The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Television, Movies and Animation

Television, Movies and Animation aka The Talkies!

Old September 24th, 2008   RJ Squires is offline   #1
RJ Squires
persona non grata

Thumbs up The Lone Ranger Movie Thread

Disney productions announced that they will be doing a Lone Ranger Origin movie.

Click HERE to see who is going to be up for the part of Texas Ranger John Reid.

It has potential.

Old September 24th, 2008   Infernorhythm is offline   #2
Infernorhythm
Aspiring Writer

Ok, awesome!

My only hope though is that Disney does not "Disney" the Lone Ranger up. I think the approach they took with the first Pirates of the Carribean (not the sequels) is the best.

Superman Returns was a great film. DO NOT REBOOT!
Old September 24th, 2008   SethKane is offline   #3
SethKane
Geoffan

Hmm, not sure he's tough enough. I really want to see an adaptation of the current Lone Ranger comic for the movie.

Old September 25th, 2008   RJ Squires is offline   #4
RJ Squires
persona non grata

Default Update:

Johnny Depp will play TONTO, not The Lone Ranger as previously linked in the Coming Soon article.

Old September 25th, 2008   Steve Danger is offline   #5
Steve Danger
Advanced Geoffan

How do you make the Lone Ranger relevant in today's time? By not hiring Disney.

Old September 25th, 2008   Navydeepsea is offline   #6
Navydeepsea*
Carter Hall Wannabe

Nah. This could be good. Disney does a fine job with some films. And making the Lone Ranger "relevant" is a hell of alot less important then just telling a great story. And I can see Depp as Tonto.........

Read Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes. Then go Run ya lazy ass.
Old September 25th, 2008   Steve Danger is offline   #7
Steve Danger
Advanced Geoffan

I can't believe you just used "Disney" and "great story" in the same sentence.

And this is Disney at it's finest... instead of getting an ACTUAL Native American for Tonto they just grab a name they know will put seats in the seats.

Old September 25th, 2008   Eric is offline   #8
Eric
Adventurer/Man About Town

And this is Disney at it's finest... instead of getting an ACTUAL Native American for Tonto they just grab a name they know will put seats in the seats.
ddf
Steve Danger View Post
You'd prefer someone of, say, Cherokee ancestry?

waits for it...

waits...

waits...

Yes, I'm being cheeky.

Old September 25th, 2008   Steve Danger is offline   #9
Steve Danger
Advanced Geoffan

I get the joke... but in the end it's hard to explain...

Discovering that a) DISNEY is making the Lone Ranger movie... a movie that DESERVES some real intensity and tells the story of the Old West properly (anyone else remember Wild Wild West... yeah, this will be like that... with masks)... then discovering b) Johnny Depp is going to be Tonto.

First we have to put up with the stereotypical depictions of Natives that we have gotten for decades. How many Native character do we actually get? Super CHIEF (don't get me started on this one, starts out kick ass just to eat it the next time we see him) and Rainmaker! That's it! Nevermind that they were BOTH from "poor reserves", because we ALL come from them, don't you know?! Tonto we all agreed to ignore (yes, there was a meeting) because it was "the time", only to FINALLY start getting some respect (how badass was Lou Diamond Phillips in Young Guns, the movie sucked and he's not actually Native, OK an eighth, but that doesn't really count as you need to be at least 50% to qualify for the blood quantum, at least he part native, and we have Graham Greene who paid his dues to be considered a legitimate actor; EDIT: I forgot to add John Redcorn and Joseph Gribble of King of the Hill) only to be told that we're going to have to face ANOTHER generation of kids who will consider us the bad guys and that we all want to be cowboys! I swear to god that if they even THINK about putting in the "Kimosabe" line into the movie I'm going to start kicking all sorts of ass! In closing my rant and getting off my soapbox all I have left to say is: Screw you Disney and screw the horse you rode in on.

