The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old September 24th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #353
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Finally caught UP (WELL EXCEPT FOR THIS WEEK'S STUFF)...

Flash #29,30: Okay story. Hoping Iris and NuWally don't stay out of the book too long...Barry not acting like himself would be far more meaningful if characters we were invested in were seeing it. I do like Bloodwork...Barry is long overdue for a good new Rogue (well one who doesn't die at the end of the story anyway).

Hal & the GLC #27,28: As a non-fan of the New Gods I'm really liking them in this arc. Maybe it's because they're being treated like actual Gods. (When they share a cheeseburger as members of the JLI, they become far less interesting). The fakeout on Orion's death was well scripted.

Batgirl & the BOP: Honestly...meh. I want to like this book, I really do. Part of the problem is DC can't seem to figure out what to do about "Oracle" after 6 years. I like Babs as Batgirl, since she's the iconic one. So put somebody meaningful in the seat, who has resonance with all media. It should either be Chloe Sullivan, Felicity Smoak, or Bette Kane. God knows they're never going to properly utilize Bette, but they could have their cake and eat it too with Bette as an ex-Batgirl Oracle.

Green Arrow #30: Was good to see Hal back with Ollie after a million years...we haven't really seen it since the dawn of nu52. This was probably the best installment so far of Hard Travelling Hero.

Cyborg #16: Singularity Aftermath has been a better story than Singularity. The Mother Box backstory was actually pretty good. This arc also showed that Gar Logan needs to be a supporting character in the book (the real one, not digi-Gar lol). Art and writing on this book both continue to rock.

Batman #30: Good, but did we really need an "interlude" on a very talky 6-issue arc? Still, never thought I'd be this invested in Kite Man.

Batgirl #14: Really liked the Robin/Batgirl flashbacks. Since nu52 started "5 years later", we never really got to see young Dick and Barbara. Well, not since the 1940's and 1967 anyway. And I wasn't reading then. so...

Nightwing #28: Good installment. Was sad for Shawn, but good twist. Still wishing I liked the art better. Too sketchy for my taste.

Green Lanterns #30: Another good chapter of Out of Time. Never thought I'd be rooting so hard for Simon. Those poor original Lanterns though. Talk about Lanterns-In-Fridges!

Wonder Woman #30: Overall, as a palette cleanser arc it was okay. Just didn't feel like it had the gravitas of Rucka's storytelling, but good to see lots of page time for Steve and Etta. Ready for Robinson to come on board and up the game.

Superman #30: The battle with Sinestro and Parallax played out as expected, although the visit to Qward was fun.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old September 30th, 2017   superfriend is offline   #354
superfriend
laughs at comics

Action Comics #987: The Oz reveal was good one. After this much build-up, it needed to be somebody major. Looking forward to finding out the backstory next issue. I will say that it NOT being Ozymandius (as many suspected) still leaves us at point zero for forwarding the Watchmen influence suggested since the beginning of Rebirth.
ddf
i was sooooo relieved it wasn't Ozymandias. and as much as i'm not into revisiting Watchmen, even the culprit behind SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Jor-El's

return being Dr. Manhattan, i can kinda squint and enjoy a new twist on Superman's relationship with his biological father.

Scott and Barda are now my favorite couple in comics. So many cool little touches in #2, from the repeated "I'm too tall" line to the simple scene of them sleeping back-to-back in bed. Of COURSE that's how they would sleep, given the circumstances in which they grew up. A small thing but extremely effective in humanizing them both.
ddf
Matches
there's a palpable tenderness about it. it reads like some next level stuff to me. wondering-about-the-next-issue liking it. which is kinda rare for me these days.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old October 2nd, 2017   Amentep is offline   #355
Amentep

i was sooooo relieved it wasn't Ozymandias. and as much as i'm not into revisiting Watchmen, even the culprit behind SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Jor-El's

return being Dr. Manhattan, i can kinda squint and enjoy a new twist on Superman's relationship with his biological father.
ddf
superfriend View Post
I'm still not convinced about the reveal being true - he looked a little more like SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Lor Van (? Lara's father)

to me from the flashback scene.

