The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old January 15th, 2009   momoney433 is offline   #1
momoney433*
Reading Impulse. Duh.

Default Mo's Flash Volume 2 Reviews Part One!

Hey all,

This is the first part in a series of reviews of every issue of Flash volume 2.... a little something I like to call:

Mo's Flash volume 2 Reviews!!!! (creative, I know)

Im going to be making a thread per each 50 or so issues so I don't have one mega-thread or 70-something threads. Each review will contain one story arc so they will have like between 2-7 or so issues per review. Hopefully, Ill get these all done eventually!!

Breakdown of the parts ('cause I know you all care so much[Its really just for me to remember]):
  • Part one- issues #1- #49
  • Part two- issues #50- #100
  • Part three- issues #101- #150
  • Part four- issues #151- #200
  • Part five- issues #201- #247

*Note: I probably will do reviews of issues #0 and #1/2, because they are needed for the story. They will be placed in wherever their continuity belongs.

The reviews will have four parts per issue, and one additional part for the arc. Each issue has a story overview, my review, my rating, and a quote from the issue. The arc will have a panel/ page/ group of panels scan of something interesting, funny, awesome, etc.

I might start a blog and post them there too.... Its a possibility.

Issues #1 and #2 reviews in the post following.

-Mo

PS- They do spoil the issue by giving an overview of the story, so if you don't want to know what happens and you just want to know my rating or whatever, you have been warned.

-Mo
'I am normal it's the rest of the world that's weird.'
Bart Allen

http://twitter.com/LLottT
momoney433.tumblr.com
Old January 15th, 2009   momoney433 is offline   #2
momoney433*
Reading Impulse. Duh.

Default Here..... We...... GO!

Ok here we go! first time reviewing so bear with me while I get comfortable with this.... and review critisms are fine... Im new to all this!

after doing the first one, I thought the story overview was to long so I shortened the second one... I think its a better length.

Flash #1, June 1987

Story overview:
In the beginning, Wally buys lotto tickets and 6 Baby Ruths. He gets home for a ‘surprise’ party, which he knew about. The Titans and Wally’s girlfriend Francine throw it for him and for about 5 minutes and they have a great time. Wally gets a pair of shoes with ‘a special fiberglass sole which is good for 100,000 KM at 700 MPH’ made by S.T.A.R. Labs from the Titans. At the party, Wally eats an enormous amount of hamburgers, as eating is a theme throughout the issue. Before they even get to the cake, the party is cut short by a phone call from a Dr. Aikens who tells him that he needs to deliver a heart for a transplant that won’t make it in time due to bad weather. Note that when Wally walks in his office, Dr. Aikens calls him Kid Flash, which is corrected by Wally as Flash. Wally says he’ll do it for a price which the Doc isn’t too happy about. The deal finally is decided for the hospital to call on Wally whenever they want, as long as they take care of his medical bills. On his way out, an unnamed doctor calls him Kid Flash again, to be corrected by another unnamed doctor. He runs for quite a while when he sees Vandal Savage killing a detective who was on Savage’s case. Wally runs the detective to the local police station and as he runs to give the heart transplant, he can’t get Savage’s name out of his head. He gets to the hospital just in time for when he passes out, and sleeps for seventeen hours before awaking in perfect health. He runs to McDonalds and gets five double cheeseburgers and four chocolate malts before he comes back to the hospital to see the patient who he ran the heart for. She happens to be an author that Wally has read books from and talks with her for a while before returning home on an airplane. On the airplane, he stops a hijacking and sprains his hand in doing so. He has six dinners and sleeps until he gets off the plane. When he gets to his apartment, nobody is there but his happy birthday banner is still up. He turns on the TV and realizes he won the lotto when the lottery comes on. He sees a present which he didn’t see before he left, opens it and in it there is a heart. Like the type you’d find in a human. The issue ends with Vandal Savage in Wally’s apartment.

