The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old February 9th, 2010   TJLamb0518 is offline   #33
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Not everyone is ok with it... Just nothing anyone can do about it at this point. This is DC's current Flash direction. I'm taking a page from your book as you did with Spider-man...I stopped buying the book and pretend the Flash universe ended at Flash #247.
ddf
Bagged & Boarded View Post
At least I have Ultimate Spider-Man to keep me happy. You sadly, don't have that outlet.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old February 9th, 2010   Scott Mateo is offline   #34
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

I like this interview but I think EVS needs to re-listen to it himself. He advocates having more scripting power in the artist vs writer struggles, but then he admits that he doesn't learn much about the characters in the DCU.

I'm fine with him not knowing everything about every character, but I don't think you can expect to have editorial/long-term plot power if you don't know much about these characters.
ddf
FastestPosterAlive View Post
Yeah, I basically took from that is that he's an artist first, and a comic fan second. Which is fine if you buy comics for art and not the story.

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old February 9th, 2010   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #35
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

At least I have Ultimate Spider-Man to keep me happy. You sadly, don't have that outlet.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Yeah well...I have my back issues and JLU cartoons. Plus there are many great comics still being published. I spend the money on them. Just never thought I would drop the Flash.

I do hope someone posts the images from the Flash hardcover though. I wouldn't mind seeing what Ethan's other sketches were.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old February 9th, 2010   constant is offline   #36
constant
Neo Geoffan

So, even in this they say Wally (Lancelot) will be playing second fiddle to Barry (Arthur) and everyone is okay with it because they used Arthurian imagery?
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
And because Lancelot is awesome, maybe?

"justice is truth in action"
Old February 9th, 2010   Mackaybear is offline   #37
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
TJ, please quit tweaking the newer guys....

And turning this into a Barry vs Wally debate will get this thread closed faster than you can blink....

So please go back to talking about Ethan's very interesting podcast.....

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old February 9th, 2010   Flash_Fact is offline   #38
Flash_Fact
Neo Geoffan

Not everyone is ok with it... Just nothing anyone can do about it at this point. This is DC's current Flash direction. I'm taking a page from your book as you did with Spider-man...I stopped buying the book and pretend the Flash universe ended at Flash #247.
ddf
Exactly! I'm at least willing to give the new Flash series a shot because GJ has delivered before and I'm intrigued (or perhaps desperate) to see some form of character development for Barry. I did, however, drop Rebirth at #4 and will not be completing my Blackest Night Flash after #2 either.

Perhaps if they do launch that new animated series with Impulse/Kid Flash, that will sate my Flash hunger if the new series does not.

Wally West~"I'm getting lectured on child safety from a man who's gone through four Robins?"
Old February 9th, 2010   Eric Q is offline   #39
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

Yeah well...I have my back issues and JLU cartoons. Plus there are many great comics still being published. I spend the money on them. Just never thought I would drop the Flash.

I do hope someone posts the images from the Flash hardcover though. I wouldn't mind seeing what Ethan's other sketches were.
ddf
And I'm sure there's probably a back issue or two that features Wally that you don't have and might be interested in.

Just wait, in time things will shift and you'll probably see Wally again in a role you'll like.
Last edited by Eric Q; February 9th, 2010 at 01:14 PM.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old February 9th, 2010   TJLamb0518 is offline   #40
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

And I'm sure there's probably a back issue or two that features Wally that you don't have and might be interested in.

Just wait in time, things will shift and you probably see Wally again in a role you'll like.
ddf
Eric Q View Post
That's absolutely right. Everything is cyclical. And besides, they're only comic books. You're not giving up vital medication.

Old February 9th, 2010   Flash_Fact is offline   #41
Flash_Fact
Neo Geoffan

Yeah, I basically took from that is that he's an artist first, and a comic fan second. Which is fine if you buy comics for art and not the story.
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
This frightens me because long after the 90s push towards image & gimmicks over substance, we finally have a stable of writers who truly see comics as a viable art form, something that should receive critical attention beyond the comic fanbase circles. Now I'm not advocating we lock the artists in dark and dank cells with only an overhead light to draw by and forcefeed them scripts to complete with no input of their own, but perhaps some appreciation or understanding of the characters you are drawing, in some cases, you are inheriting as an artist would only improve the artist's style and reinforce the writer's stories.

Wally West~"I'm getting lectured on child safety from a man who's gone through four Robins?"
Old February 9th, 2010   Matches is offline   #42
Matches
stepping aside

I think I'm with EVS on the writer/ artist thing. It's supposed to be a collaboration, and that implies that the artist is a creator just like the writer. Otherwise you might as well just hire an illustrator and tell the story as prose. The 90's aren't an example of the artist having "too much power"; they're an example of pin-up pages being tossed together without regard to whether they told a coherent sequential story.

Most of the best comics are either the product of a sole writer/ artist, or of a team that truly collaborated. Every now and again a guy like Alan Moore comes along who can lay out every detail in a massive script, but he is the exception, not the rule.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old February 9th, 2010   Mackaybear is offline   #43
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

Now I'm not advocating we lock the artists in dark and dank cells with only an overhead light to draw by and forcefeed them scripts to complete with no input of their own, but perhaps some appreciation or understanding of the characters you are drawing, in some cases, you are inheriting as an artist would only improve the artist's style and reinforce the writer's stories.
ddf
Flash_Fact View Post
Why not ?

It worked in the Golden and Silver Ages.

And the books were on time.....and good....heh

Old February 9th, 2010   TJLamb0518 is offline   #44
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I say give Ethan a shot and let's see what he comes up with. He's earned his spurs at DC, so if he thinks he can do it, he probably can.

Old February 9th, 2010   Flash_Fact is offline   #45
Flash_Fact
Neo Geoffan

Why not ?

It worked in the Golden and Silver Ages.

And the books were on time.....and good....heh
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
Quite true! However, the problem with that strategy is then you have to deal with the artist's heirs and children clawing for their bit once the artist has passsed on.

Old February 9th, 2010   Matches is offline   #46
Matches
stepping aside

Quite true! However, the problem with that strategy is then you have to deal with the artist's heirs and children clawing for their bit once the artist has passsed on.
ddf
Flash_Fact View Post
Wait.. what? Most DC and Marvel comics today are created under work-for-hire arrangements. A lot of the Silver and Golden Age stuff wasn't. It's really a completely separate issue from the amount of collaboration between writers and artists. Maybe I'm missing the point of your post?

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old February 9th, 2010   Mackaybear is offline   #47
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

ddf
Flash_Fact View Post
But it's not your problem...the problem belongs to those who occupy the editorial and publishers chairs after you........

You don't see Schwartz or Weisinger or Mayer or Gaines named in those lawsuits do you?

Old February 9th, 2010   TJLamb0518 is offline   #48
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

ddf
Flash_Fact View Post
If they sign one artist to a lifetime contract at 400,000. a year and then clone that artist 50 times.....I think that's a savings right there and the family wouldn't have any legal claims to the clones estate (which,as we all know the clones would bequeath to a university. C'mon, we've all heard of Clone College).....