The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old December 24th, 2009   Geoff Johns is offline   #1
Geoff Johns
Premier

Default The Flash Update!

Merry Christmas Eve, everyone! I hope you all have save travels if youíre heading somewhere for the holidays.

Obviously, there have been some changes (among many) in DCís approach to co-features and, in particular, the Flash universe that have raised questions and frustrations. Yes, THE FLASH will no longer have the Wally West co-feature. Itíll remain one of DCís $2.99 books rather than $3.99 and Barry Allen will be the lead character. Yes, the plans for creating a book title KID FLASH have altered. (The creative team lined up never started on the book.) And, yes, it was a mistake to announce our plans before they were set in stone. Everyone was just excited about the Flash. No one wants to disappoint anyone. Thatís not only bad business, itís bad karma. So all that above? Thatís the bad news.

But there is good news too. You will see the stories Scott Kolins and I have been working on. You will see Wally and Bart and everyone (Jesse will surprise a lot of people!). You will see the Flash universe grow organically. No one wants the Flash universe to achieve the same heights Green Lantern has more than me and the creative and editorial team working on it (and maybe the bean counters at DC! ). I'm also working hard on the movie. Despite what it looks like, the plans have grown for the Flash universe, although the rollout for things has changed. Imagine something more like how Green Lantern grew. The Flash universe is set for something VERY big in 2011 as well. Itíll take a bit more time to build (not too much), but in the long run I do believe the foundation will be stronger for it. I canít get into specifics too much and I donít want to until we literally have covers to show Ė which Iím sure will frustrate some people Ė but I donít want to see anyone disappointed.

I am incredibly excited about the future of the Flash and I think when things are finally rolling in April, you all will be too.

I'll try and answer any questions I can when I can over the next few days.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!!

Geoff

Remember if you don't read comics you help the enemy!!
Old December 24th, 2009   Timekeeper is offline   #2
Timekeeper
Advanced Geoffan

Thanks, Geoff, this is incredibly reassuring. You continue to be one of the nicest and most professional writers in comics.

Didio should take a page from your book, because this is how the original announcement should have been handled.

You rock!

Damn, I needed a new signature :P
Old December 24th, 2009   Hierarch555 is offline   #3
Hierarch555
Paul O'Neil

Considering how the Flash has done in the past few years, it makes sense not to release a glut of titles all at once. Looking forward to secret files and beyond!

Superman: "You can't predict the outcome of every action. You can't stop every injustice simultaneously. But you have to try, don't you?"
Old December 24th, 2009   Rustyautoparts is offline   #4
Rustyautoparts

Thanks so much for the quick response, Geoff. You really are a class act.

But there is good news too. You will see the stories Scott Kolins and I have been working on.
ddf
Geoff Johns View Post
Does this mean that the stories planned for the Wally co-feature will be incorporated in the main title? Do you have plans with Scott Kolins beyond BN: Flash? If so, awesome. If not, I'm still as excited as ever for some great Flash stories. Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Old December 24th, 2009   fallentaco is offline   #5
fallentaco
The Lone Gunman

Geoff, any word on how well be seeing you and Scott's tales for wally? Will they kind of be integrated like the tales of the corps part in GL? Random fill in issues to allow Manapul to catch up between arcs?

Also thank you so much for clearing all this up, and I am glad to hear the other speedsters will play a part in the Flash.

It was Stamford all over again only this time Nitro was the edge of Capís shield.-Joe Q
Old December 24th, 2009   Stephen Henel is offline   #6
Stephen Henel
Lord Magistrate of Mayhem

Thanks for the update, but if at all possible, could I hear something specifically about Wally West? It seems like any news concerning his future is always rolled up into general references to "The Flash franchise" or "The Flash family," usually in the same breath as news about his kids. Slowly but surely, he's gone from being the Kyle Rayner of the Flash family to the Zeppo Marx of the Flash family. On top of the most recent promises that fell through for his fans, there was also talk that he would be a huge part of the Titans book (that THIS would be the primary place we would see him), and now that appears to be changing as well, with Deathstroke's team taking over the book.