Review:
The story seemed a little flat to me and although there were some surprises (Vandal Savage and the heart present), I just didn’t feel like it was that intense. In the issue, Wally can’t top the speed of sound which really sets a slow pace for the book. It takes him something like three hours to get to Seattle from the hospital, which frankly isn’t that impressive. Of course at the time, his top speed was 705 MPH and that was very fast for him at the time, which compared to his speed today is fast. I guess if I was reading this in 1987 and I was used to Wally being that fast, I wouldn’t think twice of it. My favorite part of it was when he was stopping the plane hijackers, which took him all of three seconds. The way that part was paced was perfect. And when he jumps back into his seat, the guy next to him asks Wally, ‘Did you see that?’ which was a nice way to end the scene for me. The ending did make it so I want to read the next issue, so I'm going to go do that now!!

Rating:
Writing: four out of five stars. I really liked this issue, but I'm holding back that one star because it didn’t seem like a first issue of a series to me.
Art: five out of five. I had no problems with the art.
Favorite Quote:
“All of a sudden, I'm a millionaire.” –Wally, page 20

Flash #2, July 1987

Story overview:
We enter as Vandal Savage is speaking to Wally which leads to a fight. Wally can’t run and to the police or even his apartment because Vandal put a magical spell on it so Wally has a hard time defeating him. Flash eventually throws Vandal out his door into the abyss Savage created with is spell. During the fight, Wally further injured his wrist. The next day, Wally goes to fast to collect his 6 ½ million dollars from the lotto he won. He goes too ‘Club Neon,’ a dance club with Francis. He eventually gets a bottle of wine sent to him from vandals savage who tracked him down and fights Wally and Francis until he gets thrown out a window. The next day Wally picks up Francis in his new Porsche and takes her to his new mansion on Long island.

Review:
No complaints about this issue. I liked how each time Wally got a cab; it was the same cabdriver who called him ‘Rockefeller’ because she won the Lotto. Cool story, I liked the fight scene at the ‘Club Neon’ specifically when Wally had to save a lady who Vandal threw out the window. Good pacing, I feel like more happened in this issue than the last one.

Rating:
Writing: Five out of five stars. No complaints.
Art: Five out of five stars. Covers made me want to read the issue, interiors and were spot on.
Favorite Quote:
“Why do you kill, Vandal?” “I cannot die, therefore I kill.” –Wally, Vandal Savage, page 1

Panel of the review:
From Flash v. 2 #2,

Its like hitting a... Wally, come on man! I didnt need to know that!

-Mo

-Mo
Bart Allen

momoney433.tumblr.com
Old January 15th, 2009   stephbarton v.2 is offline   #3
stephbarton v.2
You can't see me...

Cool! I was really excited to see this up and started, I've never read these issues so this is really nice for me.

I think the format works (story, review, etc). I also really like favorite quote part, it makes the review even more special (if that makes sense).

Originally stephbarton (hence the v.2)
Old January 15th, 2009   momoney433 is offline   #4
momoney433*
Reading Impulse. Duh.

Cool! I was really excited to see this up and started, I've never read these issues so this is really nice for me.

I think the format works (story, review, etc). I also really like favorite quote part, it makes the review even more special (if that makes sense).
ddf
stephbarton v.2 View Post
Thanks!! Yeah I really like finding the quotes.... adds a nice little personal touch to the review.

-Mo
Bart Allen

momoney433.tumblr.com
Old January 16th, 2009   trueheir82 is offline   #5
trueheir82

i enjoyed this a lot considering my comics are all locked away right now and i miss re-reading my old flash comics

Old January 16th, 2009   Kelson is offline   #6
Kelson
Neo Geoffan

Cool! Off to a great start!

I like the Vandal Savage quote for #2. It says a lot about his character. Though my favorite is (I think) either from the story leading into Flash #50 or from DC One Million, in which he says that from time to time he has "chosen" to rule the world.

