The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old February 9th, 2010   Mackaybear is offline   #49
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

Wait.. what? Most DC and Marvel comics today are created under work-for-hire arrangements. A lot of the Silver and Golden Age stuff wasn't. It's really a completely separate issue from the amount of collaboration between writers and artists. Maybe I'm missing the point of your post?
ddf
Matches View Post
It's almost always been work for hire...back then I'd think maybe creators did the work and were glad to get it. And never really thought much about rights.

And the DC VS Siegal and Shuster lawsuit probably disheartened a lot of creators back then....I mean the initial one back in the forties BTW

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old February 9th, 2010   Scott Mateo is offline   #50
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Now I'm not advocating we lock the artists in dark and dank cells with only an overhead light to draw by and forcefeed them scripts to complete with no input of their own, but perhaps some appreciation or understanding of the characters you are drawing, in some cases, you are inheriting as an artist would only improve the artist's style and reinforce the writer's stories.
ddf
Flash_Fact View Post
Yeah, I mean if you're not intimately familiar with the source material, then that leaves you open to make make tiny glitches which can grow into HUGE, glaring, continuity errors later.

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old February 9th, 2010   Scott Mateo is offline   #51
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

You don't see Schwartz or Weisinger or Mayer or Gaines named in those lawsuits do you?
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
No, in fact you see a lot of these suits pop up after they all died.

Old February 9th, 2010   Mackaybear is offline   #52
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

Yeah, I mean if you're not intimately familiar with the source material, then that leaves you open to make make tiny glitches which can grow into HUGE, glaring, continuity errors later.
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
Which is why you have editors to correct those things.....sigh....

Old February 9th, 2010   Matches is offline   #53
Matches
stepping aside

It's almost always been work for hire...back then I'd think maybe creators did the work and were glad to get it. And never really thought much about rights.
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
Not exactly. The publishers claim it was all work-for-hire, but in more than a few cases it wasn't. Superman, for example, most definitely was not a WFH creation - hence the present controversy.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old February 9th, 2010   Matches is offline   #54
Matches
stepping aside

ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
I've always been wary of this line of thinking, because it pretty much requires that only die-hard comic fans (who presumably keep up with all the continuity) write comics. Seems like a massive self-imposed limitation to the pool of talent.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old February 9th, 2010   Mackaybear is offline   #55
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

Not exactly. The publishers claim it was all work-for-hire, but in more than a few cases it wasn't. Superman, for example, most definitely was not a WFH creation - hence the present controversy.
ddf
Matches View Post
What someone once said, and I really wish i could remember the reference was that there were no formal work for hire written contracts.....

And we all know oral agreements aren't worth the paper they're written on...heh

Old February 9th, 2010   Mackaybear is offline   #56
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

I've always been wary of this line of thinking, because it pretty much requires that only die-hard comic fans (who presumably keep up with all the continuity) write comics. Seems like a massive self-imposed limitation to the pool of talent.
ddf
Matches View Post
But that beggars the question of why the most popular selling books are the ones with characters who have very long histories. Even if you look back on the seventies as a short time ago.....

People want to know something about the characters, their backgrounds, histories, and characteristics.....

Though it's an old fashioned idea of late......Continuity shouldn't be the be all end all, but ret cons and massive revamps don't always bring in fans or new readers...or at least i don't think so...

Old February 9th, 2010   Flash_Fact is offline   #57
Flash_Fact
Neo Geoffan

continuity is important, but it can become at times a major drag on storylines when authors are so self-absorbed with continuity that the stories suffer as a result.

even a cursory knowledge of a character's history should be enough for an artist to develop his or her own style and representation of said character. I would think that if the artist drastically altered the image or made even a slight alteration, that an editor or even the writer would catch it (moreso today than in the past).

Then again, you get inverted word balloons in the latest Batman & Robin issue.

Wally West~"I'm getting lectured on child safety from a man who's gone through four Robins?"
Old February 9th, 2010   Scott Mateo is offline   #58
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Which is why you have editors to correct those things.....sigh....
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
Then it goes back to the old argument, "Are Editors Taking Too Much Control Away From The Creators?". A lot of people think that editor-driven titles were a bad thing in the 90's, and I tend to somewhat agree as well. I think we really need more Archie Goodwins and Tom Breevorts out there.
ddf
Matches View Post
That's true, but look at Marvel - they have writers like Fred Van Lente, Brian Reed, Christos Gage, DnA, Ed Brubaker, Paul Cornell, Dan Slott, and a few other newer writers I'm sure I'm forgetting - they write great stories that do not feel "limited", and are die-hard comics fans so they actually know what they're writing about (or Tom Breevort and Bill Rosemann do a great editing job at filling in the blanks so it looks like they do).

I find that more appealing than Felicia Henderson's TEEN TITANS or that RED TORNADO mini that just came out, in which it's obvious that the readers are more familiar with the characters and scenarios than the actual writers are writing.

Old February 9th, 2010   Mackaybear is offline   #59
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

And G_D Forbid we go back to the days when an editor's note would get you up to speed on what was happening....heh...

Old February 9th, 2010   Scott Mateo is offline   #60
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

And G_D Forbid we go back to the days when an editor's note would get you up to speed on what was happening....heh...
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
If it wasn't for those footnotes, my collection would be half the size it is now.

I used to think it was a lot of fun to buy a bunch of books, old and new, copy down all the issues mentioned in the footnotes, and then hunt them down the next week, and do the same thing, week after week.

Old February 9th, 2010   Flash_Fact is offline   #61
Flash_Fact
Neo Geoffan

If it wasn't for those footnotes, my collection would be half the size it is now.

I used to think it was a lot of fun to buy a bunch of books, old and new, copy down all the issues mentioned in the footnotes, and then hunt them down the next week, and do the same thing, week after week.
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
Me too. I actually liked during Waid's second run on Flash the inclusion of that introductory page that gave just enough info on each character and provided a short recap on what had transpired in previous issues.

Wally West~"I'm getting lectured on child safety from a man who's gone through four Robins?"
Old February 9th, 2010   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #62
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

That's absolutely right. Everything is cyclical. And besides, they're only comic books. You're not giving up vital medication.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
I would never give up my meds...vital or otherwise.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old February 9th, 2010   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #63
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

And I'm sure there's probably a back issue or two that features Wally that you don't have and might be interested in.

Just wait, in time things will shift and you'll probably see Wally again in a role you'll like.
ddf
Eric Q View Post
Hm...I have every issue of his series...and have read all the JLI/JLA books with him and I think all the Titans and other apps. I WILL keep my eye out though for other backissues.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old February 9th, 2010   Lee H is offline   #64
Lee H
Geoffan

This frightens me because long after the 90s push towards image & gimmicks over substance, we finally have a stable of writers who truly see comics as a viable art form, something that should receive critical attention beyond the comic fanbase circles. Now I'm not advocating we lock the artists in dark and dank cells with only an overhead light to draw by and forcefeed them scripts to complete with no input of their own, but perhaps some appreciation or understanding of the characters you are drawing, in some cases, you are inheriting as an artist would only improve the artist's style and reinforce the writer's stories.
ddf
Flash_Fact View Post
This really devalues the role the artist plays, as though it's only the person tapping on a keyboard who gives a comic artistic worth and the artist is merely a tool to be used.

And this really can't be directed to Ethan, he clearly does have a good understanding of the Flash characters and has thought things through.