The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old November 13th, 2006   DeTroyes is offline   #65
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

Location: Miskatonic University, Dept. of Ancient Manuscripts

EDIT: WHOA CRAP I didn't even read that right. My bad, my bad.

But yeah, if I thought it happened years in the future (a quick revision of the BBaG TPB introduction cleared that up for me), then obviously something in the current continuity is missing.
ddf
TalonTheater View Post
Somewhere between the mini and the start of Johns' run there seems to have been a SBP punch that de-aged Gar a couple of years (he was supposed to be 21 in the mini, but started out in TT as being 19). But yeah, the mini series and all the Titans LA stuff is still supposed to be in continuity. In the DCU, it probably happened a year before the start of Johns run, which means its now about 2 years in the past, give or take a little.

Please?

I don't normally get Justice...
ddf
Lady Timedramon View Post
If you need it, there's some stuff from Justice #7 here. WARNING: Blog has a degree of shippyness to it.
Last edited by DeTroyes; November 13th, 2006 at 10:57 PM.

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Looking for meaning, searching for answers, finding nothing but loose change and pocket lint.
Old November 14th, 2006   Pliskin MacReady is offline   #66
Pliskin MacReady
Geoffan

Yeah. Matt Logan! Bring back Matt Logan!!! I miss that guy.
ddf
Saturn Girl View Post
You are speaking my language.

We miss you, beer man.

And I don't think I can add anything specific to the BBBB campaign, other than its the Titans LA experience all over again. Will I have to wait a few years to see Gar again? I hope not. hopefully when he does come back they'll give him his fashion sense again.

Help save Matt Logan from limbo!

Join the Bring Back Beast Boy Brigade - Because Gar Logan deserves better than comic limbo!

Raven & Gar Fan.
Old November 14th, 2006   Bhill68 is offline   #67
Bhill68
Neo Geoffan

Geoff seems to really like the Beast Boy character a lot, that's what puzzeles me about the him being thrown into limbo. Geoff has a lot of power at DC and I just wonder why he would allow one of his favirote characters to get thrown into obscurity like that when Gar had a lot of storyline in Titans with his relationship with Raven and him supposed to be taking on more of a leadership role in the Titans. It just seems weird to me to do that when they weren't planning a Doom Patrol book or even a mini. It just seems like a waste of a good character, especially when I doubt that there was a really big cry for a Doom Patrol book.

Old November 14th, 2006   DeTroyes is offline   #68
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

Geoff seems to really like the Beast Boy character a lot, that's what puzzeles me about the him being thrown into limbo. Geoff has a lot of power at DC and I just wonder why he would allow one of his favirote characters to get thrown into obscurity like that when Gar had a lot of storyline in Titans with his relationship with Raven and him supposed to be taking on more of a leadership role in the Titans. It just seems weird to me to do that when they weren't planning a Doom Patrol book or even a mini. It just seems like a waste of a good character, especially when I doubt that there was a really big cry for a Doom Patrol book.
ddf
Bhill68 View Post
Yes, Johns does seem to have a soft spot for Gar. That may in the long run be the only thing that actually saves Beast Boy from going into really long term storage. But Johns is also very much a team player; he may have influence, but if asked to do something he will try to accomodate as much as possible. Things like saving Nightwing from being killed off are very probably more the exception than the rule. Nearest as I've been able to piece together (and please, if someone knows any better, by all means feel free to correct me), it appears that putting Gar on the Doom Patrol was not entirely Johns' decision. It sounds very much like this was an editorially mandated change, in the same vein that making Bart into the Flash and turning Batgirl into a villain were, and done in the hope that having a popular character like Beast Boy (and toon-favorite Bumblebee) around would help create enough demand to reverse DP's very abysmal recent track record. In other words, DC doesn't appear to be confident that there's enough interest to maintain a Doom Patrol title, so they're trying to hedge their bets by attempting to tap into 'toon Titans popularity.

And in truth, I think their reluctance is not without reason. Aside from the die-hard Gar fans who just want him to appear somewhere, and a certain number of DP fans who just want a new title, I really don't see that much of a groundswell of support for a new Doom Patrol series. I actually think people are much more jazzed for a Titans East series than they are for the Doom Patrol. And it hasn't helped matters that what little we've seen of this new team have painted them in less than flattering light. So right now, Gar is just stuck - he can't go back because the slots in Titans have now been filled and plotlines have already been decided upon, probably clear into 2008. But he can't go foward with the DP, because DC is not yet confident that there's enough demand to make it worth their while. Thus, the current impass.

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Looking for meaning, searching for answers, finding nothing but loose change and pocket lint.
Old November 14th, 2006   DeTroyes is offline   #69
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

Here's a question, guys.