Sooner or later, you realize that Lucy is never going to let you kick the damn football.

Speed Force - Flash news and commentary
Old January 16th, 2009   greenlflash 2184 is offline   #7
greenlflash 2184
Master Geoffan

Great reviews, I can see these reviews will help me catch up on the many Flash comics I have missed.

Back off, man. I'm a scientist.
Old January 16th, 2009   momoney433 is offline   #8
momoney433*
Reading Impulse. Duh.

i enjoyed this a lot considering my comics are all locked away right now and i miss re-reading my old flash comics
ddf
trueheir82 View Post
Thanks, man!!
Cool! Off to a great start!

I like the Vandal Savage quote for #2. It says a lot about his character. Though my favorite is (I think) either from the story leading into Flash #50 or from DC One Million, in which he says that from time to time he has "chosen" to rule the world.
ddf
Kelson View Post
Thanks!! Yeah thats a really powerful quote.... imagine being able to say that AND mean it!! So awesome!
Great reviews, I can see these reviews will help me catch up on the many Flash comics I have missed.
ddf
greenlflash 2184 View Post
Thanks, glad to help!

-Mo
Bart Allen

momoney433.tumblr.com
Old January 17th, 2009   momoney433 is offline   #9
momoney433*
Reading Impulse. Duh.

Hey no review for this weekend Im in Vermont for skiing... Ill get one in on Monday.

-Mo
Bart Allen

momoney433.tumblr.com
Old January 21st, 2009   momoney433 is offline   #10
momoney433*
Reading Impulse. Duh.

Hey guys, really sorry for the delay. I was skiing in Vermont 'till monday and Im catching up on school work since then so Im really shooting for this next one to be done for tomorrow. Not an excuse, but these are taking longer then I expected.

Better late then never!!

-Mo
Bart Allen

momoney433.tumblr.com
Old January 26th, 2009   momoney433 is offline   #11
momoney433*
Reading Impulse. Duh.

Default Sorry for delays....

EXTREMLY sorry for the delay, busy week!! Ive decided that Im not going to put to much pressure on myself to get one done every two days... Ill post them when I get them done. Who knows? If DC reads how I keep delaying it maybe Ill get a job there!!

Flash #3, August 1987

Story overview:
This issue is not a good day for Wally. First, he gets a speeding ticket (oh the irony, Flash getting a speeding ticket) and he says ‘I'm not going to let this ruin my day.’ He gets home to his mansion and there’s a note for him from Fran. It reads:
Dear Wally –
I have moved out. It was a mistake to move in with you. Things are happening too fast. I still love you, but I need some time to myself.
I’ll be in touch!
Love,
♥ Francine
Wally’s response is once again: ‘I'm NOT going to let this ruin my day. Flash has an appointment with a few doctors at S.T.A.R. Labs in Utah the next day about this speed, which can’t even pass the speed of sound. There are rumors going through the Lab about a mechanical monster that is near the Labs. Flash hears of them but of course disregards them. His main doctor is Professor Schmitz and his nutritionist is Tina McGee. Flash wakes up for an early jog when he passes a huge mechanical robot monster in the desert not too far from S.T.A.R. It attacks him, so instinctively he runs back to S.T.A.R. and the robot follows. It starts attacking everyone outside of the building and during the attack Professor Schmitz loses a finger. Everybody is forced inside by security, only to be locked in by the robot that controls all the computers in the world. It calls itself Kilg%re and announces its control of computers and play to rid the world of humans through S.T.A.R. Labs’ computers. The National Guard eventually breaks in and Kilg%re’s message is spread upon every television and computer in the USA telling everyone to flee the country or die. Flash, Tina, Professor Schmitz, and two of the National Guard are in a car driving back to the local town when flash notices that Professor Schmitz’s finger grew back.

