The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old August 29th, 2008   Keith Dallas is offline   #1
Keith Dallas
At a Hockey Game

Default Flash Archives Vol. 5 (March 2009)

Look at what I found through an Amazon.com search: The Silver Age Flash Archives Vol. 5. It won't be available until March 2009 though.

Since each Flash Archive has reprinted eight Silver Age issues of The Flash, let's presume that Vol. 5 will collect Flash #133-140. That means the volume presents some classic Flash stories including:
  • the introduction of Professor Zoom (#139) and Heat Wave (#140);
  • stories with Abra Kadabra (#133), Captain Cold (#134), Mirror Master (#136) and Pied Piper (#138);
  • another Jay Garrick/Barry Allen team-up, this one involving the entire Justice Society of America against Vandal Savage (in fact, this is the first JSA appearance of the Silver Age);
  • and the tale of Kid Flash finally losing the "Mini-Me" costume for the yellow one he joined the Teen Titans with (#135)

Can't wait to get my hands on this!

Old August 29th, 2008   Kelson is offline   #2
Kelson
Neo Geoffan

I'm torn between two reactions:

1. All right!!!!!
2. But...what about the Golden Age Flash Archives?

I mean, at the rate we're going, the Showcase collections will probably catch up with and pass this book before we get another GA collection, and the GA books are considerably harder to find than the SA stuff.

Sooner or later, you realize that Lucy is never going to let you kick the damn football.

Speed Force - Flash news and commentary
Old August 29th, 2008   Kelson is offline   #3
Kelson
Neo Geoffan

Correction: Going through #140 would exactly match the first two Showcase volumes.

Sooner or later, you realize that Lucy is never going to let you kick the damn football.

Old August 30th, 2008   momoney433 is offline   #4
momoney433*
Reading Impulse. Duh.

Im sticking with Showcase! Im not exactly entitled to spend 30+ $$ for this but I might someday when I hit it big!!

-Mo
'I am normal it's the rest of the world that's weird.'
Bart Allen

http://twitter.com/LLottT
momoney433.tumblr.com
Old August 30th, 2008   elias6 is offline   #5
elias6

my earliest barry issue is #135. going further back has proven cost prohibitive, so this news makes me want to grab the earlier volumes, something i've avoided doing. i have the showcases, but flash is just so much more striking in color.

i've found that low grade copies (w/ complete stories/covers) from that era run $8-10 each usually, so this is a pretty good deal. a few bucks off, good quality and a hardcover.

love holding those originals, though.

Old August 31st, 2008   Lee H is offline   #6
Lee H
Geoffan

I'm holding off on the Archives, I already have the Showcase volumes. I would like to have them in colour though, given how colourful Flash and his villains are compared to other super-hero titles. Green Lantern Chronicles has already appeared on Amazon.com, and since he only had one title unlike Superman and Batman this essentially makes them softcover Archives, so I hope Flash will get the same treatment.

Things don't seem so bright for Golden Age Flash reprints though, given that DC are cutting down on the Archive line and the cost involved in restoring material of that vintage.

Old October 20th, 2008   Kelson is offline   #7
Kelson
Neo Geoffan

Advance solicitations are out today, with contents. It's confirmed to be #133-141. That one extra issue features the first appearance of Paul Gambi!