Old October 2nd, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #356
[email protected]

I'm still not convinced about the reveal being true - he looked a little more like SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Lor Van (? Lara's father)

to me from the flashback scene.
ddf
Amentep View Post
Interesting theory...
Clark's doubts about his identity led me to think we're supposed to be suspicious about his story. I couldn't figure out who it would be otherwise...but a different relative could be a good bet.

Old October 3rd, 2017   superfriend is offline   #357
superfriend
laughs at comics

Bleeding Cool has floated a number of theories, many of them including various Kryptonians from the past.

it's funny, i'm not even interested in the mystery (they rarely seem to pay off/make sense in comics anyway) so much as relieved this isn't another portal to some Watchmen incursion.

the things is, and i've not been reading the other appearances, Mr. Oz's motivations seem many and extra-curricular to just Superman lore. like, did he steal Tim Drake or something?

don't know but just looking forward to a goofy yarn on the way to Action #1000.

Old October 9th, 2017   starks is offline   #358
starks
Geoffan

Haven't been able to get to the LCS, and have a huge stack to still get to. But here's a bit:

Action Comics #987: Oz is revealed & his identity is pretty shocking.

Action Comics #988: This story is losing me.

Superman 3’s 31-32: Fill-in story, guest starring Deathstroke, prior to his transformation. Good stuff. This has me thinking that a Lois Lane title could work.

Detective Comics #964: Half the story was about Clayface & his struggle for a cure, while the other half had Anarky showing Steph his underground utopia with Batman revealing his ties to the Victim Syndicate. This was an interesting read.

Suicide Squad #25: The team battles a possessed Waller while dealing w/ Direktor Karla’s squads around the world. Except for the last page, the writing was rather poor.

Hal Jordan/GLC #28: Powerful storytelling, as Hal thinks about his father while trying to reach the New Gods’ High father & Light Ray.

JLA #14: Poorly written story, but I’ve been invested with the title this long, I might as well see what happens with Ray Palmer. Taking this title on an issue-by-issue basis, as I dropped this from my regular pull.

Dark Nights Metal #2: Epic storyline centered around Batman. Some parts are a bit odd (like the 5 metals infusion/absorption), but overall I’m in for the ride. Liked the Jim Lee cover to this.

Dark Nights – Batman the Red Death: Bad art. The story itself started off poorly, but got more interesting as things developed. Liked how the drift was made of bats, that was a good touch.

Dark Nights – Batman the Murder Machine: Love the cover. The reflective foil cover really makes it pop. The Bat Tank is reminiscent of the old Joker-Faced vehicles from yesteryear. Pretty good story.

Gotham Resistance Parts 1-3: These one-shots, Nightwing #29, Suicide Squad #26, & Teen Titans #12 were okay, with bad art. The whole “crow, crow, crow” went completely over my head in DNM #2until I read the NW issue. Crowbar – Jason Todd Robin. Got it. With the Batman Who Laughs running the show, I’ll have to see how things conclude in Green Arrow #32. DC needs to make action figures of these characters.

Batman #31: Thought the humor was good, and the use of Kite-man was inspired. Probably my favorite issue of this storyline.

Batman #32: Interesting end, but I didn’t like how it got there. The whole knife thing didn’t ring true to me. Glad this is over.

Nightwing #30: Raptor’s in town. Nightwing makes a deal with Roland. Not the best writing in the world, as Seeley has kind of lost it as of late.

New Super-Man #15: Not a title I get, but it guest starred some members of the Suicide Squad, so I picked it up. Decent issue, easy enough to see what was going on.

Batwoman #7: just an odd issue. With this title not even in the Top 100 in August, I don’t think this will be around much longer. They need to get a new writer on this if this is going to survive. Bennett is focusing too much on Batwoman’s relationships, which is really a shame, as Kate is so much more.

Red Hood/Outlaws Annual #1: The Outlaws are at the circus w/ Nightwing and KGBeast, err.. Beast, as the big bad in this story. Really good issue here. Good storytelling & some of Tyler Kirkham’s best work as of late.