Review:
Overall a very good issue. I liked the “This is not going to ruin my day” motif throughout the book. I feel like in Flash books, a lot should happen fast and this issue does just that. Very action packed, a lot of high paced crazy robot fighting goodness. The Flash getting a ticket for speeding in his Porsche is pretty funny… oh the irony. Kilg%re’s is a little bit iffy, it seemed very far out. I definitely liked how it ended, very cliffhanger-y. It makes you question whether Professor Schmitz is completely innocent, something I for one took for granted.

Rating:
Writing: Five out of five stars. Loved it. Pacing, action, and cliffhanger all were nicely excicuted.
Art: Four out of five stars. Anatomy and consistency were a little off.

Favorite Quote:
“That does it! Everyone into the building right now!...”-Security Guy, time passes, “Its coming in the building! I think everyone should get the hell out!” –Wally; page 13

Flash #4, September 1987

Story overview:
This issue continues the events of Flash #3. The Flash, Professor Schmitz, Tina, and the National Security Advisor speak with the president via video satellite, only to be cut short by Kilg%re. Kilg%re creates a robot machine from the metal in the room that attacks the group. One of the National Security Guard is killed and Flash beats the robot when Kilg%re cuts off all power to the city. Flash tells Tina about his suspicion that Prof. Schmitz is actually a clone that Kilg%re created from the finger of the real Schmitz. Flash tells Tina and the National Security Guard that he is going to go to Cyborg to see if he can help. Tina, who is married in a relationship that is about to fall through, makes out with Flash just as he leaves for Cyborg. Flash eventually gets to New York City and all the power is out there too. There is chaos going on in the streets which Flash doesn’t have time to deal with. He finds Cyborg and bounces off ideas with him. Note that anything that requires electricity that Wally or Vic do is powered by the TT Comsat which is solar powered. They decide that they will have to cut all the power in the world to get rid of Kilg%re, which is considered impossible. They conclude that it’s the only way, and they are worried that the Russians will never agree. After Flash takes a little nap (12 hours) Wally and Vic fly out to Utah to check out the silver dome that Kilg%re left behind there… sort of like a shed skin of a snake. The NSA figures out its hollow and light but wait for Flash and Cyborg to get there to see what’s under it. What’s inside is both amazing and scary to Vic and Wally. It’s a cloning chamber, just as Flash feared. The inside starts attacking Flash and Cyborg, so they leave. They explain to the NSA that what’s in there is off limits and infectious. When they ask what to tell the president, Flash says that it’s communist propaganda. That night, Flash sleeps with Tina and they discuss what Flash saw. After a morning meeting, they all move out to the desert so that Kilg%re can’t use the facility at S.T.A.R. against them. In the car, Vic tells Wally that ‘Schmitz’ has as much metal in him as Vic does; only it’s the alien technology that was in the dome which had the cloning material inside. They get to their temporary place and Cyborg sends a message to all nations in the world to turn off their power. ‘Schmitz’ jumps out of the room and runs at superhuman speed to ‘a tentacle of some monstrous mechanical octopus’ which is trying to get to ‘Schmitz’. Flash gets the robot professor out of the way just in time and the Kilg%re is finally finished.

Review:
I had a good time reading this issue. A good not rushed way to end this arc, and sort of realistic. The only problem is the fact that they were able to shutdown all the power in the world, which I don’t think would occur so easily. It ends with the Flash going to bed with Tina, which definitely makes me want to read the next issue to see what happens between Wally, Tina, and Tina’s husband.

Rating:
Writing: Five out of five stars. No problems.
Art: Five out of five stars. Same thing as writing, no problems.

Favorite Quote:
“Been expecting you, leadfoot.” –Cyborg, page 9

No scan today, nothing really scan-worthy.

-Mo
Bart Allen

momoney433.tumblr.com
Old January 26th, 2009   stephbarton v.2 is offline   #12
stephbarton v.2
You can't see me...

Yay! More Reviews!

