The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old December 15th, 2008   Primal Slayer is offline   #33
Primal Slayer
Geoffan

Im not surprised. I mean Titans is still relatively new. And as you can see its sells are still lowering from its debute whereas Teen Titans has had time to level out.

Old December 15th, 2008   DeTroyes is offline   #34
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

Location: Miskatonic University, Dept. of Ancient Manuscripts

Im not surprised. I mean Titans is still relatively new. And as you can see its sells are still lowering from its debute whereas Teen Titans has had time to level out.
ddf
Primal Slayer View Post
Actually, Teen Titans has been on a downward sales slide for the past couple of years. When McKeever took over, it was selling in the mid 50k's; now its selling in the upper 30k's. That's a 15k-plus steady drop in 1 1/2 years.

Of course, Titans appears to be dropping faster. But neither title is actually gaining new readers. In fact, if the figures I've been keeping track of are correct, then there hasn't been one instance of one issue of Teen Titans selling better than the previous month in two-three years. And Titans has been on a similar trajectory.

When the December sales data gets released, I'll probably post a "sales year in review" thread for all the Titans titles.

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Looking for meaning, searching for answers, finding nothing but loose change and pocket lint.
Old December 15th, 2008   Ryan Higgins is offline   #35
Ryan Higgins
Geoffan

I actually enjoy Titans, for the most part. The first few issues were really off, but the last few have been good, I thought. Titans also has the "better" characters. It's not to say I don't like Ravager, Kid Devil, and Marvin & Wendy, but that's not what I think of when I think of Teen Titans.

Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
408-245-6275
ryan@comicsconspiracy.biz
Old December 19th, 2008   Bill Walko is offline   #36
Bill Walko
Comrade

CBR posted sales estimates for November...
now, they are estimates...

but, TITANS is falling again, and getting closer to TEEN TITANS in terms of sales...

TITANS #6 (October): 45,448
TITANS #7 (November): 41,502
-8.68% drop

TEEN TITANS #64 (October): 39,690
TEEN TITANS #65 (November): 37,872
-4.58% drop

And, oh, TERRA #1 sold 20,947
that's NOT good either.

Not good news for either series. But if they don't do something to fix TITANS soon, things don't look good.

Check out my new webcomic!
The Hero Business by Bill Walko
Because with great power comes great marketability.
Old December 19th, 2008   LaPrincesa is offline   #37
LaPrincesa
Geoffan

I like the Titans lineup better but I don't love the writing. With TT I don't love the lineup.

Old December 19th, 2008   Argent is offline   #38
Argent*
Puppet Headed Horseman

but, TITANS is falling again, and getting closer to TEEN TITANS in terms of sales...

-8.68% drop

-4.58% drop

that's NOT good either.

Not good news for either series. But if they don't do something to fix TITANS soon, things don't look good.
ddf
Bill Walko View Post
I'm wondering just how low the numbers are going to hit post-IC especially with no Bat-Family involvement. Titans with no Robin and Nightwing is going to shoot these titles in the leg, possibly both legs.

It's not just a podcast, it's a GEEK TRAGEDY!
Old December 20th, 2008   eboogyman is offline   #39
eboogyman
Lawn Chair Repairman

-8.68% drop

-4.58% drop

that's NOT good either.

ddf
Bill Walko View Post
I feel as these books are quickly approaching cancellation numbers. I seriously hope they do something soon. I feel like this is reminiscent of the post Titans hunt storyline where the book had renewed interest, then they started adding members like Green Lantern (Kyle) and other ones who had no purpose in the Titans universe.

I cant for the life of me figure out why editorial thinks that adding Kid Eternity and others would spike an interest in the book and it seems that they do EVERYTHING other then give fans what they want, which is the dream team back.

My guess is that they will eventually bring back the YJ crew in the forefront as a last ditch effort before cancellation but by that time the writer and artist will be no name guys and it will be hard to get traction for that reason.

Also, I read an interview with Johns when he announced his departure from JSA and he stated "Sometimes when I leave a book I look at the direction of it and say to myself "What the heck are they doing?!?!"

I can only assume he means the Teen Titans

Old December 20th, 2008   therealssjlink is offline   #40
therealssjlink
Master Geoffan

^

Uh...no, they won't be cancelling it.

Unless you think that WW is going bye-bye too (All DC titles except GL and Batman are selling poorly).

Old December 20th, 2008   DeTroyes is offline   #41
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

I can only assume he means the Teen Titans
ddf
eboogyman View Post
Actually, Johns has said at several conventions nothing but positive words about McKeever's Teen Titans.

Titans, on the other hand...

BTW, I don't think either Titans or Teen Titans are in any immediate danger of cancellation. Both of them would have to shed about another 20k before that was a factor. Besides, DC has made it clear that they want both of these titles to be among its premier franchises. With that in mind, they'll probably shift creative teams and such three or four times before they even think of giving up on them.

I'm wondering just how low the numbers are going to hit post-IC especially with no Bat-Family involvement. Titans with no Robin and Nightwing is going to shoot these titles in the leg, possibly both legs.
ddf
Argent View Post
Actually...

Anecdotal evidence to be sure, but I know of quite a few Titans fans who are actually looking forward to the idea of Robin-less or Nightwing-less Titans teams. Its not as if Robin and Nightwing are the ONLY reason people read either title.

I think their departure will probably have less impact on sales than you think.

Personally, I think the worsening economy is a far, far more potent threat to either title than any cast changes could ever be.
Last edited by DeTroyes; December 20th, 2008 at 02:12 AM.

