The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old February 9th, 2010   FastestPosterAlive is offline   #65
FastestPosterAlive

It's a tightrope - you want fresh ideas, even revolutionary ones but not destructive ones.

Old February 9th, 2010   Stephen Henel is offline   #66
Stephen Henel
Lord Magistrate of Mayhem

So, even in this they say Wally (Lancelot) will be playing second fiddle to Barry (Arthur) and everyone is okay with it because they used Arthurian imagery?
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Lancelot was the greatest knight. Second to none until Galahad. Arthur was the greatest king. Both the best they were at what they did. They just did different things.

Now if Lancelot was just an OK knight who had to borrow Arthur's armor and sword every time he went out questing, then I'd have a problem with it. It'd be much closer to the way things actually are with Wally, but I'd have a problem with it.

As promised, tapping out.
Old February 9th, 2010   Eric Q is offline   #67
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

Hm...I have every issue of his series...and have read all the JLI/JLA books with him and I think all the Titans and other apps. I WILL keep my eye out though for other backissues.
ddf
Bagged & Boarded View Post
How about DCAU? He appears in Adventures of the DC Universe, Batman: Gotham Knights, Justice League Adventures, Justice League Unlimited.

Then I think there's Superfriends and Tiny Titans?

There's a fun issue when he gets hit by rays turn him into a genius but also enlarge his cranium and won't stop until it explodes, so he has to save himself before it happens.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old February 9th, 2010   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #68
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

How about DCAU? He appears in Adventures of the DC Universe, Batman: Gotham Knights, Justice League Adventures, Justice League Unlimited.

Then I think there's Superfriends and Tiny Titans?

There's a fun issue when he gets hit by rays turn him into a genius but also enlarge his cranium and won't stop until it explodes, so he has to save himself before it happens.
ddf
Eric Q View Post
No I don't read those...I buy Tiny Titans for my son though but I haven't read them because he likes me to make up stories to the pictures. lol. I will keep an eye on those though. Thanks!

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old February 9th, 2010   Matches is offline   #69
Matches
stepping aside

That's true, but look at Marvel - they have writers like Fred Van Lente, Brian Reed, Christos Gage, DnA, Ed Brubaker, Paul Cornell, Dan Slott, and a few other newer writers I'm sure I'm forgetting - they write great stories that do not feel "limited", and are die-hard comics fans so they actually know what they're writing about (or Tom Breevort and Bill Rosemann do a great editing job at filling in the blanks so it looks like they do).

I find that more appealing than Felicia Henderson's TEEN TITANS or that RED TORNADO mini that just came out, in which it's obvious that the readers are more familiar with the characters and scenarios than the actual writers are writing.
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
Are those Marvel guys' books better because they're die-hard fans, though, or because they're just more talented writers than their DC counterparts? For every FVL who's a die-hard fan I'll give you a Brian Wood or a Brian Azzarello who doesn't have the same attachment to continuity.

IOW I don't dispute that there are a group of people who are great writers AND are die-hard fans. I just think that it's a subset of the larger group of people who are great writers, and I see no reason to limit the industry to that subset.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old February 9th, 2010   KevinTBrown is offline   #70
KevinTBrown
My give a damn's busted

Why not ?

It worked in the Golden and Silver Ages.

And the books were on time.....and good....heh
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
On time????

Now there's a concept I can get fully behind!

I truly miss those days.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

KTB is right...
ddf
Mackaybear
Old February 9th, 2010   Mackaybear is offline   #71
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

Once in a while we got filler...a deadline would be missed, but Schwartz kept one or two completed stories for each book...art and writing and they'd be apologetically dropped in place....but the books shipped on time.

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old February 9th, 2010   JRM is offline   #72
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

So, even in this they say Wally (Lancelot) will be playing second fiddle to Barry (Arthur) and everyone is okay with it because they used Arthurian imagery?
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Okay, I'm a bit of Arturian Geek, but if you think of the myth as a cycle, in the first arc it is all about Arthur gaining power. Then there is the middle arc where Camlot is at its hight and Arthur is basicly off screen and then the final arc with aa the Betrayals that eventually lead to his downfall. Hummm...I don't think that this maybe the best take on the comparison ... opps

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old February 9th, 2010   JRM is offline   #73
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

I think I'm with EVS on the writer/ artist thing. It's supposed to be a collaboration, and that implies that the artist is a creator just like the writer. Otherwise you might as well just hire an illustrator and tell the story as prose. The 90's aren't an example of the artist having "too much power"; they're an example of pin-up pages being tossed together without regard to whether they told a coherent sequential story.

Most of the best comics are either the product of a sole writer/ artist, or of a team that truly collaborated. Every now and again a guy like Alan Moore comes along who can lay out every detail in a massive script, but he is the exception, not the rule.
ddf
Matches View Post
So agree with this thinking of all most all of my favorites over time. They were solo efforts of clearly near equal collaborations.

Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old February 9th, 2010   JRM is offline   #74
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Yeah, I mean if you're not intimately familiar with the source material, then that leaves you open to make make tiny glitches which can grow into HUGE, glaring, continuity errors later.
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
I don't know - we have wkipidea for that now

Jim

The LSH ... RIP
Old February 9th, 2010   JRM is offline   #75
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Lancelot was the greatest knight. Second to none until Galahad. Arthur was the greatest king. Both the best they were at what they did. They just did different things.
ddf
Stephen Henel View Post
Humm does this make Bart = Galahad?

Hummm

Jim

The LSH ... RIP
Old February 9th, 2010   Lee H is offline   #76
Lee H
Geoffan

Flash #151 was an inventory filler issue and that was only ten years ago. It's a good practice.

Old February 9th, 2010   JRM is offline   #77
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Flash #151 was an inventory filler issue and that was only ten years ago. It's a good practice.
ddf
Lee H View Post
But for this to work - the medium needs to stop being in non-stop flux. I think in most books fill in's will be totally dated within one or two arcs.

Jim

The LSH ... RIP
Old February 9th, 2010   Flash_Fact is offline   #78
Flash_Fact
Neo Geoffan

Can we please move way the heck away from the Wally as Lancelot characterization and all the aunt shagging imagery it creates! Of course, I do see potential for a series of stories growing out of this line of thought....all occuring on Earth XXX with Wally as the real speedster. =))

Wally West~"I'm getting lectured on child safety from a man who's gone through four Robins?"
Old February 9th, 2010   Lee H is offline   #79
Lee H
Geoffan

It's okay if they're not blood relatives, right? RIGHT??

Old February 9th, 2010   Matches is offline   #80
Matches
stepping aside

ddf
Lee H View Post
I remember that issue. I didn't enjoy it much despite generally liking the creators' other work. Offhand I can remember a few inventory issues I've liked over the years, but not many. Why do we want to plunk down hard-earned coin for filler material that was only shoved out so DC can claim it published an issue of Flash that month?

@allstarmatches on Twitter.