Assume Geoff Johns won't be the next person to be writing Gar on a regular basis (at this point, probably a better than even bet). Who would you like to see try their hand at him?

I say lets try to get Ben Raab back. He had a good take (along with Johns) on Beast Boy in the mini, and if the Doom Patrol are part of the equation, well, he already has a good track record with the bizarre and macabre (The Phantom, Living in Infamy) that will do him very well on working with the DP.

As a back-up, Keith Giffen might also work. He at least has recently said he'd be interested in working on Doom Patrol.

Any other suggestions?

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Old November 14th, 2006   Lady Timedramon is offline   #70
Lady Timedramon
Gar Logan's #1 Fangirl

John Arcudi. I loved his work on his version of DP, plus IMHO he did a great job of writing Gar. If I didn't have a foot tall pile of papers sitting on the scanner right now (and grades to type into the computer), I'd scan some of it.

Just so long as they get a really good artist, like Justiniano, to draw the book.

Old November 14th, 2006   Bhill68 is offline   #71
Bhill68
Neo Geoffan

Well since Gar is one of my favirote comic book characters, I would like probaly the best comic book writer out there right now Brian Michael Bendis. For those of you that don't know he is the guy who does Ultimate Spider-Man and the New Avengers. I am more of a Marvel fan personally, there are really only two DC titles that I like: Batman and Teen Titans. I really love Gar and Raven, after Batman those are my two favirote DC characters, one of the reasons why I support the relationship so much. Yeah if you have the chance pick up those two titles when you can they are really great. Though I doubt that would happen. If Geoff is not the next guy to write Gar, if it's possible I would like Marv, he did a really good job when he had control. In fact he was one of the first, if not the first, to take Gar seriously as a character and not just some goof ball kid.

Old November 14th, 2006   DeTroyes is offline   #72
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

John Arcudi. I loved his work on his version of DP, plus IMHO he did a great job of writing Gar. If I didn't have a foot tall pile of papers sitting on the scanner right now (and grades to type into the computer), I'd scan some of it.
ddf
Lady Timedramon View Post
Yep, I forgot about him. Arcudi would do a good job, too.

And a half way decent artist is a must. No Liefeld or Tan Eng Huat.

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Old November 14th, 2006   Lady Timedramon is offline   #73
Lady Timedramon
Gar Logan's #1 Fangirl

Yep, I forgot about him. Arcudi would do a good job, too.
ddf
DeTroyes View Post
Arcudi is the person who got me back into comics after about a 10 year absence.

And a half way decent artist is a must. No Liefeld or Tan Eng Huat.
ddf
That's why I keep saying Justiniano... every time I look at the Beast Boy mini I squee with delight at the art *_*

Too bad Mike McKone isn't with DC anymore ;_;

Of course, there _are_ a few manga artists known for their hotties that I wouldn't mind as well

Old November 14th, 2006   Saturn Girl is offline   #74
Saturn Girl
Thought Criminal

Newsarama posted Michael Ryan's character sketches for his upcoming stint on Runaways, and they were gorgeous. He'd be great for any title with young characters. His Molly actually looked her age.

I am the one who knocks.
Old November 14th, 2006   TalonTheater is offline   #75
TalonTheater
persona non grata

Assume Geoff Johns won't be the next person to be writing Gar on a regular basis (at this point, probably a better than even bet). Who would you like to see try their hand at him?
ddf
DeTroyes View Post
I'd say Marv Wolfman, but I'd rather have him doing a continuous Raven series for all eternity.

Ben Raab is most certainly a good choice. Phil Jiminez would do well with him too.

Old November 14th, 2006   Saturn Girl is offline   #76
Saturn Girl
Thought Criminal

I think Geoff has a good take on Gar, so I hope whatever writers do take him on in the future take note of what he's done.

As for who I'd like to see take on a Beast Boy related project - Brian K. Vaughan is my total hero. I've loved everything he's ever penned, and his work on Runaways tells me that he'd do a great job with a young character like Gar.

That said, he does seem to be stronger with characters he's created himself than already established characters. Still, I'd love to see him try if he ever had the inclination. Not only is he great at characterization, but he can be scathingly funny, and you have to bring the goods in that dept. if you want to do a good Beast Boy.

Marv Wolfman did more to establish the character than anyone (17 years!), so I wouldn't mind seeing him take the character again but I would actually prefer to see newer writers try their hand.

And I know this will draw boos from the Winick haters out there, but I think he'd probably do a great Beast Boy. He knows how to bring the funny. His Sivana completely slays me!

