The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old May 13th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #289
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Supergirl #8,9. : Loved #8; getting Kara back on solid ground with Kal is a huge step forward...they were never anything but antagonistic with each other for all of the nu52. Also really enjoyed Jon grilling Kara about Krypton. Number 9 was interesting for the introduction of Magog...but concerned this should have gotten more fanfare...type of intro that gets ignored when he shows up somewhere like the JLA. Also enjoying Batgirl's presence in the arc. A Babs/Kara camaraderie is long overdue.

Nightwing #18,19 : Liking this arc. An in-continuity Deathwing is fun, although faux doll Robin is getting brutalized pretty badly!

Batwoman #2 : Not feeling this title too much yet, had higher hopes. Taking Kate immediately out of Gotham on her first arc may have been a mistake, same as it was for the Batgirl relaunch. She needs a solid CONSISTENT supporting cast, which is when her first run worked the best. As soon as Bette, Col. Kane et al got ignored her previous run faltered.

Detective #954,955,956 : This is probably my least favorite arc in this run. Not horrible but I feel like Rhas and his leagues have been done to death lately in the DCU and DC television. The bigger problem for me is that the characters with heart in the series (Tim, Stephanie, Bluebird) have been systematically removed in favor of personality-lite characters. If Batwing is supposed to fill this role, then we need to see him out of the suit.

Titans #11 : Good first installment in the Lazarus Contract. Reestablishing Slade's connection to the early Titans was a smart move. The Titans early history is largely unknown, but putting some of the core elements back in (even if it wasn't the New TT) is a good idea. This includes the Hive as well.

JLA #5 : Very Lobo-centric issue. Fun, if not super-consequential yet.

Flash #21/Batman #22 : Button parts 2&3. So far this story seems to be more of an ode to Flashpoint than forward progress on the meta-DCU story, but I'm enjoying it. Seeing the Waynes meet has been a great touch.

Wonder Woman #21/22 Lots of forward momentum getting to Themiscyra in the Truth. Cale has become a more sympathetic character here and in the Godwatch installments. I like a villain with shades of
grey, and Rucka continues to knock this outta the park.

Teen Titans #7 : Liking Aqualad's introduction and this iteration of the character. Also enjoyed the short Black Manta cameo. Liking this book overall, although am still frustrated with Percy's clear inability to connect with Starfire and Raven. (He doesn't have this issue with Dinah or Emiko in Green Arrow, so I know he's capable of writing strong women). Thank God for these shorter arcs...normally it would have taken a year to get to this point.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old May 19th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #290

Hey Starks! Missing your reviews around here!...hoping you're coming back soon. :0)

Old May 22nd, 2017   DSumner is offline   #291
DSumner
Neo Geoffan

Teen Titans #7 : Liking Aqualad's introduction and this iteration of the character. Also enjoyed the short Black Manta cameo. Liking this book overall, although am still frustrated with Percy's clear inability to connect with Starfire and Raven. (He doesn't have this issue with Dinah or Emiko in Green Arrow, so I know he's capable of writing strong women). Thank God for these shorter arcs...normally it would have taken a year to get to this point.
ddf
[email protected] View Post
Yeah, the females in this book (Raven and Starfire) seem to be getting shorted. Also, I see they've made Raven a bit more like her TV Titans version with the addition of magic.

I also see they've modified Jinx, over in Titans, so that she's now probability controller, instead of a sorceress.

Old May 24th, 2017   Amentep is offline   #292
Amentep

I agree Detective hasn't lived up to its promise. I can only hope that the wider characters will get more screen time.

Liked the opening for Lazarus Contract.

Old May 25th, 2017   Matches is offline   #293
Matches
stepping aside

DC's handled the meta-Rebirth stuff in general pretty well but IMO the ending of The Button was mis-step. Really light on any answers, and it seemed to be more setup for whatever the next thing is. It sounds like the story may have been altered at the eleventh hour, so I wonder if the original version was a bit more reveal-heavy.

Re: the idea that different missing characters have different lightning rods, could it be that Oz is taking the lightning rods off the board, and that's why they're locked up. Wondering if Tim Drake is the lightning rod for Bart Allen or Conner Kent.

Oh, and Batman # 23 "The Brave & The Mold" was an instant classic. Wonderful issue.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old May 25th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #294

DC's handled the meta-Rebirth stuff in general pretty well but IMO the ending of The Button was mis-step. Really light on any answers, and it seemed to be more setup for whatever the next thing is. It sounds like the story may have been altered at the eleventh hour, so I wonder if the original version was a bit more reveal-heavy.

