, I'm tempted to say Bruce Wayne.)
Sir Gawain: Jay Garrick
Morgan la Fey: Professor Zoom (no, not in drag.)
Mordred: Inertia...the little twerp

Old February 9th, 2010   Stephen Henel is offline   #27
Stephen Henel
Lord Magistrate of Mayhem

Don't worry about the costume not being too drastically different, Ethan. The truth is, it doesn't make sense to design Wally West around Barry Allen. If he's sticking around, then he's sticking around for his fans, and most of his fans will want to always remember him as The Flash. Not as Kid Flash, and not as Other Flash. The most important thing is that they see his costume and instantly remember a better time for themselves as readers. They look at him now, and they are instantly taken back to those days, and that's the important thing.

As promised, tapping out.
Old February 9th, 2010   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #28
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Don't worry about the costume not being too drastically different, Ethan. The truth is, it doesn't make sense to design Wally West around Barry Allen. If he's sticking around, then he's sticking around for his fans, and most of his fans will want to always remember him as The Flash. Not as Kid Flash, and not as Other Flash. The most important thing is that they see his costume and instantly remember a better time for themselves as readers. They look at him now, and they are instantly taken back to those days, and that's the important thing.
ddf
Stephen Henel View Post
Quoted for truth.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old February 9th, 2010   Flash_Fact is offline   #29
Flash_Fact
Neo Geoffan

Oh my gosh...King Arthur and Sir Lancelot. Now I'm going to be spending the next hour figuring out:

Arthur: Barry
Guinevere: Iris
Wally: Sir Lancelot
Merlin: Max? (With my DCAU roots, I'm tempted to say Bruce Wayne.)
Sir Gawain: Jay Garrick
Morgan la Fey: Professor Zoom (no, not in drag.)
Mordred: Inertia...the little twerp
ddf
Kyer View Post
Dear god. Unless my Arthurian memory is sketchy, didn't Lancelot & Guinevere betray Arthur's trust with their illicit trist? The image is forever now burned into my mind of Wally's carnal relations with his elderly aunt....of course, I guess they're not biologically related right?

Wally West~"I'm getting lectured on child safety from a man who's gone through four Robins?"
Old February 9th, 2010   Kyer is offline   #30
Kyer
Sorry MkBear

Dear god. Unless my Arthurian memory is sketchy, didn't Lancelot & Guinevere betray Arthur's trust with their illicit trist? The image is forever now burned into my mind of Wally's carnal relations with his elderly aunt....of course, I guess they're not biologically related right?
ddf
Flash_Fact View Post
I did think of that part of it, but figured even Wally wouldn't dare as he'd have both Barry and Linda after his...hind quarters....and nickels...and dimes....

Old February 9th, 2010   TJLamb0518 is offline   #31
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

So, even in this they say Wally (Lancelot) will be playing second fiddle to Barry (Arthur) and everyone is okay with it because they used Arthurian imagery?

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old February 9th, 2010   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #32
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

So, even in this they say Wally (Lancelot) will be playing second fiddle to Barry (Arthur) and everyone is okay with it because they used Arthurian imagery?
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Not everyone is ok with it... Just nothing anyone can do about it at this point. This is DC's current Flash direction. I'm taking a page from your book as you did with Spider-man...I stopped buying the book and pretend the Flash universe ended at Flash #247.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.