I am the one who knocks.
Old November 14th, 2006   Lady Timedramon is offline   #77
Lady Timedramon
Gar Logan's #1 Fangirl

And I know this will draw boos from the Winick haters out there, but I think he'd probably do a great Beast Boy. He knows how to bring the funny. His Sivana completely slays me!
ddf
Saturn Girl View Post
I'm not a Winick hater... I've just been unimpressed by what I've seen him do. Same for another writer, but since she posts around here, I won't say the name.

The problem with putting Marv on a comic with Gar would be that you don't want him to get a reputation for "fixing problems with ex-Titans".

J. Torres doesn't do a bad job of toon Gar. I've also read some manga and manhwa (Korean graphic novels) where he's written the translated versions, and they're very good. He might be able to get a good handle (and if Todd Nauck draws Gar as well... *_* )

EDIT: You know... I wonder how Grant Morrison would do with writing Gar....
Last edited by Lady Timedramon; November 14th, 2006 at 08:26 PM.

Old November 14th, 2006   Pliskin MacReady is offline   #78
Pliskin MacReady
Geoffan

Do you dare speak of who I think you speak of when you speak of she?

... or something. Man, that English was useless. Grammar is more fun when you're not being conventional!

I'm not much of a Winnick fan, either. Yeah, he can be funny, but, well, Outsiders has made me wary of what he can do in terms of story.

Raab would be one of my top choices. It would be another way of getting Matt back into the mix as well.

Marv... I love him, but I must agree, it would be nice to get someone else on Gar now just for the sake of variety in authorship.

Arcudi... I'm not TOO familiar with his work, but I'd give him a shot.

But honestly, the best written Gar I have seen has been from Wolfman, Johns, and Raab. Grayson was kind to Gar's character in the Technis Imperative, but I don't think she could do the Doom Patrol.

And secretly, i would like Darin Morgan to write. Anyone who saw "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" or "Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense" may understand. >>

Help save Matt Logan from limbo!

Join the Bring Back Beast Boy Brigade - Because Gar Logan deserves better than comic limbo!

Raven & Gar Fan.
Old November 14th, 2006   Saturn Girl is offline   #79
Saturn Girl
Thought Criminal

X-Files geekgasm! I love Darin Morgan!

And if we're going for TV writers, I wouldn't mind seeing either Joss Whedon or Allan Heinberg write Gar. Both funny, both known for great teen characters.

I am the one who knocks.
Old November 14th, 2006   Lady Timedramon is offline   #80
Lady Timedramon
Gar Logan's #1 Fangirl

Do you dare speak of who I think you speak of when you speak of she?
ddf
Pliskin MacReady View Post
Probably... I was totally underwhelmed by her writing in Titans and her handling of Gar in another guest shot.

... or something. Man, that English was useless. Grammar is more fun when you're not being conventional!

I'm not much of a Winnick fan, either. Yeah, he can be funny, but, well, Outsiders has made me wary of what he can do in terms of story.
ddf
I don't have a lot of experience with him. What I've seen of his writing doesn't interest me. He would have to be writing characters I want to see for me to get to buy the book.

Raab would be one of my top choices. It would be another way of getting Matt back into the mix as well.

Marv... I love him, but I must agree, it would be nice to get someone else on Gar now just for the sake of variety in authorship.

Arcudi... I'm not TOO familiar with his work, but I'd give him a shot.

But honestly, the best written Gar I have seen has been from Wolfman, Johns, and Raab. Grayson was kind to Gar's character in the Technis Imperative, but I don't think she could do the Doom Patrol.
ddf
I'm not only talking in terms of Doom Patrol. I mean, it could be a solo book, a mini series, a team-up with Vic, or a new team entirely.

Besides, I doubt they'd give Arcudi another DP book after the first one.

And secretly, i would like Darin Morgan to write. Anyone who saw "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" or "Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense" may understand. >>
ddf
Never saw any of that.

You know, based on what I've seen of Gar with both Titans and Doom Patrol, I almost wonder if Gar might not be better off with an entirely new team.

Listen to my reasoning.

With both the Titans and the Doom Patrol (well, except with Arcudi's team), Gar was the "child" of the group. In fact, most people still seem to think of him that way. The vibe I get from OYL is that, while Gar tried to keep the Titans going, it was a hard job - probably because a large percentage of those people knew Gar as the kid/comedian. When that person grows up, it's still hard to look at them as a figure of authority. Other than maybe Flamebird, I don't see any of the "older" Titans following Gar without giving him a lot of problems.

I see him working better with a group of people who don't have a deeper knowledge of his "past". People who don't know him as the "kid" or the "comedian". He's shown he can get out of that "niche". Now he needs the chance to blossom.

I don't see that happening with the Titans. I also don't see that happening around the Doom Patrol (unless it's a "field team" of new, younger heros where he's like the "subcommander" )