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Looking for meaning, searching for answers, finding nothing but loose change and pocket lint.
Old December 20th, 2008   DeTroyes is offline   #42
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

that's NOT good either.
ddf
Bill Walko View Post
It's not great, but it was actually much better than a fair number of other mini series that came out this year. It looks to have sold better than Cyborg, for instance, and will probably end up better than Raven or Huntress Year One (to name a few titles).

Considering how much the economy sucks and the fact that it has clearly started to impact comic sales, the fact that Atlee still managed about 20k is possiby something of a miracle.

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Old December 20th, 2008   BART ALLEN is online now   #43
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

i have four brillant idea to help teen titans

1-bring back Bart
2-bring back kon
30bring back johns
4-bring back mcKone

Looking for the light in a land of forever night
Old December 20th, 2008   imnosuperman is offline   #44
imnosuperman
Master Geoffan

Personally, I think the worsening economy is a far, far more potent threat to either title than any cast changes could ever be.
ddf
DeTroyes View Post
Yeah, the economy is what's killing books right now. But Teen Titans isn't close to cancellation yet, so I'm not going to worry exactly.

Will Work For Comics

Like RPing? Then check this forum out: http://z13.invisionfree.com/DC_The_New_Heroes
Old December 21st, 2008   Bill Walko is offline   #45
Bill Walko
Comrade

I feel as these books are quickly approaching cancellation numbers. I seriously hope they do something soon.
ddf
eboogyman View Post
Neither book is close to cancellation numbers. As a matter of fact, they are probably both in DC's top 15. Possibly even DC's top 10!

Buuuuuut, the sales are dropping steadily. At some point, sales should start to level off, and sustain a solid readership. Problem is, neither book has done so. IF the books continue to continually slide at this rate, then in a year or two, they could be in some serious trouble.

TITANS is actually sliding faster in sales than TEEN TITANS. But that's partially because TITANS is only on #8.

Check out my new webcomic!
The Hero Business by Bill Walko
Because with great power comes great marketability.
Old December 21st, 2008   imnosuperman is offline   #46
imnosuperman
Master Geoffan

i have four brillant idea to help teen titans

1-bring back Bart
2-bring back kon
30bring back johns
4-bring back mcKone
ddf
BART ALLEN View Post
You do realize that Johns was the one to set Bart and Kon down on the "emo" path, right? And wasn't it under his pen that we lost about 5-6 Titans members, counting Risk's dismemberment? Was he not responsible for the death of Superboy? Or the de-evolution of Wonder Girl?

I'm all for Bart, and I'm all for Conner. I'd love for McKone to come back as well, but right now, I'm digging McKeever's take on the team, since he did things with the team that Geoff never did. He let Rose loose for an entire issue, full throttle; he focused an entire issue on Marvin and Wendy; he's even begun to have Kid Devil evolve under his pen. Having Johns back on the title may boost sales temporarily, but he would need to have a clear plan as to what he wants to do with the title, and not just leave characters/storylines in limbo.

I mean, look at the Titans East arc. Tell me you don't think his last couple of issues seemed "burnt out". If the man has a plan for the book, and it doesn't involve whole-sale slaughter anymore, than I'm all for it!

P.S.- I dig Geoff's work, for the most part. Sinestro Corps. was excellent, and Justice Society of America has been nothing short of incredible. His Teen Titans work, for the most part, didn't really 'click' with me.

P.P.S.- Actually, I'd rather see Tony Daniel come back to the title. That would be the best thing ever.

Will Work For Comics

Like RPing? Then check this forum out: http://z13.invisionfree.com/DC_The_New_Heroes
Old December 22nd, 2008   stephbarton v.2 is offline   #47
stephbarton v.2
You can't see me...

I think they need to fix the Teen Titans line-up. I left because the constant shake up was becoming too much for me and of all the characters I only cared about Tim (and couldn't STAND Wonder Girl). Now I like Rose and Eddie (and Jamie of course) but it looks like the line-up is getting changed AGAIN. True it's supposed to stabalize after this, but in all honesty it LOOKS like it's characters I could care less about and so no incentive for me to pick it up in monthlies.

So the post-OYL shake-up was a huge mistep by DC. Not only did you have a very different line-up, but there hasn't been a chance to really let them settle and form without one stupid move after another.

So one book has the line-up people want, but lousy writing, the other has solid writing, but a line-up that leaves most people cold.

They probably should try and pull more from the YJ generation (have Cissie at least show up, Empress, Ray?) and less from the who? crowd.

Originally stephbarton (hence the v.2)
Old December 22nd, 2008   imnosuperman is offline   #48
imnosuperman
Master Geoffan

I think they need to fix the Teen Titans line-up. I left because the constant shake up was becoming too much for me and of all the characters I only cared about Tim (and couldn't STAND Wonder Girl). Now I like Rose and Eddie (and Jamie of course) but it looks like the line-up is getting changed AGAIN. True it's supposed to stabalize after this, but in all honesty it LOOKS like it's characters I could care less about and so no incentive for me to pick it up in monthlies.

So the post-OYL shake-up was a huge mistep by DC. Not only did you have a very different line-up, but there hasn't been a chance to really let them settle and form without one stupid move after another.

So one book has the line-up people want, but lousy writing, the other has solid writing, but a line-up that leaves most people cold.

They probably should try and pull more from the YJ generation (have Cissie at least show up, Empress, Ray?) and less from the who? crowd.
ddf
stephbarton v.2 View Post
I think one problem is that people are judging the book solely on the news and covers. We don't know how McKeever is going to write these guys, but maybe, just maybe he might be able to make these characters popular amongst readers.

Though I do agree, I would like to see Empress make an appearance/help the team. Not sure about Cissie or Ray though, considering one has left the hero game and the other is with a different team.

Will Work For Comics