The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Closed Thread

Old December 4th, 2006   Joey Wilson is offline   #1
Joey Wilson
Geoffan

Default Geoff: Please Address Alex Ross's Comments Regarding Obsidian

Alex Ross's comments about Obsidian in his interview with Wizard Magazine smack of thinly veiled homophobia. Even worse, he claims to be speaking for you. This is completely unacceptable.

I've already filed a complaint with GLAAD (Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) about Ross's comments. I will continue to contact the gay press and I'm in the beginning stages of organizing a letter-writing campaign to DC about this issue.

You have the power to reign in Ross and reassure your readers. As a fan and as a gay person, I respectfully request that you address this issue as soon as possible.

Old December 4th, 2006   Jake1823 is offline   #2
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

Why should Geoff have to comment about this? Ross used his name unwillingly, and now Geoff has to make a statement? Geoff shouldn't have any obligations in this.

Where is everybody?
Old December 4th, 2006   Joey Wilson is offline   #3
Joey Wilson
Geoffan

If Geoff remains silent, he's implying that Ross is accurate in speaking for him and his feelings of Obsidian's recent handling as "molesting."

Old December 4th, 2006   Terry Sloane is offline   #4
Terry Sloane
Master Geoffan

Alex Ross's comments about Obsidian in his interview with Wizard Magazine smack of thinly veiled homophobia. Even worse, he claims to be speaking for you. This is completely unacceptable.

I've already filed a complaint with GLAAD (Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) about Ross's comments. I will continue to contact the gay press and I'm in the beginning stages of organizing a letter-writing campaign to DC about this issue.

You have the power to reign in Ross and reassure your readers. As a fan and as a gay person, I respectfully request that you address this issue as soon as possible.
ddf
Joey Wilson View Post
What did Ross say? I don't read Wizard.

Old December 4th, 2006   Bruiser is offline   #5
Bruiser
Browncoat

If Geoff remains silent, he's implying that Ross is accurate in speaking for him and his feelings of Obsidian's recent handling as "molesting."
ddf
Joey Wilson View Post
That's really not fair. If Ross had used the phrase "molesting" in reference to a hetero character would you still see it as homophobic? Just to clarify as well my problem with Ross's comments lie more in the fact that he's openly dissing Marc.

Old December 4th, 2006   glguardian is offline   #6
glguardian
What The?! Horseman

The last character Iím noticing on the cover of Justice Society of America #1 is Obsidian because you get a table of all these other characters you get to do in full, and all you get to draw for him is his floating eyes. Will you ever draw the full Obsidian?

ROSS: I have no idea. I donít know that that would be the case. Obsidian being put into the JSA is a lot likeóand Iím speaking for Geoff here, which he may not agree withóbut itís him grabbing a character thatís just going to get molested further in other writerís hands. So heís grabbing him and putting him in the group so he at least can be shepherding this character that belongs in this association. Maybe heíll make sure that no other writers get any ďfun, creativeĒ ideas with him.
ddf
Here is the quote.

R.I.P. Mike Nebeker - Actor, Horseman, 'Bloc Friend - 1968-2009
Old December 4th, 2006   Jake1823 is offline   #7
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

ddf
Joey Wilson View Post
No, YOU'RE implying that. Geoff saying nothing may just mean he doesn't want to get involved.

Where is everybody?
Old December 4th, 2006   Joey Wilson is offline   #8
Joey Wilson
Geoffan

ddf
Terry Sloane View Post
The last character Iím noticing on the cover of Justice Society of America #1 is Obsidian because you get a table of all these other characters you get to do in full, and all you get to draw for him is his floating eyes. Will you ever draw the full Obsidian?

ROSS: I have no idea. I donít know that that would be the case. Obsidian being put into the JSA is a lot likeóand Iím speaking for Geoff here, which he may not agree withóbut itís him grabbing a character thatís just going to get molested further in other writerís hands. So heís grabbing him and putting him in the group so he at least can be shepherding this character that belongs in this association. Maybe heíll make sure that no other writers get any ďfun, creativeĒ ideas with him.
ddf
http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazi.../002614557.cfm

Old December 4th, 2006   Impulse is offline   #9
Impulse
Don't call me Kid Flash!

ddf
Terry Sloane View Post
I have no idea. I donít know that that would be the case. Obsidian being put into the JSA is a lot likeóand Iím speaking for Geoff here, which he may not agree withóbut itís him grabbing a character thatís just going to get molested further in other writerís hands. So heís grabbing him and putting him in the group so he at least can be shepherding this character that belongs in this association. Maybe heíll make sure that no other writers get any ďfun, creativeĒ ideas with him.
ddf
Alex Ross
From his interview at Wizard Universe.

Old December 4th, 2006   LouieAussie1973 is offline   #10
LouieAussie1973
Advanced Geoffan

I can understand your feelings, considering the fact i am gay and a HUEG fan of Obsidian. I am not happy either but i think we maybe overreacting.

Let's just wait and see what Geoff has to say before we do something

It 's only comics folks!
Old December 4th, 2006   imarriedsatanII is offline   #11
imarriedsatanII
Horseman of the Calypso

How about a nice refreshing watermelon break?

"Something profound" - Me
Old December 4th, 2006   Ramon is offline   #12
Ramon
Geoffan

Why should Geoff have to comment about this? Ross used his name unwillingly, and now Geoff has to make a statement? Geoff shouldn't have any obligations in this.
ddf
Jake1823 View Post
I will be happy with Geoff stating that he is going to continue to develop the character of Obsidian in the path that Andreyko started. He does not need to mention Alex Ross at all.
Ignoring that Obsidian is gay and in a healthy relationship while every year or so the other members of the JSA get an exposure of their personal life will simply be wrong. I know with a team book, there is not enough room to develop every character family, but in the previous tittle, everynow and then we saw glimpses of Dr. Mid-nites, Courtney's or Jakeem's family. I ask nothing more for Todd.

Quit killing Titans !!!
Old December 4th, 2006   glguardian is offline   #13
glguardian
What The?! Horseman

I would like Geoff to comment on it, but I don't think he would need/have to. More to the point I think Alex Ross just needs to stop spouting off over things he has no control over.

R.I.P. Mike Nebeker - Actor, Horseman, 'Bloc Friend - 1968-2009
Old December 4th, 2006   ConnorFan is offline   #14
ConnorFan
aka Alex Violette

I'm kinda hoping that Ross will just say he is sorry about the comment, maybe offer to do some pieces for a gay rights charity. I dont think it needs to get too big. For all we know he could have been misquoted, or was mistakenly thinking of another character. It's unlikely but possible. I'd hate to see tension between the creative team if this was somehow a mistake.

Should it be looked into? Yes. But I'd hold off demanding that anyone take any action at this point.

Old December 4th, 2006   Impulse is offline   #15
Impulse
Don't call me Kid Flash!

No, YOU'RE implying that. Geoff saying nothing may just mean he doesn't want to get involved.
ddf
Jake1823 View Post
But by not addressing it, he's allowing that statement to stand.

Old December 4th, 2006   flamebird is offline   #16
flamebird*
Unabashedly Uninformed

How about a nice refreshing watermelon break?

ddf
imarriedsatanII View Post
Well, that's sort of Fabulous, isn't it?

We will get this book on schedule dammit.-geoff johns
"Christians consume baby seals."-Paul King
Closed Thread