Red Hood/Outlaws 314 : Really good issue. The story was fantastic, with a brainy Bizarro (no backwards ‘S’—good touch) & a not-so trusting Artemis. Loving this title.

Old October 14th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #359
[email protected]

Aquaman #28: An okay "middle arc" installment. Glad to see Garth getting utilized in these pages (finally), after an unmemorable first appearance right before Titans started.

Action Comics #988: Backstory on Jor-El was okay. Really need to see how they're going to utilize him before I weigh in whether the big shock was worth it.

Superman 3’s 31-32: Nice little two-parter. Nice to see Lois show some moxy and not just get locked into the role of Super-mom.

Detective Comics #965: Tim Drake meeting his future self was a fun bit. Lots of "possible futures" invading the DCU right now...curious if that's intentional or not, giving the upcoming debut of Doomsday Clock.

Deathstroke #24: Cute issue. Loved all the interplay between the characters. Tara's snark is actually pretty funny. Confused by Killer Frost's appearance at the end with the Society, since she's reformed and on the JLA now...hello DC editorial, is this thing on? tap, tap, tap...

Flash #31: Enjoyed Bloodwork as a new villain, and was also glad to see the return of Wally in these pages.

JLA #15: Great seeing Ray Palmer in costume and back in action, even if he's the "previous" Atom now. Can't say I was taken with the backstory, as it was too reliant on alien characters I had no investment in, like Preon.

Justice League #29,30: Liking this arc, and confess I did not see the identity of Sovereign coming (although in retrospect I should have!)

Dark Nights-Batman Dawnbreaker: All of the tie-ins add up to the same story...how Batman become a dark mirror version of another JLAer, but still enjoying them. This one was probably my favorite.

Dark Nights – Batman the Red Death: Also a fun one. How Bruce stole the speed force was a great bit.

Dark Nights – Batman the Murder Machine: Probably the most brutal, but also the best art. Bruce pulling out Vic's inside was a shocker.

Batman #31-32: Kite-Man's ploy in *31 was a great twist, and Bruce's secret, finally revealed to Selina, was actually a great character twist (reinforcing Bruce as "broken"). Was very happy with Selina's long awaited answer. Lots off story potential there.

Batwoman #7: Gosh I wish I was liking this title better. I just don't give a rat's arse about Safiyah and Coryana. The highlight of the issue was Beth's appearance, and was sad to see it was only a hallucination.

Batgirl #7: Still loving the Dick/Babs flashbacks. Lots of fun.

Super Sons #8: Still loving this title, although I'm not sure where the alternate Earth angle is going in this story.

Wonder Woman #31: Good start on Robinson's run. Hercules Unbound didn't last long (haha), but did add some "weight" to the story. The differences between Grail and Diana could also make her a great reoccurring villain. And so close to using a geek emoji for teenage Darkseid!

Old 4 Weeks Ago   Astro@work is offline   #360
[email protected]

More catching up (plus a couple faves I skipped ahead to...)

Green Lanterns #31,32: Nice finale to Out of Time. Overall a great arc although the original 7 Lanterns seemed more like red shirts on Star Trek. House Party was a nice palette cleanser, and I've never rooted so hard for two heroes to get their pancakes!

Hal & the GLC #29:Fall of the Gods Part??? Still a solid arc, and am enjoying Kyle's reintegration into the GLC.

Titans #16: Great installment, with the "clay" threat revealed. Who ever thought Mr.Twister would be a viable villain again ?!!! Still scratching my head over the Wally-is-dead storyline. Resisting the urge to panic, knowing how over-used the death fakeout is in comic storytelling. Feeling like there's got to be an "out" here.

Metal #3: Still enjoying the story, although I can't say it was my favorite issue. Lots happening as Barbatos has plunged the world into chaos.
Loved the dream sequence at the beginning with the Super-Sons band. Not a fan of the red-lettering-on-black word bubbles...had to go put the ish under a bright reading lamp to read them! (ok, well, I didn't have my glasses on so there's that...)