With Bart, I'm seriously disappointed about his book being postponed because I loved Impulse (Or Ultimate Spider-man version 1, as I call it), but at least a book was planned. With Wally, I'm starting to doubt there is a future for him, and a big moment of the next issue of Rebirth might just be his retirement.

Other things suggest this as well. Even ignoring the whole aggravation caused by the canceled projects for the moment, I'm a little afraid that Rebirth so far hasn't really done much to explain just why Wally is needed in a world that has Barry. Or any of the other Flashes, for that matter. Barry was retconned to be the past, the present, and the future of the Flash dynasty. Barry IS the Flash legacy. Jay is no longer the origin of the Flash legend. Bart is no longer the future. Wally is no longer the present (he isn't even the person who discovered the Speed Force anymore). This is because Barry Allen literally created all of the other Flashes in his image, and they have no power other than through him. The major reason given for Wally's replacement was that you couldn't tell his story without telling Barry's story. Fair enough. But now you can't tell any Flash's story without Barry....and on top of that, they all need him to continue running to get fuel for the Speed Force (if you can clarify, please help), so doesn't that severely damage their ability to carry books on their own? It seems to me that if the logic used to take Wally out of the spotlight is still sound, none of the Flashes other than Barry will be getting a book. Have opinions changed on this belief?

It's sad, because when I think of the Green Lantern franchise, the image that sums up the feeling of that book best is the picture of all the Lanterns holding up their batteries and reciting their oaths like the knights of the round table. When I think of the image that best sums up the new Flash franchise, it's the cave painting Barry finds in Gorilla City during Blackest Night. A giant Barry Allen with all the other Flashes as tiny as insects, buzzing around him.

Make no mistake, I have nothing against Barry Allen and acknowledge that he should have a prominent place in DC lore. I just also happen to believe that the other Flashes deserve a place of their own, too. And that when the greatest stories told about a certain character involve him stepping out of his mentor's shadow, the worst place to put him is right back in that shadow for the forseeable future. Even if the market can't support the books at the moment, steps can still be taken so that Bart and Wally have unique places in Flash history. But the movement to tie all of their powers and history to Barry Allen is the wrong way to accomplish this, in my opinion. They need space and they need autonomy. Both of these can be accomplished without creating new titles. Keep them visible in other team books. Make them team leaders. Redefine the Speed Force concept so that they are ALL engines or fuel, or in some way necessary elements of its "machinery." Write a Flash story in the main title that doesn't center on the main Flash (Grant Morrison did during Wally's series, and it was THE BEST Jay Garrick story ever). If DC has plans to this effect, that would be a great comfort to me. I look forward to future Flash stories where equality isn't just something Barry Allen mentions simply so the character can appear charitable.
Last edited by Stephen Henel; December 24th, 2009 at 01:53 PM.

As promised, tapping out.
Old December 24th, 2009   HPT is offline   #7
HPT
Neo Geoffan

Thanks so much for the quick response, Geoff. You really are a class act.
ddf
Rustyautoparts View Post
couldn't have said it better myself.
i really didn't expect a reply this soon, given the holidays and everything, and the fact we got one is proof enough that geoff really cares about the characters (and the fans!).

i've got faith in where the flash is heading, and i can't wait to see what happens.

hope the wally fans are breathing easy now.

Old December 24th, 2009   Craig M.D. is offline   #8
Craig M.D.
Geoffan

Thanks for taking the time to post, Geoff.

I have to say, I have not been the biggest fan of Flash: Rebirth or the changes made to Barry Allen. I was disappointed also with Wally's co-feature being put "on hold" as he's my favorite Flash.