(this post was edited for language, never mind that when I lived overseas people actually thought I was Filipino. Then I'd have to explain that I was Native American Indian... but not from America or India... in the end the only way I could explain it was with the "Cowboys and Indian" allegory and sticking two fingers behind my head and going "wop! wop! wop!" with a hand cupped over my mouth... that is freaking embarrassing)
Last edited by Steve Danger; September 25th, 2008 at 03:47 AM.

Old September 25th, 2008   Navydeepsea is offline   #10
Navydeepsea*
Carter Hall Wannabe

ddf
Steve Danger View Post
Your abso-lutley right Danger. Disney has never made a good film AND it will suck, big time. Sheesh they should just run ALL movie property's by an expert like you baby!

Read Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes. Then go Run ya lazy ass.
Old September 25th, 2008   J-Liv is offline   #11
J-Liv
Frappuccino Jedi

I'm going to be optimistic. I mean, after all, it's pretty much impossible to screw up Lone Ranger. It would take a really pathetic production team to not slam dunk a Lone Ranger movie, right?

RIGHT!?

*curls up in fetal position and waits for the desecration of the only western character he ever gave a damn about to come to an end*

... I'll just be over here in the corner with these oddly comforting voices...

-J

Old September 25th, 2008   Amentep is offline   #12
Amentep

You'd prefer someone of, say, Cherokee ancestry?
ddf
Eric View Post
Lots of people have some Native American ancestry. Heck I do, and I don't think that if I could act I'd be a good choice for Tonto. Probably because I don't think anybody's going to buy a really pasty out of shape white dude as Tonto.

While I'm willing to give the production the benefit of the doubt and wait and see how it shapes up, I will say that this particular bit of casting - no matter how good an actor Depp is - doesn't exactly inspire confidence in me.

Old September 25th, 2008   Terry Wood is offline   #13
Terry Wood
Geoffan

When has the Lone Ranger ever been relevant?

I love the character but it's always been a cowboy fairy tale about a mythological American West that never existed.

Making something that was intended to be shiny and optimistic gritty doesn't make it relevant. It just makes it something else under a brand name people recognize.

Depp's as good a choice for Tonto as anyone. At least he can act. One hopes, they will turn out an interesting and entertaining script, a decent director and a lead who won't be overpowered by Depp.

As for Dynamic Comics' version of the Lone Ranger, it is trash. The series has ran for the better part of two years and gone no where. The covers by Cassaday and the interior art are the series' saving grace, but as far as a story, it's milking the Ranger's origin which the old TV show told in 60 seconds during its intro every week.

The series is slowly paced and gritty for the sake of grit. It has absolutely no charm. Neither the Ranger nor Tonto are likable characters and even worse they are not interesting characters. It's the Emperor's New Clothes. They've basically turned the Ranger into a half-baked brooding Batman of the West with Tonto as an Alfred/Robin amalgam.

There is nothing original, intelligent, witty or even fun about the book. It's all been done better elsewhere.

Jonah Hex is a much better crafted book that actually suits the character.

If a gritty Western is your thing, check out Deadwood or any of Sam Peckinpah or Sergio Leone's Westerns. That's what the comic series' feeble writer is attempting to emulate.

Old September 25th, 2008   Asahi is offline   #14
Asahi
persona non grata

Why don't we just get a Frenchman and make another Zorro movie while we're at it?

Old September 25th, 2008   jasonleo is offline   #15
jasonleo
Genius Honky Horseman

It could be worse. We could have some Welsh guy playing Batman or some English guy playing Commis. Gordon.

caught a ride with a trickster and a javelin man
to a town down by the sea
Old September 25th, 2008   toyguytn is offline   #16
toyguytn*
Freakazoid

How do you make Lone Ranger relevant for today? Looking at casting in Hollywood lately there is only one solution.
Gotta go with Denzel Washington as the Lone Ranger and Eddie Griffin as Tonto!!

*Backs slowly out of the thread before the tomatoes get thrown.*