Re: the idea that different missing characters have different lightning rods, could it be that Oz is taking the lightning rods off the board, and that's why they're locked up. Wondering if Tim Drake is the lightning rod for Bart Allen or Conner Kent.

Oh, and Batman # 23 "The Brave & The Mold" was an instant classic. Wonderful issue.
ddf
Matches View Post
Agree. The Button was all tease, no forward momentum on answering anything. We got a glimpse of Jay Garrick, but then he went right back away.

Similarly, we got a glimpse of a blue Dr Manhatten hand, but nobody else saw it...so not really an a-ha moment. (Was there literally ANYbody out there in comic land who didn't see that coming?)

Based on the Jay intro, I didn't dislike it, but it also got us nowhere on the larger story. Delivering on at least one of the mysteries would have been more satisfying. From the Flash and Batman's POV, they don't know anything more now than they did before, do they?

Old May 26th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #295

Green Arrow 22/23 :Rise of Star City. Not exactly sure where this is going yet, but enjoying Roy's continued presence and interaction with Emiko. Also liking the goings on with the Ninth Circle and Queen Industries. Shows that Percy is playing a long game here with the story.

Aquaman #23. : Finally, the Dead Water snorefest is over. This issue took off flying with the Atlantis political unrest. Hoping Tula finally gets a good role in this arc.

Batwoman #3 : Still not thrilled with this first arc. Meh.

Super Sons#4 :Still LOVING this first arc. The interplay between Jon and Damien continues to be the highlight. The art really captures the youthful exuberance.

Superwoman #10 : Really no idea where this book is going. After one arc under their belt, they're already having to redefine Lana's reason for being due to Rebirth. Why is this an ongoing?

JLA #6. : Still very Lobo-centric, but enjoyed the attention on Ray this ish.

Flash#22 : Just not sure what to make of this Button story. Lots of teases but in the end nothing really happened. We saw Jay, but we still dont have him back. Honestly, I want the JSA and Legion back. Not just vaguely hinted at. Overall, didn't hate it.

Batgirl & the BOP#10 : I wish I was liking this book more. Love the Babs/Helena/Dinah trio. Not sold on dude Oracle. At all. If Oracle isnt Babs it really ought to be Felicity Smoak or Chloe Sullivan. The art isn't thrilling me either. Too many blank backgrounds and dull colors.

Teen Titans #8. : Great 2nd installment of the Lazarus contract. Wasn't expecting nuWally to be the wild card. Great crossover so far.

Old May 28th, 2017   married guy is offline   #296
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

ddf
Matches View Post
I didn't even think of that!
I like your thinking! So who is Jay's rod? Joan? Bart? Maybe Max Mercury?

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old May 30th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #297

ddf
married guy View Post
Joan would make the most sense to be Jay's lightning rod...but here's a wrinkle...she would most likely be dead at this point. (Johnny Thunder is pushing 100 right?) In fact, almost anybody from Jay's era would be dead, which leaves him "untethered", particularly if Barry didn't remember him.

If the other JSAers went somewhere else and can be pulled back, will they in turn be Jay's rod?

Old May 31st, 2017   Matches is offline   #298
Matches
stepping aside

ddf
married guy View Post
I was thinking Bart. Agreed with Astro that Joan makes the most sense but we've not seen her at all in the New 52 continuity, and really the only plausible way for her to be alive is if she is outside of time as well.

Johnny Thunder is a possibility as well I guess but I don't ever recall he and Jay having a particularly strong connection.

Old May 31st, 2017   Amentep is offline   #299
Amentep

Superwoman #10 : Really no idea where this book is going. After one arc under their belt, they're already having to redefine Lana's reason for being due to Rebirth. Why is this an ongoing?
ddf
I dunno, given that the meger of Superman did a number on the concept, I thought they've done a decent job of trying to figure out how to go forward. Maybe the intention wasn't to always go the way they did (or maybe it was and this was a stealth mini but sales have kept it going).

I'm somewhat curious to see where they're going with it so I'm sticking around.

Old June 19th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #300

Really behind on reviews, so just going to jump ahead to current reads

Supergirl #10 : The Phantom Zone issue was an odd read, mostly because of the oddity of the Phantom Zone itself. I've always enjoyed the PZ villains, just looking for Kara and Babs to get out of there sooner-rather-than-later and bring the battle to Earth..