That said, I've been a Flash fan since 1987 and I've stayed with the Flash franchise ever since, even through the ups and downs of the last three years, so I do intend to pick up Barry's new series to at least give it a shot.

I really hope that even if we don't get a second title or co-feature for Wally (or Bart or Jay) that you, Francis, and DC can get the Flash (and the franchise) finally back on track.

Old December 24th, 2009   Geoff Johns is offline   #9
Geoff Johns
Premier

Think of it this way -- Wally will continue to do what he's always done, continue and build the Flash legacy, only in ways more insanely epic in scope and adventure than ever. Barry is the Flash who started the spark, Wally is the one who fans the fire.

PS - At the market with my Dad and our order is MIA for Xmas dinner. ANOTHER Johns - Steve Johns - took ours by mistake. True story.

Remember if you don't read comics you help the enemy!!
Old December 24th, 2009   General grievous is offline   #10
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

Hunter Zolomon--My favourite villain.

Is he welcome in the new flash comics..............

What about the snail? (I have his origins mapped out and everthing)

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old December 24th, 2009   fallentaco is offline   #11
fallentaco
The Lone Gunman

Think of it this way -- Wally will continue to do what he's always done, continue and build the Flash legacy, only in ways more insanely epic in scope and adventure than ever. Barry is the Flash who started the spark, Wally is the one who fans the fire.
ddf
Geoff Johns View Post
That is why we love you as a writer Geoff, you get the characters and can reinstate faith in DC even when they get us down! Thats just what I wanted to hear, I look forward to Wally's tales.

It was Stamford all over again only this time Nitro was the edge of Capís shield.-Joe Q
Old December 24th, 2009   K-DoG7p7 is offline   #12
K-DoG7p7
Neo Geoffan

Funny you should say MIA.. because i'm still wondering when Mia will see Kon.. after all she did save his ass twice before he offed himself :P

But seriusly, what can you say about the plans for Bart and Iris?
I know there has been some talk of Bart back in the Teen Titans this summer, but what about Iris? DC seems to have plenty of Kids her age at the moment.. a New Young Justice?

Let us all Gather to save out fallen heroes..
Save Green Arrow and Black Canary Updated: 05-25-09
Old December 24th, 2009   Stephen Henel is offline   #13
Stephen Henel
Lord Magistrate of Mayhem

ddf
Geoff Johns View Post
That's certainly a nicer way of putting it, but isn't Barry also the fan? And Bart, and Jay, and Max and Jesse? What makes Wally special enough that people would want to read about him as opposed to any of the other characters (his family included)? And if Barry creates other Flashes just by running fast enough, isn't everybody else entirely expendable? So long as there are people with his sense of justice, he can just, to use a metaphor, go down to the pound and find a new Wally West, can't he?

PS - At the market with my Dad and our order is MIA for Xmas dinner. ANOTHER Johns - Steve Johns - took ours by mistake. True story.
ddf
Geoff Johns View Post
That sucks, I feel bad for you guys. I feel even worse for whoever Mia was, but thems the breaks.

Thanks for responding, Geoff. I appreciate it, I really do.

As promised, tapping out.
Old December 24th, 2009   SNW21 is offline   #14
SNW21
GeoffJohns.com Original

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a response (details included) and clearing everything up. Here's to The Flash being DC Comics #1 book in 2010!!! Happy Holidays!!!

Old December 24th, 2009   General grievous is offline   #15
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

That sucks, I feel bad for you guys. I feel even worse for whoever Mia was, but thems the breaks.

Thanks for responding, Geoff. I appreciate it, I really do.
ddf
Stephen Henel View Post
MIA--Missing in action?

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old December 24th, 2009   Lee H is offline   #16
Lee H
Geoffan

Thanks Geoff.

I'll try and answer any questions I can when I can over the next few days.
ddf
Geoff Johns View Post
Will Bart be funny again? He's not had much chance to be funny since Young Justice ended. How about pictures in thought balloons?