The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old December 5th, 2006   Etrigan001 is offline   #97
Etrigan001
Geoffan

Whatever, I'm still going to buy JS of A and I'm still going to admire Ross' artisitic talent. He's as entitled to his opinion as I am entitled to mine. Maybe he is more vocal about some things than he needs to be. Probably should think sometimes before he actually speaks. I don't know exactly what he meant and I really don't care.

I'm still looking forward to this book!

Believe in the ball and throw yourself!

MySpace
Comic Space
Old December 5th, 2006   CapeandCowl is offline   #98
CapeandCowl
Gad Fly

Alex Ross growing up would necessitate him accepting that Superfriends was cancelled over two decades ago and that characters can and have been changed by creators other than him. As his body of work and public statements demonstrate, that's never going to happen.
ddf
Impulse View Post
Truer words were never spoken!

Old December 6th, 2006   Gremlin is offline   #99
Gremlin
Mischievous sprite

But, but, but... isn't Ross gay?!?
ddf
imarriedsatanII View Post
I always thought so....hmmm the plot thickens...

Grem-

Old December 6th, 2006   Gremlin is offline   #100
Gremlin
Mischievous sprite

Arrow

First of all - I don't necessarily see this as a big homophobic comment - it could easily be, but it could just as easily be a comment about how Todd is being handled in general - seeing a happy side of him that we have never seen before - so it could be the case that this is what Alex is taking issue with - either way "molesting" seems an awful strong word either way. Just wanted to get that out of the way before I address one of Jim's comment.

Jim - why do you see Todd's homosexuality as change for changes sake? I ask because in my eyes it is a very fitting and very sensible character progression for Obsidian as he's been written all along, even by Mr. Thomas. Roy wrote Obsidian as a character who had a bit of an edge, a bit of unhappiness, and who had little success with the ladies. Even when we did see inside his head it was his thoughts about Raven, and his thoughts about the darkness inside of her more so then "she's got nice....". Roy also wrote him as strongly religious, which would possibly be the reason why Obsidian would not accept certain things about himself.

The reason I ask? Because in my early 20s I pulled a Todd Rice. I dated a few women. I tried to make a few things work. I was generally interested. But I either went after relationships I knew would never go anywhere, or relationships where things were safe - nice little catholic girl who firmly believed in no sex before marriage. And honestly I was pretty miserable, I was mopey, I was a bit on the angry side.
ddf
sylpemberton View Post
And, he continues, "I gained a bizarre shadow-power, went insane and tried to kill Alan Scott...."

Grem-sorry, couldn't help that one..

Old December 6th, 2006   Impulse is offline   #101
Impulse
Don't call me Kid Flash!

And, he continues, "I gained a bizarre shadow-power, went insane and tried to kill Alan Scott...."

Grem-sorry, couldn't help that one..
ddf
Gremlin View Post
Unfortunately, in our universe Alan Scott isn't the wielder of the Green Flame and embodiment of the Starheart but a 47 year old divorced car mechanic from Michigan. Syl has since had a restraining order placed on him for chasing the poor schlub down and wrapping him in black bedsheets and crying "Suffer the torment of the darkness!"

Old December 6th, 2006   Joshua Pantalleresco is offline   #102
Joshua Pantalleresco
Mr. Pants

Unfortunately, in our universe Alan Scott isn't the wielder of the Green Flame and embodiment of the Starheart but a 47 year old divorced car mechanic from Michigan. Syl has since had a restraining order placed on him for chasing the poor schlub down and wrapping him in black bedsheets and crying "Suffer the torment of the darkness!"

ddf
Impulse View Post
lmao

JP

Check out Veritas, my new comic Here and Here.

Spread the Word!
Old December 6th, 2006   sylpemberton is offline   #103
sylpemberton
A Ginger Horseman

Location: Wish I could say New York but no I'm stuck twelve hours North East by car...

ddf
Impulse View Post
LOL. Priceless. Thanks for the laugh guys.

Old December 6th, 2006   sylpemberton is offline   #104
sylpemberton
A Ginger Horseman

Location: Wish I could say New York but no I'm stuck twelve hours North East by car...

ddf
Impulse View Post
LOL. Priceless. Thanks for the laughs guys.

You wait till I find this universe's equivilent of Wildcat...in a towel...hopefully looking a lot like a Sadowski sketch lol...

Old December 6th, 2006   Mackaybear is offline   #105
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

LOL. Priceless. Thanks for the laughs guys.

You wait till I find this universe's equivilent of Wildcat...in a towel...hopefully looking a lot like a Sadowski sketch lol...
ddf
sylpemberton View Post
Heh..for obvious reasons that was one of my favorite JSA issues..A little something other than cheescake for the rest of us who like chests furry and not protuberant.

If you think Summer's bad, try going through it with a thick coat of White fur you can't take off.
Old December 6th, 2006   chuppmeister is offline   #106
chuppmeister
BASH's Enforcer

Wow. One little word can cause a lot of problems can't it. Even when both sides are using it correctly. I will admit that it never occurred to me that Ross was making a reference to what Marc had been writing, until I read this thread. I still think it was an "innocent" remark and we are all being a tad sensitive about it, but I can also see how it could be interpreted that way.

mo·lest (m-lst)
tr.v. mo·lest·ed, mo·lest·ing, mo·lests
1.To disturb, interfere with, or annoy.
2.To subject to unwanted or improper sexual activity.

BASH's Enforcement Division: I am happy now :)
Old December 6th, 2006   Jim Beard is offline   #107
Jim Beard
Batman '66 Lives!

I always thought so....hmmm the plot thickens...

Grem-
ddf
Gremlin View Post

I wonder what his wife thinks about this...

Jim

Old December 6th, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #108
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I wonder what his wife thinks about this...

Jim
ddf
Jim Beard View Post

I might explain to her why he keeps photoshopping an Adams Apple onto her in the wedding photos....

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old December 6th, 2006   Sk8maven is offline   #109
Sk8maven
persona non grata

Regarding Obsidian: maybe Roy Thomas didn't intend him to be gay, but he certainly wrote him as seriously maladjusted. That's how the poor schlub got twisted in so many different directions by later writers (yes, including Geoff).

I'm HOPING that Andreyko's take on him (that a lot of his problems were due to his repressing his true sexual orientation, and were resolved when he finally came to terms with and accepted it) sticks, and he stays sane, relatively well-adjusted, and as happy as he can manage to be - he'll probably always be a bit neurotic, but that's PERFECTLY NORMAL.

Maven

Old December 6th, 2006   Tenken is offline   #110
Tenken

Is Ross doing anything other than covers?

I can't recall for sure, but is he also co-plotting the book?

And would anyone have a link to corroborative information supporting Ross' role?

Old December 6th, 2006   PrincessCrujectra is offline   #111
PrincessCrujectra

I believe the article mentioned that he is currently contributing ideas to the book, but will officially be co-plotting the series before the first year is over.

Or I could be remembering wrong. I forget something new every day

Old December 6th, 2006   sylpemberton is offline   #112
sylpemberton
A Ginger Horseman

He's listed as contributing designs for the new book, and said he'll be taking on a larger role as the series goes on, becoming co-plotter with issue 8 or so. If I'm not mistaken it's in the same interview...