The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old December 4th, 2006   Astro@work is offline   #17
Astro@work
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Hmmmnnn... I thought Ross was gay?

And Todd's handling by Marc has been some of the best I've seen.
ddf
imarriedsatanII View Post
Same here on both counts.

That comment from Ross was really unneccesary. Nobody else BUT Marc has taken a stab at Todd/Obsidian in quite a while, and IMO Marc has been handling Obie quite well.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old December 4th, 2006   fallentaco is offline   #18
fallentaco
The Lone Gunman

the link works, but if you try it from wizard it wont...huh....

It was Stamford all over again only this time Nitro was the edge of Cap’s shield.-Joe Q
Old December 4th, 2006   Jim Beard is offline   #19
Jim Beard
Batman '66 Lives!

Alex really likes my girl!!!:

"Well, that’s sad because the bucket is really cool. [Laughs] As a kid, I always remember seeing that crazy-looking character and thinking, “Who the heck is this? This is awesome!” There’s something very cool and primal about a character who has this overwrought costume that’s handmade and so pure in its essence. I loved it, absolutely loved it. We need a character that looks like that in the Justice Society now. [Laughs] I’ll talk to Geoff about the remodeling of costumes."

Hot ****! That's EXACTLY how I've seen her!

This just made it a good day!

Jim

Old December 4th, 2006   DavePT is offline   #20
DavePT
Geoffan

I don't know maybe he was thinking about Gerard Jones' JLA run with him and Al?

Old December 4th, 2006   Ramon is offline   #21
Ramon
Geoffan

I also think the comment was out of line and uncalled for.
What else could he be talking about if not Marc's take on Obsidian? For the last 8 years or so, Todd has been in JSA, first as a villain, then reformed and powerless, so the only other writer who has used him besides Marc Andreyko is Geoff.
And the new direction of the JSA is legacies and family, so why would Geoff not use Todd (Green Lantern's son)?...however Alex say's that Geoff is only using him so that someone else does not molest him anymore or that someone else does not use him in any “fun, creative” ways.
That is a clear cheap shot at Marc's treatment of Obsidian...which I think is superb and the best the character has seen in years!!!
I too am loosing respect for Alex's opinions...a lot. He is a fine artist, but please keep your mouth shut.

Quit killing Titans !!!
Old December 4th, 2006   Jim Beard is offline   #22
Jim Beard
Batman '66 Lives!

Guys, as rude as that may have come off, its still "just" his opinion...and not really a surprising one consdiering past interviews with him.

Jim

Old December 4th, 2006   Erik Sternberger is offline   #23
Erik Sternberger
Apathetic Revolutionary

Guys, as rude as that may have come off, its still "just" his opinion...and not really a surprising one consdiering past interviews with him.

Jim
ddf
Jim Beard View Post
Yes, it involved a character and "change"

I like this corn bread so much, I want to take it behind a middle school and get it pregnant.
Old December 4th, 2006   glguardian is offline   #24
glguardian
What The?! Horseman

haha Erik... and while I agree that is it just his opinion, he is also co-plotter of the series, so I can still have some fear.

R.I.P. Mike Nebeker - Actor, Horseman, 'Bloc Friend - 1968-2009
Old December 4th, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #25
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Yes, it involved a character and "change"
ddf
Erik Sternberger View Post
Which, to Mr. ross, are akin to visiting the Dracula household bringing a garlic casserole with a nice bottle of Holy Water to wash it down.

Sorry, guys and gals, but this isn't new. Mr. Ross has often been less than tactful when discussing other creators who did NOT build shrines to the Superfrinds in their bathrooms.

Mark my words, in 20 years people will be talking about Alex Ross and his opinions the same way they talk about John Byrne now.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old December 4th, 2006   KevinTBrown is offline   #26
KevinTBrown
My give a damn's busted

Alex Ross is no more or less passionate about his favorite heroes than we are..... However, being in the position he's in, he's able to be more vocal about it and have it read by many people.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

KTB is right...
ddf
Mackaybear
Old December 4th, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #27
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Alex Ross is no more or less passionate about his favorite heroes than we are..... However, being in the position he's in, he's able to be more vocal about it and have it read by many people.
ddf
KevinTBrown View Post
But see, he gets a paycheck for it. He's a professional. So, it really shouldn;t be so out of bounds to hope that he would, when talking to the media or making public appearances, act professionally instead of like some ill mannered fanboy.

Of course, he did shout We Won! so nicely....

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old December 4th, 2006   booyah is offline   #28
booyah
Effing Awesome Horseman

Location: Arkham Asylum, revolving door for the Criminally Insane

ddf
KevinTBrown View Post
That's the point really.
We are message board posters, most of which who say what we feel like with out reguard to other people and hide behind the cover of anonymity.
Alex Ross is one of THE premiere creators in the indusrty with a platform to say whatever he wants AND to be heard by millions, and here he is oplenly bashing other creators. No, he isn't the first to do it. No, he won't be the last. I just think that it's in poor taste is all.

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum.....and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Old December 4th, 2006   sylpemberton is offline   #29
sylpemberton
A Ginger Horseman

Location: Wish I could say New York but no I'm stuck twelve hours North East by car...

Urgh. That comment is gonna stick with me as I read this book.

I for one loved what Marc's been doing with Obsidian over in Manhunter and hope the happy Todd Rice continues...

Old December 4th, 2006   ConnorFan is offline   #30
ConnorFan
aka Alex Violette

Jim
ddf
Jim Beard View Post
Alex Ross's comments remind me a great deal of some of the poster troubles we have seen here of late. It's not that Ross has an opinion it is how that opinion is expressed. I can understand prefering Obsidian as the guy with no luck with women... or the guy who is ambigious. But Andreyko's story was not "molesting" the character. Heck Marc didnt even come out of left field with this one, it was suggested/hinted at previously.

I get Alex Ross dislikes the concept and he thinks geoff will do a better job on the character. But dont present it like another creator is violating a character. That it was some capricious change for the fun of it.

And also I've gotta say looking at the question posed... why the heck did he even go there?

Are you going to draw Obsidian in a full costume... "Maybe I don't know what Geoff's plans for the character are yet. I don't know when that would be the case."

He just added this in for the heck of it. It's one thing if the interviewer was asking his thoughts and opinions on Obsidian and why he was included but this was about drawing his costume or just his eyes.

Old December 4th, 2006   Director of Everything is offline   #31
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

Alex acting as a "co-plotter" for this book is one of the scariest things I've ever perceived. As insulting as his comment about Obsidian was,you could hear the elation he felt when A) talking about redesigning Damage to look like the Atom and B) anytime he gotto bring one of HIS original characters fromKC into the DCU.

On a positive front, at least he recognizes that Supes and Bats should be portrayed in their 30's. Now, if only he could draw them that way.

DoE

Believe it or not, I LOVE COMICS!!! and it's only hard to tell because I know that they can be and SHOULD BE better.
Old December 4th, 2006   KevinTBrown is offline   #32
KevinTBrown
My give a damn's busted

But see, he gets a paycheck for it. He's a professional. So, it really shouldn;t be so out of bounds to hope that he would, when talking to the media or making public appearances, act professionally instead of like some ill mannered fanboy.

Of course, he did shout We Won! so nicely....
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Point of correction: He's a freelancer. He's not a DC or Marvel employee. If he says something that ticks off one or the other, it's certainly their right to no longer hire him.

And yeah, the "We won" comment really irritated a few people.... others not so much.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

KTB is right...
ddf
Mackaybear