Nightwing #29: Gotham Resistance Pt 2. Literally no idea what was going on here (and I'm reading Metal...). Jon Snow Nightwing runs into battle against some stuff, in new Game of Thrones attire. That's all I got. A "previously" recap would have helped immensely. Also, I swear "Challengers mountain appearing in Gotham" has been referenced about 1000 times now...was it EVER depicted? Classic sin of telling instead of showing. Meh.

Nightwing #30: Enjoying the return of Raptor, as that story felt unresolved. The art also seemed improved here over previous issues.

Green Arrow #31: Hard Travelling Hero conclusion. Glad to see Ollie's ties to the JLA reestablished, hoping we'll see him in the pages of JL soon.

Green Arrow #32: Gotham Resistance Finale. Literally no idea what was going on here. Ollie and Jon Snow Nightwing run into battle against a bunch of stuff. A "previously" section would have provided some context. Also, without character i.d. boxes up front it took me half the issue to figure out whether "the woman" was Harley or a reinvented Duela Dent. Also couldn't figure out Damien screaming out "Damien" until I figured out there were two (too much washed out coloring to distinguish them). Meh.

Aquaman #29: I'm finding the Mera/Garth parts to be more interesting right now. Feels like Arthur hasn't been doing much but swimming around with Dolphin for several issues now. Story needs to get moving!

Wonder Woman #32: Hmmm. Diana found Jason awfully quickly and easily...feels like a little too easily. Good story so far.

Action #989: Oz Effect Part 3. Nice installment, reinforcing the heroic nature of Clark and the broken nature of Jor-El. Now that the obligatory explanations are out of the way, it's gaining more momentum.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   Call Me El is offline   #361
Call Me El
Geoffan

Superwoman #14: Well, I've come this far so I'm sticking this out to the end...but I feel like when Superwoman wraps up the consensus will be that they just never knew what to do with her. Wasn't a bad issue really, but it worked better as a Supergirl story than a Superwoman story.
ddf
Agreed. It was really more a sequel to Supergirl's Crucible arc than a Superwoman chapter.

I've also stuck it out but I'd really much rather see the title go to the Superwoman of the gender-reversed Earth-11.

As for Lana, she always was a bit redundant in the life of the adult Clark, especially after Lois learned his identity and they married. I think her best use of recent times was as Kara's "aunt" and protector just before the New 52 wiped it all away.

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon
Old 1 Week Ago   Astro@work is offline   #362
[email protected]

Superwoman #16: Finally! An ish of this title that felt like it meant something. The link to Lena Luthor was welcome, and I'm hoping that the return of a walking talking Lena may result. Felt like such a waste to introduce her in the first arc, only to immediately kill her. Plus, with Lena becoming such a presence on TV, why not have her as a viable character in the comics?

Batman Lost #1: Loved this one. It honestly felt like an installment of the main title. Future old man Logan, oops Bruce, was a lot of fun. Not to mention all those Morrison era tie-ins. Good stuff.

Batman The Merciless #1: really enjoying the Batman solo book tie-ins. (Even though I'm hating the crossovers equally as much). Had been curious how they would create a "Wonder Batman", but the Ares angle was brilliant. Love love loved it.

Titans #17: Well, still not a "likeable Donna" origin here, but at least a straightforward continuity-accurate Donna origin was told. (The created-as-weapon-of-destruction didn't fit Rebirth Diana continuity, but was simplified here to not require the previous nu52 depictions). The older Donna's tales of the Titans' fates was fun if not dire. Also suspecting real Wally isn't dead, so putting the protest gear back in the closet...you are safe from my ire DC corporate offices, haha.

Teen Titans #13: Return of Kid Flash. Liking the return of nuWally here, as well as the intro of Emiko. It's nice to see these characters getting fully introduced in the parent titles before showing of here. Nice continuity building DC. Seeing Damien's previous decisions coming back to bite him is also some excellent storytelling.