Batman #25 (?) : The proposal issue... this made me totally geek out. I'm sincerely hoping these two really will get married. The Super-Family has been a rollicking success, and I'm ready for some forward momentum in Bruce's life as well. I can only assume the road to the alter will be rocky, but a volatile marriage like this would offer a wealth of story opportunity.

Detective #957 (?) : The Azrael-centric issue gave me more info about this character (who I've never warmed up to) than anything I've read in the past ten years. I always feel like I'm supposed to already know the background about this character EXCEPT I DON'T KNOW IT. Seeing him at the game with Batwing was a great touch, as I've never connected with him before.

Titans #12 : Nice breather issue and LOVED the attention on Lillith/Omen. Really really liked the fact that she got the upper hand on Psimon, while he thought he was leading her along. Honestly, the DCU isn't overflowing with telepaths like the Marvel U, and would like to see Lillith developed in that regard. (They've got Saturn Girl in the future and Martain Manhunter who isn't primarily just a telepath...and that's about it). The teaser about a betrayal is interesting, although I'm really hoping it's NOT Omen.

JLA #7 (?) : "Bazooka" from Monster Island was a fun little read, better than I was expecting. The difference between the newer characters more naieve approach to him vs. Batman's cynical assumptions was a fun contrast.

Wonder Woman #24 Really going to miss Rucka on this title. The Convergence of the two storylines was so well crafted, and Veronica Cale has really turned out to be a great nemesis. Regarding the overall storyline, the one thing I'm still baffled about: Where DID Diana go all the times she thought she was returning to Themiscyra? If it wasn't there, what was the explanation? Was Ares toying with here mind? While I understand much of the Azzarello run was rebooted by the Reborn storyline, a couple of things still bear questioning: Donna Troy came from one of these visits. Even if Reborn shunted that story backward in the timeline, Donna still came from one of these false visits (or so it would appear)...or we need to be told that Donna as a WMD occured BEFORE Diana left the island...which changes a lot of what we know. Some further explanation would help. But that aside, the last 24 issues have been a tremendous read.

Flash #24 : After a long time treading water, this book is finally starting to heat up again. Between Eobard kidnapping Iris and nuWally's mixed loyalties, the story is starting to gain some momentum.

Aquaman #24 : Another title that is picking up some steam again. Arthur getting dethroned is exactly what we needed to shake things up (after the interminable Dead Water story). Glad to see Tula in the mix and really wish Garth would get utilized as well (considering he's only had one very forgettable appearance so far). Now if they would just get on with the Arthuer/Mera marriage already. (If he calls her "My Queen" one more time I'm swimming to Atlantis myself to scream out-underwater- SHE'S NOT YOUR QUEEN UNTIL YOU MARRY HER YOU NITWIT!...I'll probably drown as a result, but the effort would be well worth it. Plus I'm a pretty good swimmer).
Last edited by [email protected]; June 19th, 2017 at 03:09 PM.

Old June 20th, 2017   Amentep is offline   #301
Amentep

Detective was a nice pickup for Azreal. I remember picking up the first issue of the mini back in the day and being confused, so this did make more sense.

Liked Supergirl, did they just introduce the Supergirl movie villain to the dcu?

Old June 21st, 2017   Matches is offline   #302
Matches
stepping aside

Batman #25 (?) : The proposal issue... this made me totally geek out. I'm sincerely hoping these two really will get married. The Super-Family has been a rollicking success, and I'm ready for some forward momentum in Bruce's life as well. I can only assume the road to the alter will be rocky, but a volatile marriage like this would offer a wealth of story opportunity.
ddf
#24. I'm really curious to see where this goes. Even assuming she says yes, them actually making it to the altar is not a foregone conclusion. My gut tells me that actually having them get married breaks Catwoman's character, if not both of them, and would end up being undone within five years. I trust King a lot, though - IMO "Rooftops" from # 14-15 of this run is the best Bat/Cat story I've ever read (and I've read a LOT of them), so he has lots of rope from me.

Detective #957 (?) : The Azrael-centric issue gave me more info about this character (who I've never warmed up to) than anything I've read in the past ten years. I always feel like I'm supposed to already know the background about this character EXCEPT I DON'T KNOW IT. Seeing him at the game with Batwing was a great touch, as I've never connected with him before.
ddf
DC's continuity is weird in general right now with the pre-52 and new-52 continuities seemingly merging. Azrael's history appears to be mostly the classic version, except with Mother's role added. (Mother was in Batman & Robin Eternal.) Presumably JPV did not take over for Bruce when he had his back broken and become AzBats, though. I dunno. {shrugs}. Weird. This was a strong issue though.