First, I can understand why these would take awhile, so don't kill yourself trying to get through them. Also, maybe you should see about that job with DC

Secondly, wow, it's amazing to me how much stuff they crammed into comics back then, so far every issue seems really packed (and to think if that these were written today we would still be dealing with Vandel Savage).

Lastly, I'm glad I got to know Wally a bit (a lot) later in his life, cause i don't think I would be too fond of him in his earlier issues but I really like the man he grew into by the time Geoff got to him.

I really do appreciate the reviews as they tell me about stories that I otherwise wouldn't know about (since I don't see DC reprinting these and I'm not looking for more back issues).

So thanks again for all the hard work! I really enjoy it (and I'm still loving the quotes)

Originally stephbarton (hence the v.2)
Old January 26th, 2009   Kelson is offline   #13
Kelson
Neo Geoffan

I liked the “This is not going to ruin my day” motif throughout the book.
ddf
momoney433 View Post
Yeah, that's one of the motifs that's stuck in my head since I first read it.

One thing I find interesting about the Kilg%re is that it was introduced in a 1987 story, but the modern world is actually a more suitable environment for such a creature. There are so many computers wired together, not to mention all the wireless signals going around, that something like the Kilg%re could not only thrive, but risk sensory overload.

Sooner or later, you realize that Lucy is never going to let you kick the damn football.

Old January 26th, 2009   momoney433 is offline   #14
momoney433*
Reading Impulse. Duh.

Yay! More Reviews!

First, I can understand why these would take awhile, so don't kill yourself trying to get through them. Also, maybe you should see about that job with DC

Secondly, wow, it's amazing to me how much stuff they crammed into comics back then, so far every issue seems really packed (and to think if that these were written today we would still be dealing with Vandel Savage).

Lastly, I'm glad I got to know Wally a bit (a lot) later in his life, cause i don't think I would be too fond of him in his earlier issues but I really like the man he grew into by the time Geoff got to him.

I really do appreciate the reviews as they tell me about stories that I otherwise wouldn't know about (since I don't see DC reprinting these and I'm not looking for more back issues).

So thanks again for all the hard work! I really enjoy it (and I'm still loving the quotes)
ddf
stephbarton v.2 View Post
Thanks!! I totally agree with you on the streching things out that comics currently do.... it will be interesting to see how my reviews get shorter as i go on. While reading older comics, Im really amazed by how much they were able to fit in them, IMO it was better that way!! Although it is cool to go more in depth.
Yeah, that's one of the motifs that's stuck in my head since I first read it.

One thing I find interesting about the Kilg%re is that it was introduced in a 1987 story, but the modern world is actually a more suitable environment for such a creature. There are so many computers wired together, not to mention all the wireless signals going around, that something like the Kilg%re could not only thrive, but risk sensory overload.
ddf
Kelson View Post
In my opinion, tomorrow will always be more sutitable for Kilg%re. As long as the internet and computers and wi-fi and all that grow, Kilg%re will become more an more dangerous of an idea! Its really a mind-blowing thing to think about, one being controlling all the computers and TVs and iPhones and cell phones and blackberrys and all gadgets in the world... who knows what one could do with that much power.

-Mo
Bart Allen

momoney433.tumblr.com
Old January 27th, 2009   married guy is offline   #15
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

I still have a soft spot for Kilg%re!
I got a kick out of his/it's appearance in Manhunter.

As a Wally-Flash tragic, I've been very spoiled with a pool of SUPER talented writers & artists on my favourite character. Baron, Messner-Loebs, Waid, Millar, Morrison, Johns, Porter, Kolins, Infantino, Ryan, Pacheco, and of course, 'Ringo (amongst MANY others!).

These reviews are a nice reminder of how great this book was.

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old January 27th, 2009   Kelson is offline   #16
Kelson
Neo Geoffan

I still have a soft spot for Kilg%re!
I got a kick out of his/it's appearance in Manhunter.
ddf
married guy View Post
Really? As in the just-canceled Kate Spencer Manhunter?