Detective #967,968: Tim being back in the book has really given this title it's heart back! The birth of Brother Eye was a great angle, as well as seeing old Tim vs. young Tim. The Batwoman prophecy also feels like it will play out soon, which could be fun. And OMG OMG OMG did they finally show Bette Kane, the most ignored Batfamily member once removed???? Hoping she'll get more appearances! (In the future TT appearances (pre-52) she was the 2nd Batwoman...is it possible SHE is the Batwoman old Tim was talking about. IIRC, old Tim kept saying Batwoman, everyone else kept saying "oh you mean Kate Kane"... Hmmm.

Cyborg #18: Nice conclusion to Singularity Aftermath, although it almost seemed more like an Epitath to the entire series.

Green Arrow #34: Best part of this was Moira's backstory with the Ninth Circle. This title continues to fire on all cylinders.

Superman #34: Imperius Lex Part 2. Enjoying this arc much more than I thought I would. Seeing badass Lois standing toe-to-toe with the Furies was an unexpected treat!

JLA #17: The passing of the mantle to Ryan was fun. Preon seems more like a device to keep Ray off the grid (no investment in their reunion), but also wasn't really expecting Ray to return as the primary Atom either (so no harm done). The emergence of the "blue hand" was also probably the first solid clue toward Dr. Manhatten in terms of what the characters know in-story. Up until now he's only been an "unknown blue energy presence".

Wonder Woman #33: The Grail and Baby Darkseid backstory was lots of fun, although Diana got ignored here.

Action Comics#990: Good installment of the Oz Effect. Jor-El is clearly representing a Watchmen grim reality here, put up against Kal-El (and DC's) brighter outlook. Feels like this will lead directly into The Doomsday Clock.

Deathstroke#25:Slade vs. the SSV was a great way of exploring the current shades of grey with his current mentor role. Glad too that Killer Frost's role in the story was rectified against her JLA membership. Defiance didn't play much of a role here, but then again it's Deathstroke's 25th anniversary issue, so understandable.
Last edited by [email protected]; 1 Week Ago at 04:18 PM.

Old 6 Days Ago   Matches is offline   #363
Matches
stepping aside

Batman Lost #1: Loved this one. It honestly felt like an installment of the main title. Future old man Logan, oops Bruce, was a lot of fun. Not to mention all those Morrison era tie-ins. Good stuff.
ddf
Yea I liked this one a lot too even though it didn't advance the Metal story at all. I'm a sucker for the purple gloves, loved seeing them show up.

Teen Titans #13: Return of Kid Flash. Liking the return of nuWally here, as well as the intro of Emiko. It's nice to see these characters getting fully introduced in the parent titles before showing of here. Nice continuity building DC. Seeing Damien's previous decisions coming back to bite him is also some excellent storytelling.
ddf
This is perhaps damning with faint praise, but this is the best TT run since Johns'. My only quibble is that Wally looks about five years older here than he does in the Flash title.

Detective #967,968: Tim being back in the book has really given this title it's heart back! The birth of Brother Eye was a great angle, as well as seeing old Tim vs. young Tim. The Batwoman prophecy also feels like it will play out soon, which could be fun. And OMG OMG OMG did they finally show Bette Kane, the most ignored Batfamily member once removed???? Hoping she'll get more appearances! (In the future TT appearances (pre-52) she was the 2nd Batwoman...is it possible SHE is the Batwoman old Tim was talking about. IIRC, old Tim kept saying Batwoman, everyone else kept saying "oh you mean Kate Kane"... Hmmm.
ddf
This arc didn't work for me at all. Lots of speechifying about some terrible future but it's only described in the most vague terms. The mystery of why Oz grabbed Tim wasn't resolved in any kind of remotely satisfying way, and apparently the thread about the mystery cellmates he saw during his escape attempt was just abandoned.

Interesting idea about Bette though. You'd think that's something future Tim would've mentioned but maybe not.