Wonder Woman #24 Really going to miss Rucka on this title. The Convergence of the two storylines was so well crafted, and Veronica Cale has really turned out to be a great nemesis. Regarding the overall storyline, the one thing I'm still baffled about: Where DID Diana go all the times she thought she was returning to Themiscyra? If it wasn't there, what was the explanation? Was Ares toying with here mind? While I understand much of the Azzarello run was rebooted by the Reborn storyline, a couple of things still bear questioning: Donna Troy came from one of these visits. Even if Reborn shunted that story backward in the timeline, Donna still came from one of these false visits (or so it would appear)...or we need to be told that Donna as a WMD occured BEFORE Diana left the island...which changes a lot of what we know. Some further explanation would help. But that aside, the last 24 issues have been a tremendous read.
ddf
Yup, another one where the continuity is weird. Even bits of this run (WW and Steve discussing her relationship with Superman) have already been retconned out. This particular story built to a nice conclusion though - the payoff with Cale was strong and elevated her beyond just being jealous of WW.

Flash #24 : After a long time treading water, this book is finally starting to heat up again. Between Eobard kidnapping Iris and nuWally's mixed loyalties, the story is starting to gain some momentum.
ddf
Clearly Thawne now remembers even the pre-COIE continuity. I do like the narrative thread here of Barry dragging his feet on telling Iris his secret and kind of coming off looking bad because of it. This was something the TV show tried to hand-wave away with some nonsense about "keeping Iris safe", but that's hogwash and Wally is right to call Barry out on it.

On another note, Dark Days: The Forge #1 was really good. This is a Batman-centric event but it's not just a Batman story. LOTS of other DC lore in play here, including some stuff that hasn't been seen since before the New 52 started. This issue was only a prelude and it's already had several cool twists. Really good example of how to use the continuity (weird though it may be) in service of a story rather than just navel-gazing.

Old June 21st, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #303

On another note, Dark Days: The Forge #1 was really good. This is a Batman-centric event but it's not just a Batman story. LOTS of other DC lore in play here, including some stuff that hasn't been seen since before the New 52 started. This issue was only a prelude and it's already had several cool twists. Really good example of how to use the continuity (weird though it may be) in service of a story rather than just navel-gazing.
ddf
Matches View Post
Speaking of Dark Days: The Forge #1, I enjoyed it a lot since it was in fact bigger than just a Batman story. Loved the reappearance of the original Outsiders. Their continuity got really strange pre-52 due to most of the characters getting usurped by bizarre plot twists. Hoping to see a Rebirth version where they aren't saddled with all the old weird baggage.

Was also glad to see the hinted return of Plastic Man. Honestly, he's basically been invisible since the nu52, outside of one appearance I recall where he was only Eeel O'Brian.

Lastly, very curious about the role of Hawkman, since he just died in the mini that nobody appeared to buy or care about. Was trying to figure out the context of his journal, and assumed it preceded his death, and that his death is still in continuity (?) I didn't really expect Carter to stay dead, but hoping he'll be reinvented with more purpose than tabula rasa nu52 Carter, AND that Shiera will return with him. Stupidest thing DC did was kill Sheira in her first and only nu52 appearance. Hawkgirl has had great media presence in both JL/JLU animated and on Legends...but grossly underutilized in the comics of late. (Yes, appeared in Earth 2 et al, but rarely got much focus and NEVER got an origin).

Secondly, Dark Knight 3#8, ...this comes out so sporadically I usually miss it by accident, and have to fight hard to remember the story. The art has been a highlight, but struggle with who this is supposed to be about. Carrie is front & center, but usually only hunting down Bruce. Bruce and Kal have been secondary players as well. Wonder Woman and Lara seem to get the most attention. It almost reads like a JLA story of Earth-Dark-Knight. Ah well, looking forward to the final issue in 1 or 2 years. :0)

Old June 23rd, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #304

Dark Knight III #9. , ...and so in a little bit of irony, the final issue was already in my stack (after griping I'd wait a year to see it).
It was a satisfying conclusion to the oddest of the 3 DK minis.

If anything, this book was more DCU focused than just the Bat Family. Lara's turn to the good, Bruce's rejuvenation, and Carrie's evolution were the highlights. The Kandor villains had been very secondary in the story lately, so wasn't too invested in their takedown...but Lara doing it was a nice character beat. Also, a nice contrast in Bruce getting younger at the same time Clark passed the torch and moved on.

Lastly, I'm assuming the disembodied hand guy was Hal, in one of Frank Miller's most grotesque reimaginings! Horrifying and great at the same time.