Not sure if the Wildstorm books are technically on point in this thread but I'm enjoying them both. The Michael Cray book has had him targeting the WS-Earth's Oliver Queen, who is a sociopath who hunts people with his bow and arrow. So far it's a more interesting way to incorporate the DC and WS characters than just dropping the WS characters on "our" Earth.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old 5 Days Ago   superfriend is offline   #364
superfriend
laughs at comics

The mystery of why Oz grabbed Tim wasn't resolved in any kind of remotely satisfying way, and apparently the thread about the mystery cellmates he saw during his escape attempt was just abandoned.
ddf
Matches View Post
this question is open to anyone who would care to answer...

what was the mystery? and why did Jor-El/Oz take Tim?

thus far Jor-El's Return/Dr. Manhattan's Experiment has amounted to trying to appeal to Kal-El that humanity isn't worth a damn. wondering what that has to do with taking Tim Drake, s'all.

any help is appreciated.

Old 5 Days Ago   Matches is offline   #365
Matches
stepping aside

The only explanation given was that he was impressed with Tim and wanted to spare him from whatever horribleness Dr Manhattan is about to unleash.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old 3 Days Ago   Astro@work is offline   #366
[email protected]

At the time Tim was taken, Oz made some comment about Tim "connecting too many threads" or some such. (Pretty vague). When he returned there was a lot of talk about something occuring soon with Batwoman, which could have more to do with it.

Long story short, Oz's reasoning with Tim is still pretty unclear.

Old 15 Hours Ago   Astro@work is offline   #367
[email protected]

Batgirl & the BOP #16: Manslaughter is off to a good start, although feels like familiar territory. Harley as the wild card is fun.

Batman #34,35: Selena vs. Talia is the battle I never knew I wanted to see. The interplay between these two building up to the looming marriage is great stuff. The one-offs with Dick and Damien are also brilliant. Really loving this.

Batman Who Laughs #1: I was probably looking forward the most to this one, and it did not disappoint. The fates of the Bat family and Super family were truly terrifying. Great stuff. Still hate those red-on-black word bubbles though...can't make out about 1/3rd of them and just have to insert <evil stuff said> where they go.

Aquaman #30: Really need a bit more forward momentum on this story. At least Mera finally got back in, Arthur has rallied the troops, and the Garth/Tula scene was very welcome. Still, get on with it already!

Flash #33/JL#32/Hal & The GLC#32/JL#33: Bats Out of Hell. Another interruptive crossover. Tried reading all parts in a row to see if I liked it any better. Okay, not awesome.

Green Lanterns #35: An entire arc about Bolphunga? Really DC? Hmmm...

Batwoman #9: Okay, but an entire ish of Kate's hallucination may have been a bit much. Hoping the namedropping of Alice gets followed up on.

Nightwing #32,33: Okay installments of an okay series. Just not overly interested in Bludhaven, although I like the cast-offs as supporting players, and enjoyed getting more backstory on the Flying Graysons.

Superman #35: Imperius Lex continues to be a great arc. Jon bonding with the War dogs was great fun, and really hoping we'll start to see a turncoat Lex sooner rather than later.

Super Sons #10: Still one of my favorite titles. It has all the optimism and fun I want from a DC title. They really need to do an animated version. The Fortress of Attitude is a fun new idea, and I hope the idea of Damien and Jon being school mates gets followed up on.

Wonder Woman #33: Well, I never bought the sister/brother reunion being that easy, so wasn't surprised with Jason's betrayal...but still a fun ride. looking forward to where this goes.

Action Comics#991: Oz Effect Conclusion. Overall...a bit overlong. Once Jor-El was introduced and explained, there wasn't much more to do with it. Really need to see what is done with him going forward.

Supergirl#15:Okay ish. Danvers family scenes always make me happy. The appearance of Strange Visitor at the end was very promising though.

JLA#18:First issue of the Prometheus arc was off to a good start. Nice "equal time" issue for the various members.

Old 14 Hours Ago   Call Me El is offline   #368
Call Me El
Geoffan

Superman 3’s 31-32: Fill-in story, guest starring Deathstroke, prior to his transformation. Good stuff. This has me thinking that a Lois Lane title could work.
ddf
starks View Post
Written by Brian Michael Bendis?

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon