The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old May 23rd, 2010   Power Metal is offline   #1
Power Metal

Default The Devil You Know: A tribute to Eddie Bloomberg

This is a dedication to one of the last true Teen Titans to have been created in a long time, a fun, unique, and original character in a world of darkness and blandness, and my favorite super hero ever. He is Eddie Bloomberg, better known as Kid Devil, and last known as Red Devil. When he first appeared as Blue Devil’s eager young sidekick, he was a light hearted dreamer, and that always stayed with him even when the stories were at their darkest. He faded into obscurity along with Blue Devil, but got the chance to shine again and break out with a new look and powers on a widely popular team, where he grew up and grew into the role of a true hero. Sadly, his time was cut short, and for now, he is only a memory. Anyone who's payed attention to the few times I've posted here know that I'm a huge fan of Eddie Bloomberg/Kid devil/Red Devil. Ever since his death, I have wanted to do something to make sure that he would be remembered. I present this tribute to keep Eddie Bloomberg’s memory alive, with the hope that one day he will return in some form. This is his story.

Before I truly begin, I’d like to give an overview of what kind of character Eddie is, from a design and thematic standpoint. Kid Devil is exactly what his name implies, a child like demon. He is a subversion of the typical demonic characters, much like his hero Blue Devil is. Eddie has the form of a devil, but the mind and personality of a teenager. He is innocent while at the same time corrupted. I like to imagine that Kid Devil is, in a weird way, kind of like classic heavy metal music. While both have traditionally dark, occult, and scary elements, the supposedly “evil” nature of these things is recognize for how ridiculous and silly it actually is and then embraced for fun, because it’s not taken too seriously. Eddie is similar to Raven in that he is part demon, but what makes him very, very different from her is that he embraces this power and has no question over its use for good, whilst Raven has always struggled with her inner evil. This is probably over simplifying the comparison, since Raven’s evil side has always been a very real threat, but the theme still applies to both characters and it’s a nice contrast seeing how two different personalities deal with it. Raven grew up being told her demonic side was evil and believed that, but Eddie grew up watching horror movies and listening to heavy metal. In Eddie’s eyes, being a devil is cool, and he knows that just being a devil does not make you inherently evil, just a bit chaotic, perhaps. What matters is if you have a soul. Eddie is also similar to another Teen Titans, Garfield Logan, aka Changeling. Both were brought out of obscurity when they joined the Titans, both were considered the comic relief and kids of the team, both grew up and adopted now code names, they both had abnormal skin color, and both were attracted to bad girls with connections with Deathstroke. It’s a shame they never hung out more.

We start out at Eddie’s beginning, as a supporting character of Blue Devil back in the mid-80s. To briefly explain, Blue Devil, a.k.a. Dan Cassidy, was stuntman trapped in a high tech devil costume, and his adventures involved mostly silly stories involving Hollywood and the likes of the Trickster. It was part of a wave of fun comics at the end of the Bronze Age of comics, which was sadly put to a halt once the Dark Age of comics reared its ugly head. Eddie Bloomberg was the nephew of Marla Bloom, Dan’s agent and movie producer who would become central to both Dan and Eddie in the future. Eddie was a chubby, freckled little red headed boy who loved action movies and superheroes, a geek from the start. Eddie liked all sorts of other geeky stuff, ranging from comics to sci-fi to horror to fantasy. It is pretty evident that Eddie is at least half-Jewish, since his aunt is Jewish. Therefore, Eddie’s father would be Jewish, and just from Eddie’s freckles and red hair back in this time, I’m assuming his mother was Irish. His ethnicity has never had a huge impact on his character, but his parents’ treatment has, as it has shaped the kind of person he would become.

Eddie was a special kid, even if it didn’t always seem like it. Eddie was nicknamed Gopher, as his job on his aunt’s film studio was that of a gopher. He looked up to Dan Cassidy while he was Blue Devil, and even went so far as to use Dan’s Blue Devil blueprints to create a Kid Devil suit. For a child of his age (around 12 or 13), this is astounding to say the least. The Blue Devil suit may not be the best technology in DC, but for Eddie to have been able to replicate it with just blue prints shows that he was practically a child prodigy, something that wasn’t touched on much. He had a real knack for technology to say the least. Eddie wanted to be Blue Devil’s sidekick because he looked up to Dan for being a superhero. In Eddie’s eyes, being a superhero was the best thing a person could be, and there are reasons why.
His first adventure as Kid Devil was saving his parents from plane hijackers. Eddie succeeded, but not without much protest from Dan or scolding from his parents. Kid Devil’s other adventures included a team up with his pen pal, the second Robin Jason Todd, and an encounter with Captain Cold. There honestly wasn’t much done between Eddie and Jason Todd. Eddie did mention he still thought Jason was cool, and it would have been interesting to see how they would have interacted when Jason was brought back. There was even an issue where the Titans do go question Jason about the death of Duela Dent, but Eddie didn’t go along with them, and it ends up as just a wasted opportunity.

Eddie’s parents, Robert and Sylvie, were letting Eddie stay with Marla in Hollywood, and after these incidents threatened to take him back to their home in Syracuse, New York. This may seem like the kind of decision good parents would make, but evidence suggests they weren’t quite that caring. Eddie had been sent to live at the Institute of Hypernormal Conflict Studies to be looked after by three professors at one point, and later Robert and Sylvie decided to just let Marla look after him.
What does all this mean? Going by what Geoff John’s wrote in his Teen Titans run, Eddie’s parents probably got tired of taking care of a child and finally just wanted to get Eddie out of their lives. They were fairly wealthy, and were likely the kind of parents who thought they could raise their kid if they just bought him enough toys to keep him happy, but were otherwise neglectful. They only saw Eddie as a burden, and this created in Eddie a sense of worthlessness and low self-esteem. Robert and Sylvie fought a lot, and Eddie was often caught in the middle. After spending so much time in Hollywood with his Aunt Marla and Dan, he likely came to see them as the kind of parental figures that his parents weren’t, which makes future events even more tragic. It was also his parents’ attitude that made Eddie want to be a superhero. He saw how much the heroes in the world were respected and admired, and Dan, whom he saw as a father figure, was the superhero Blue Devil. For most of Eddie’s life, he had been something of a burden to his parents, a disappointment, and powerless to do anything for anyone. I do not think Eddie simply wanted super powers just so he could be loved or because he wanted to be cool. I do not believe that he would be selfish like that. What I do believe is Eddie needed to become a superhero so that he could stop being a burden to those around him and start helping people. In his mind, being a hero was the greatest thing a person could be because people could rely on them, and Eddie wanted others to believe in him so he could believe in himself. But he was only a kid, and didn’t even realize all this.

Eventually, Blue Devil’s series was cancelled, and his supporting cast went into limbo for a time. Marla Bloom became a down and out producer who mostly worked on B-movies, but she persevered and continued to raise Eddie like her own child. Years later, Blue Devil became a part of the Justice League. In that time, he broke off contact with Eddie, which likely did a lot to further damage the boy’s esteem. Then there was Underworld Unleashed. Seeking to regain his glory days in Hollywood, Dan Cassidy made a deal with Neron, the ruler of Hell. He was to destroy a power station in the desert. Unfortunately, Marla Bloom was scouting out locations for her big comeback, The Story of Blue Devil. Because of the power outage, the helicopter pilot couldn’t see the warning lights, and they crashed, killing Marla, and leaving Eddie on his own.
Eddie did his best to find work, but because of his daydreaming, he was constantly being fired, and he just couldn’t make it big in Hollywood. Around this time, Eddie became friends with Zachary Zatara, Zatanna’s cousin and aspiring magician. They seem to have become close, but we’ve never seen much of how exactly they met or how their relationship developed, so there’s not much to go on. Eddie was likely drawn to Zach because of his relationship to a super heroine. Towards the end of the acclaimed series Young Justice, Eddie would get to wear his Kid Devil suit again, with a few modifications, and help them in Zandia, where he saved Robin from the Fisherman. If Young Justice hadn’t been canceled, I believe Eddie would have joined the team along with several other kid heroes, but it was not to come. Eddie simply could not outgrow his childhood dreams, and this would cost him.

During the one year gap, in the events of 52, Eddie attempted to join the Teen Titans, donning his old costume during a membership drive. However, his old Kid Devil suit had become old and worn out, and there was not much he could do, and so, he did not gain membership. However, Pulsar, another teen hero, suggested to Eddie that he apply to Luthor’s Everyman Project, spending all of the money his Aunt Marla had saved for him for the trip to Metropolis. This goes to show just how desperate this kid was. Unfortunately, Eddie was denied again, further shattering what little esteem he had, and leaving him broke and homeless. It was then that Eddie’s luck finally changed, though whether it was for good or worse is up for debate. Eddie was given a demon stick, a candle that could transport him to its creator. Eddie, with some help from his friend Zach Zatara, used it and came face to face with Neron, the Dominus of Hell who had made a deal with Blue Devil not too long ago. Neron’s proposal I’m sure most of you already know: he would grant Eddie Bloomberg super powers. Eddie would get to keep his powers and his soul as long as he kept his trust in Blue Devil, otherwise, he would lose his soul on his 20th birthday. Now, despite Blue Devil having broken off contact with Eddie for a few years, Eddie still believed he was the one person he could always trust. Eddie believed in his hero, and he couldn’t think otherwise, so he agreed, and finally became a real Kid Devil.

Now, I will stop a moment to examine how Eddie’s life could have been had Neron not given him the demon stick. Eddie was left broke and homeless in the city of Metropolis, with no one to turn to, save for Zach, who may or may not have supported him anyway. With nothing left to lose, Eddie could have easily become a petty criminal, or heck, he could even have used his beat up old devil suit to become a really bad C-list villain. Either way, Eddie was in a downward spiral. He may have damned himself by making the deal with Neron, but it was arguably a much better alternative. Anyway, once Eddie got his powers, Neron went and dropped a bombshell. He told Eddie about the deal he made with Blue Devil before, and heavily implied the link between it and Marla’s death. Horrified, Eddie denied it, but was transported away.

Eddie’s new demonic form had some interesting traits. He was a demon, more specifically a half-demon since he retained his soul. His main power was controlling his body heat, able to set himself on fire and breathe fire, which could reach the point of becoming white hot, although this was displayed just once. Along with this came enhanced strength, agility, endurance, and a healing factor, as well as a demonic physiology that made his insides incredibly hot. Also, his skin burned while in a church, and I suspect that other holy items would have similar effect. There is some issue with this however, as it’s pointed out that Eddie is not actually mystical, but that his metagene has just been activated. I always thought this was kind of lame not to have him be a real demon, even though his skin burns in a church. It feels like a copout, and just a way to link it to Underworld Unleashed, when Neron activated the metagenes of regular humans. I’m assuming that everyone’s metagene is unique, and that you can’t really decide what sort of powers you can get from it, but I’m starting to think I’m wrong. I guess it’s possible Neron manipulated Eddie’s metagene so he would, for all intents and purposes, be a devil without being one, and the skin burning is just a side effect of Neron’s taint. My personal theory is that Eddie had some demonic heritage from a long time ago and Neron awakened it, but that’s just me.

Kid Devil’s design has some elements to it that vary a lot different artists’ reconception. The most obvious things that hardly ever change are his red skin, horns, and forked tail. What seem to get changed the most are his feet and wings. Kid Devil was first drawn with two clawed toes on each foot, and he walks on his heels like normal people. It’s most likely because of Eddie’s form that many artists like to draw him crouching or walking on his toes, like many demons and devils do. Sometimes he’s drawn as having five toes, and sometimes his toes change in size and shape and in sharpness. A lot of artists also seem to forget to draw the winglets under his arms, and the number of “digits” on each wing s vary when they do remember, but I believe there are supposed to be just two. Kid Devil’s horns and tail length tend to vary too, but too much. Eddie’s horns are typically sleek and black, like a bull’s, but there have been a couple of times when they were drawn with ridges and colored red like his body. His tail’s length and spade at the end has never been too consistent, but Eddy Barrows tends to draw them as being very long and wide at the end. There was an issue of Blue Beetle in which artist Rafael Albuquerque forgot that Eddie had a tail, which is hard to forgive.

(Because of character limits, I will continue this with multiple posts)
Last edited by Power Metal; May 23rd, 2010 at 08:13 PM.

The Devil You Know - My tribute to Kid Devil: http://comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78972
Old May 23rd, 2010   Power Metal is offline   #2
Power Metal

Default Part 2

So, after Eddie got his powers, he finally got to join the Teen Titans, though at this point there wasn’t much left of them. Before that, Eddie and Zach had an adventure in New Azarath and were almost eaten by the Spectre. It would be great if DC could have done a few issues going over this little adventure, but… oh well. Eddie finally realized his dream, though he may have found it not as glamorous as he would have liked. Aside from himself, there was Robin, an out-of-order Cyborg, and Deathstroke's daughter Rose Wilson. Wonder Girl had quit after Superboy died. During these first adventures, Eddie had to deal with the emotional baggage left over from the Titans fracturing. He wasn’t a real Titan; he was just another teen hero there to fill up the roster. The Teen Titans were known for being a family, something which Eddie needed, but they were not a family, for now. Cyborg and Cassie certainly didn’t consider Eddie or Rose as real Titans, and I don’t think Tim did either, not at first.

It is because they were both the outsiders of the team that Rose and Eddie grew close. No one else really wanted anything to do with them, and so they turned to each other, like real Titans should. Eddie didn’t hold Rose’s past against her like the others, and there was little doubt that he would ever do anything to hurt her. Rose was Eddie’s first real friend in a very long time, and that meant a lot to him. Besides that, he was drawn to her bad-girl attitude, and she found him funny and adorable. Eddie helped lighten Rose’s mood when things got too serious, much like he did for the readers.

Another friend Eddie made was Miss Martian, a.k.a Megan Morse, a.k.a M’gann M’orzz. Like Eddie, she was a fun character who brightened people’s days. At first though, she couldn’t handle being with the Titans, due to how fractured and unfriendly they were at the time, and so she left. Despite this, it appears as though she liked Eddie even then, and during the Christmas special, she told him he was the only person who never had anything bad to say about anyone. When the Titans tried to get Megan to rejoin the team and help them look for Raven, she at first refused, saying “All I’ll hear is the bad things the Titans think about me. It hurts my feelings. None of you know what that’s like.” That last sentence is within a panel showing Eddie’s face, shadowed and looking saddened. This is a big hint that tells us that Eddie does know how it feels, and establishes the connection he has with Megan. Even when Eddie was new, and the team was in its worst state, Eddie was already becoming the heart of the Teen Titans, the one person who could have kept the team together and was loyal to them from the start. He was always the first to defend one of his teammates when they were accused of wrongdoing, such as when Rose was accused of being a traitor or when Megan was revealed as a White Martian. Along with Rose, Eddie and Megan’s relationship would continue to develop over the series, and it’s not a stretch to say that he was probably Megan’s best friend.

Kid Devil was not without his dark side, though. Beneath his warm exterior, there was always the pain and sadness of losing his Aunt Marla, and his desperation to keep his newly formed friends. He pretended that Blue Devil was still in contact with him, calling him to make sure that he was okay. Eddie even went so far as to quote Blue Devil and keep a swear jar, still acting as if Blue Devil was his hero. It was an act, possibly to make him seem more impressive to his new friends, and maybe to hide just how lonely he truly was. He was also in denial about Blue Devil causing his aunt’s death, refusing to believe any of Neron’s implications. When Tim found out, he could have been ashamed of Eddie, but the reveal, I think, actually helped Tim to realize how much Eddie needed the Titans. When Eddie was being manipulated by the Chief into joining the Doom Patrol, the rest of the team came to the rescue to put a stop to the lies, and they were finally acting like Titans.

Eddie managed to get into touch with Blue Devil again, and he told Eddie he would meet him at Titans Tower. However, Dan didn’t show up, leaving Eddie disappointed. This has a pretty big effect on Kid Devil, as he stopped keeping the swear jar and wrote “Blue Devil Sucks” on an autograph to a fan. When we do see Kid Devil’s fans, they are just a very nerdy looking man and his equally nerdy sons, and they are only really fans of Blue Devil and don’t even know who Kid Devil is. This was actually a pretty good reflection of the sort of status Kid Devil had in the real world at this time. He was still very obscure, and only some hardcore Blue Devil fans would even know anything about him. In later issues we would see that Eddie would gain more popularity, but mostly with other boys his age.

It was at this time that was as readers learned about the origin of Eddie’s powers. Eddie managed to track Blue Devil down, and learned Dan’s role in his Aunt Marla’s death. Eddie’s trust in Blue Devil was broken, and his soul would be Neron’s in just a few years. This was the single worst thing that ever happened to Eddie. It could have been the last straw for him, and he could have just snapped after that, but he didn’t. It hurt him, but Eddie accepted his fate, and instead of moping he chose to spend the rest of his life as best he could and hide the truth, so that he could continue living the life of a hero. The way in which Kid Devil handled this shows the kind of psychological fortitude he has. Eddie has already had to live a hard life of loss. He is used to it, and he knew that the Titans and being a hero was all he had left now, and he would not waste that. This issue had a lot more occult and mystic elements to it, which Eddie, being a demon, would have done well with had they ever wanted to do a more magical based plotline in this run. Kid Devil would next be seen in a Catholic Church, praying for his soul to be saved. We never really see Eddie being religious throughout his appearances, so this was probably just a last ditch effort to save himself. He may technically be Catholic, but I don’t think he’s any more a Catholic than he is Jewish.

The next story arc to come around is Titans East, where we meet Kid Devil’s first nemesis, Kid Crusader. He was only there briefly, but he made a good foil for Eddie. Eddie was a peaceful demon, and KC was a violent holy warrior, and if it had been properly explored, could have been an interesting commentary on religion, but I may be reading too much into it. We aren’t told much about Crusader, just that he hates anything unholy and that he fought Kid Devil and Zach in the past – another nod to the two’s past adventures that we never did see. When Kid Crusader took Eddie’s powers and was cursed, Eddie had the chance to be normal and free of the curse, but he chose to take it back. It says two things about Eddie. One, Eddie is a good guy, and while he may make dumb choices that backfire horribly, he still knows what the right thing to do is when it comes to others. The second thing is a little more subtle, and could be more of an alternate interpretation. When faced with the choice of either living a normal life or being a hero for a few short years followed by eternal damnation, Eddie would choose to be a hero. In his mind, the eternal suffering in Hell is very much worth those few years of being a hero. After this story, there’s some interaction between Kid Devil and Changeling. It was interesting, considering how Gar knows how Eddie might be feeling, and it’s a shame the two didn’t get to talk to each other more. Gar gives him some good advice, telling him that he can always count on the Titans if he needs help. It’s just too bad that this team isn’t the same as Gar’s.

We take a break between story arcs for the extra sized 50th issue special, where the Titans remember their then deceased-friend Bart, and Rose and Eddie go skinny dipping. It’s one of the most memorable scenes between them. Rose likes to tease Eddie, and she trusts him enough single him out and bring him along with her to have fun. Then Jaime, the third Blue Beetle, met the Teen Titans. Right off the bat, you can already tell that there’s going to be tension between him and Eddie. Jaime saves Rose, Eddie’s best friend and crush, from being burnt to ashes by a rocket, and Beetle hits it off well with the rest of the team, much to Eddie’s apparent displeasure. I will go into much, much further detail concerning their relationship later. In the Blue Beetle issue covering this event, we get another memorable scene with Eddie scaring all of the people out of a room by jumping around on fire and saying they’ve brought the apocalypse by practicing science. It’s downright hilarious, and Eddie obviously loves it. I wish there had been more instances of Eddie getting to have fun like this, but instead he’ll have to deal with a lot more angst.

We now go to the Titans of Tomorrow…Today! arc, where we get to see the future evil Red Devil, after he has lost his soul to Neron and the rest of his innocence. Red Devil is big, crude, and mean, and lacks all of Eddie’s kindness. It could be chalked up to him no longer having a soul, but we learn that there were reasons for his path to darkness. Supposedly, Rose and Jaime betrayed Eddie, causing Eddie to kill Jaime. How he managed to do this is a mystery, seeing as the Scarab is supposed to be extremely powerful, but from what Red Devil said, he probably caught Jaime by surprise. In any case, my guess is that Eddie’s jealousy of Jaime may have warped his perceptions. He might have convinced himself that Rose was in love with Jaime and not him, and believed that she had betrayed him. I don’t think that Red Devil was intentionally lying to Kid Devil, but I don’t think he was really telling the truth; just what he thought was true. However, Eddie’s loyalty to his friends won out, and he demonstrated that he was willing to battle himself to defend them, and deny any false truths.

Once that arc is done we get another breather issue. We get to see Rose hanging out with Jaime instead of Eddie. I never really got why Rose was dumping Devil for Beetle for this issue. The only theory I’ve got is that it was a deliberate attempt to make Eddie envious. Rose might have just simply thought Beetle was cool and wasn’t really trying to make Eddie upset, but she does get a bit insensitive when she tells Eddie to not touch anyone if he doesn’t want to burn them when he’s meditating, and calls him ugly, and burn ward, and a whiny baby. It’s weird to see Rose become so harsh towards Eddie so quickly, but then she says how Beetle has been texting her, and it reminds me of how Eddie said Blue Devil was calling him. Kid Devil tries talking to Megan, saying how nice it would be to not have feelings so you can’t get hurt, setting things up for the next arc.

It was at this time that Teen Titans got a new creative team, writer Sean McKeever and artist Eddy Barrows. It was these two that really cemented Kid Devil’s look and personality. Barrows’ artwork has come under some criticism in the past, but I really like what he did with Eddie, redesigning his costume and giving him more unique facial features. Eddie has a longer face than the other characters, with a more pointed and downward turning nose. Barrows made Kid Devil look more devilish while still making him look like a cute, geeky teenager. A lot of artists that try to make Eddie look devilish tend to just make him look ugly, but Barrows got it right. His costume got a bit of a revamp too, changing from just tattered black pants to something more traditionally super-heroic, getting rid of the tatters and adding gold trim which really went well with his color scheme. As for McKeever’s writing, he would greatly expand on the character, which I will go into.
Last edited by Power Metal; May 23rd, 2010 at 08:23 PM.

The Devil You Know - My tribute to Kid Devil: http://comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78972
Old May 23rd, 2010   Power Metal is offline   #3
Power Metal

Default Part 3

In my opinion, the most important story arc for Eddie is the Darkside Club/Terror Titans arc. Here, Kid Devil goes through his most character development as he is pushed to his limits and his outward persona of the fun-loving teenager starts to be deconstructed. It starts off with Eddie somehow causing the team to fail to capture the villain Shockwave, an old Blue Devil villain, who mocks Eddie by calling him Beast Boy. Eddie gets blamed for the blunder, but there are some things to point out here that just seem to bug me. Eddie responded to Shockwave by attacking him, and the villain countered with a shockwave blast that caused a building to collapse and allowing him to get away. Eddie didn’t technically do anything wrong here, but apparently the rest of the team had a plan going on which Eddie accidentally messed up. The thing is, Eddie didn’t know about the plan, and no one bothered to tell him about it. It’s Robin and Wonder Girl, the de facto “leaders,” that vent at him. Really though, they have only themselves to blame for not telling Kid Devil their plan. Did they just assume he would know? Eddie tells them he was stuck in a pit and didn’t know, but they do not sympathize with him, and Tim goes on to tell Eddie not to burn down the tower, as if this isn’t the first time Eddie has messed up.

Now, I could take this to be sloppy writing, but I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt and examine what this bit says about the team and Eddie. It is only Tim and Cassie that get mad at Eddie. The others just stay silent and don’t give an opinion. I think that Jaime, Megan, and Rose might have disagreed, but they didn’t come to Eddie’s aid or defend him. This could speak about the Teen Titans’ hierarchy. Tim and Cassie are the most senior members, and so they have more or less earned the right to lead. However, Tim and Cassie also come from different teams, Young Justice and a previous incarnation of the Teen Titans. Anyone who has been reading this run may have noticed that Tim and Cassie are much less cheery and interactive with the new guys than they are with themselves. We almost always only see the two of them talking personally with each other instead of the other three. My theory has been that Tim and Cassie could never get over losing Bart and Connor, and have been stuck in their own little clique that the others aren’t allowed into. They are aloof and distant leaders, to say the least, and I strongly believed that it’s Tim and Cassie that were really holding Teen Titans back from being a really great series.

With all that aside, Eddie doesn’t exactly have fun for the rest of this first issue. His best friend Rose calls him twelve for playing video games, which I find very stupid and out-of-character for her. The only excuse I can think of is that Rose was just nonchalantly either being a jerk or trying to make Eddie jealous when she said she wanted to hang out with Beetle. Eddie’s other best friend, Megan, goes to leave, and when Eddie goes to hang out with Wendy and Marvin, it seems as though they think he’s not smart enough to understand the complex encryption algorithm they’re working on, even though in all actuality he’s probably as smart as they are and could have graduated from MIT too if he had been able to go (since he did build a freaking power suit when he was 12). Eddie does get to have a nice chat with Zach who gives Eddie a bit of a wakeup call, and it’s this conversation that really shows how their friendship works and what Eddie is thinking. To quote Eddie:

“Still, the only thing that’s made sense to me is to set all that aside and enjoy what life I have left, you know? Go on adventures and spend time with friends…But I’m always screwing up. It’s like I’m not good enough for the Titans. And I’m starting to realize I really only maybe have two friends. Aunt Marla’s dead. Blue Devil may as well be. And the one girl I’d do anything for wants nothing to do with me.”

And so, Kid Devil makes his dumbest decision when he invites his fans to the tower. Hilarity, stupidity, panty raiding, Bat-cranking, and angst ensues. Eddie gets chewed out by Tim and Cassie, laughed at by Jaime, and snarked at by Rose. It’s at this moment that Eddie’s psyche has taken its biggest blow, because right now, he is alone again. For him, he’s lost everything again. He goes out and wears his orange hoodie (which has shown up quite a few times), and for the first time we get to see people frightened of his appearance, showing how it’s impossible for him to live in the normal world and foreshadowing what’s to come later in the arc. Eddie is unwelcomed in the Titans and in the normal world, and he has nowhere to turn to. That’s when Terry Boltiansky, Dreadbolt, reveals himself. He’s the son of Bolt, another Blue Devil villain, and like Kid Crusader he too is something of a foil for Eddie. He looked up to and wanted to be like his father, much like Eddie looked up to Dan, but Terry and his father were villains instead of heroes. Dreadbolt offers Eddie a chance to join the Terror Titans, assembled by Clock King. Eddie had every reason to agree to the offer too. The rest of the team hated him, and he had nowhere else to go. But Eddie said no. Even after being yelled at and chewed out and shunned by Titans, he still considers them his family, and he refuses to turn on them. He even says as much, and doesn’t think twice when he goes to fight the Terror Titans. Granted, it was very, very one-sided, and I wish Eddie had put up the same kind of fight that Rose or Megan did, but granted he was hurting very emotionally and he had the worst odds. This wouldn’t be the end Eddie’s development, though.

The next issue focuses on Rose, and goes a little into her relationship with Eddie. They grew close because they were the newbies, but since then Rose became a little more distant from Eddie, and started to flirt around with Beetle. Eddie took this hard, and it caused him a lot of angst. She’s his best friend, and he feels that he’s slowly losing her. However, we see in this issue that Rose really does care about Eddie, and she is worrying about him. Tim and Cassie talk about it, but it’s mostly a debate over if Rose really is worrying over Eddie. Tim redeems himself by at least defending Rose. I know it’s been discussed to hell and back, but Cassie is really a jerk in this. Tim at least gets that as Titans they’re supposed to be supportive of each other, but Cassie is having none of it, and she hurts the series for it because she refuses to be nice to anyone who isn’t Tim, Bart, or Connor. Anyway, the Terror Titans taunt Rose by mentioning Kid Devil. It’s then that we see Clock King go and lie to Eddie about how little Rose cares for him, trying to make him believe that yes, he is alone and he might as well give up whatever hope and kindness he had left and become a monster, like his future-self did, so that he can be free of all the emotional pain he’s had to go through. We see Eddie chained to a wall, muzzled and badly tortured. Thankfully, Rose really does care, because Eddie is her best friend and she’ll do whatever it takes to rescue him.

Megan is the focus of the next issue, and we see Eddie getting beat up a bit, but not much to go into. At the end though, we see the effects of Clock King’s conditioning when Eddie is turned into a raging beast and attacks Megan when she is captured. At this point, it seems as though the conditioning has worked, and it’s all to make him a participant in the Darkside Club, where brainwashed teen heroes go to fight and kill each other. It seems that he’s being drugged up too, though, and Eddie is tossed into the pit to get beaten up by Hardrock. Eddie, already battered and bruised and brainwashed and broken, can’t put up much of a fight, until next issue when he finally really snaps and shows what he’s really capable of. Kid Devil turns the fight around in just three moves, using no fire powers, against a guy with rock hard skin, which shows just how much super strength he has when he’s really angry, and it looks as though Eddie will rip off Hardrock’s jaw until Megan uses her telepathy to intervene. She cools Kid devil down, and tells him what he really needs to hear:

“Eddie. No. Eddie, Please Listen... This isn't you. You're not a killer. What they did to you — what Clock King said to you... None of it's true. You're not a monster. You're not alone. You're not unloved. You're a sweet boy who had a dream to be a superhero sidekick and got to live that dream. You're thoughtful, funny and earnest. You're a Teen Titan, Eddie. You're a good guy.”

It’s this moment that really helps Kid Devil realize who he is, and he spares Hardrock. This is also the beginning of the next stage of development for Eddie and Megan’s relationship, as they would become much closer in the future. Elsewhere, Rose and the rest of the Titans fight to Clock King, and Rose is pissed about what they did to Eddie. There’s a fight, and then everyone gets back home. Eddie and Megan share a very tender moment. Megan is helping Eddie with the brainwashing, she tells him she’s sorry she wasn’t there for him, he tells he she needs a life of her own, she tells him that she still needs her friends, and then Megan hugs Eddie, the first time I think she has every really hugged him, in what would be the first in a long line of hugs between the two. After all the pain Eddie had to go through, it’s a big relief to see him finally being happy and having a friend again. The two bond, and then Megan tells Eddie how worried Rose was, which leads to one of my favorite images; Kid Devil in cheap slippers, holding flowers with his tail and going “Yes yes yes yes yes” with a big smile on his face. It’s a shame that by that time, Rose was already gone, no thanks to her overhearing Cassie and Tim’s conversation.
Last edited by Power Metal; May 23rd, 2010 at 08:24 PM.

Old May 23rd, 2010   Power Metal is offline   #4
Power Metal

Default Part 4

And now to talk about the Red and the Blue. The issue revolves around Eddie trying to get revenge on Shockwave for what happened before and bring the villain to justice. We see a little bonding between Eddie and Tim, and Tim seems to have forgiven Eddie for the party, showing that Tim is loosening up and possibly finally starting to see Eddie as a friend instead of just a teammate. Beetle fights Shockwave, but then Kid Devil crashes in on the fight and knocks Shockwave around a bit before getting into an argument with Beetle and letting Shockwave escape. Shockwave calls Eddie Beast Boy again and makes the building collapse, and we get to see Eddie catch a big chunk of it, showing some more super strength that we didn’t see much of in past issues, possibly hinting at his power growth. Eddie still does not like Jaime, and he especially doesn’t want Jaime stealing his villain. Jaime has enough sense to not waste time arguing and goes to look for Shockwave, and Eddie decides to follow after. They figure out Shockwave could be in one of two locations, but Eddie still doesn’t want Jaime butting in on his fight. Jaime gives Eddie a little lecture on how he needs to get over his pride and help catch the bad guy. This helps to illustrate that while Kid Devil’s animosity towards Blue Beetle is not mutual, and that Eddie really needs to get his priorities straight.

The two teen heroes split up, with Eddie in Salt Lake City and Jaime in Denver, and it turns out Jaime was in the right spot, texting Eddie and telling him he’ll “kick him in the junk” for him. Jaime was probably just trying to help lighten Eddie up, but it just gets him angry, angry enough to finally unlock the ability to create fire portals like his future self did. Jaime isn’t doing too well against Shockwave until Eddie flies through the portal and starts wailing on him, venting out all his frustration on the villain. Jaime even uses Eddie’s catch phrase, “Hot damn.” Eddie’s gripe with Shockwave is not just because he got away, but that he belittled him; he didn’t take him seriously, which for a long time had been Eddie’s big personal issue. Shockwave turns things around and gets the two in his grip, only for Eddie to turn up the heat and melt his power armor. This could indicate that Eddie could make himself even hotter than he could before, but I’ve never been too sure. Kid Devil and Blue Beetle knocked the villain out together, and then talk a little afterwards. Jaime pointed out that just because Eddie made a portal, it didn’t make him like his evil future self, and Eddie asked if Jaime had been in contact with Rose. Jaime was baffled and denied it, saying Ravager scared him. This was in contradiction to what Eddie and the readers had come to expect, as Rose was telling Eddie how much fun she was having hanging out with Jaime. However, if you recall, Eddie had pretended that he was in contact with Blue Devil back when he joined, so Rose must have pulled the same thing on him, pretending that she was hanging out with Beetle when she wasn’t. It then becomes more apparent Rose was teasing Eddie the whole time and probably was just trying to get him to take the initiative.

With this new knowledge, Eddie made amends with Jaime, and they each revealed their real names and finally became friends. Afterwards, Eddie adopted the new codename Red Devil along with a new costume, which Jaime promptly made fun of by calling him the Crimson Jazzerciser, but Eddie took it in good stride and chased him around a bit, showing he no longer had any grudges. Eddie and Jaime probably would have become friends much sooner if it hadn’t been for Rose, and they playfully call each other Bug Butt and Sizzle shorts for the rest of their time together, making fun banter and being the comic-relief duo of the team. It’s at this point in the series that Eddie finally got past all of his issues and finally got to be the fun-loving hero he was meant to be. At the same time, he also matures, growing out of the insecurities and flaws that were holding him back. The change from Kid Devil to Red Devil really was a symbol of this growth. As for his new costume, I have mixed feeling. It is a nod to Blue Devil’s first costume, which I like, but it would be better with just a few changes. Eddie could have kept the pants instead of going with the shorts, lost the boots and done something with the vest, like making the shoulders pointed or adding a collar. I still like the costume though just so long as he’s not wearing the boots. The belt is pretty cool and almost works as an insignia. Now, there was an alternate Red Devil costume that Eddy barrows designed, which was more or less a cool top to go with his Kid Devil pants, having this almost dragon scale like armor over his chest, which works out well since the word “dragon” I think is supposed to mean devil, and dragons breath fire like Eddie. They probably chose to go with the other one because of its connection to Blue Devil, but this brings up an issue. It could have been seen as a sign that Eddie was willing to forgive his old hero, donning a costume that paid tribute to Blue Devil a continued the “Devil” legacy, and thus being another part of Eddie’s growth and development. However, at one point later we learn that Eddie is still mad at Dan for killing Marla, which would contradict all of this. I have no good way of making sense of this, but perhaps Eddie was still in some sort of denial or just trying to fool his friends into thinking Blue Devil was still his hero, but then that would negate a lot of his other character development up to then.

McKeever was setting Eddie and Jaime up to be the new Blue and Gold, and I think he could have done it, if things had gone his way. There was quite a lot of chemistry to be had between these two, and a lot more that could have been explored. Jaime was Eddie’s opposite in so many ways and had so much that Eddie did not, but they were still similar in so many other ways. Jaime was as normal as could be before chance would have him finding the Scarab and being granted the amazing alien technology of the Reach, one of the most powerful items in the universe. He had always had a large, stable, and loving family that was always there to support him no matter what happened, several good friends to back him up including the ever popular Brenda and Paco, and even the respect of the older heroes like Booster Gold, Batman and Superman. Jaime never wanted to be a hero, but fate decided that he would be one. And then on the other side of the spectrum was Eddie. He dreamed his whole life of being a superhero, of being far more than just a normal person. Eddie lived with neglectful parents who were always fighting and who left him to be raised by his Aunt Marla, and then forced to live on his own when she died, without any friends or family to help him when he needed it. No one respected him when he tried to be a hero, even after he gained his powers. Eddie had to take his destiny into his own hands, doing whatever it took to become the hero he dreamed of being, even if that meant selling his soul to the devil and only having a few years.

Eddie was already jealous of Jaime when he joined the Titans, jealous of how much everyone loved him, angry over how much more competent and powerful he was, and afraid that Jaime would take all his friends away and leave him alone again. If Eddie could have seen what Jaime’s normal life was, he would have been downright enraged at how unfair the world is. Jaime had everything that Eddie truly wanted and needed, including a real family. I would really have loved to have seen Eddie become a supporting character on Blue Beetle’s book, or at least seen him interact with Jaime’s friends and family. I think it would have been incredibly heartwarming to have had a scene where Eddie confesses how much he envies Jaime for all he has, and then Jaime telling Eddie that he’s always welcome to come to him and his family if he needed to. Eddie would have fit in with the rest of the Blue Beetle cast, and they could have been as much of a surrogate family to him as the Titans were. A Red and Blue miniseries would have been downright awesome.

Eddie’s relationship with Megan is one that I think has gotten less attention than I think it deserves. As mentioned before, they seemed to have gotten along during the one year gap, but it’s only around the time of the Darkside Club arc that it starts to develop more. This probably has to do with Rose becoming more distant and then leaving the team, leaving Megan as the only other person Eddie could really turn to. When Megan left to go take down the Darkside Club, she hugged Eddie goodbye and said she would miss him most of all. Eddie is also the first person Megan greets and hugs once she returns, and Eddie spends as much time with her as he does with Jaime at that point in the series. There is a very cute scene where Eddie and Megan are watching cartoons in their pajamas and eating cereal together, showing how great they get along, and later Eddie dons his old suit to save Megan when the Tower goes out of control and spews fire. She calls him very heroic, and it just warms the heart to see them together.

During the Christmas Special, Eddie found himself alone when the rest of the Titans went off to do various things. He lamented that he was alone again, something which he does not like being, only for Megan to appear and say hi. Megan tells him that he’s the only one she wants to see because of how sweet and nice he’s always been, tells him to cheer up and kisses Eddie on the cheek, which greatly excites him. This was not written by McKeever, but it’s definitely not out of character. I believe that Eddie and Megan could have started a romantic relationship, since Rose was no longer part of the team. Eddie’s fire powers could have been used to make his relationship with Megan a bit more complex; they could have fallen in love, but because she was a Martian and his powers were fire-based, they would have had to be very careful about it.

Eddie got to live the dream for about six more issues. In that time he had fun bantering with Beetle and using his new portal powers in inventive ways. Some have said that these new powers just made him like Nightcrawler, but they were portals, not teleporting, and anyone who’s played Portal knows how much fun these can be. His best use of this power was when he made a portal to grab Bombshell’s leg, and then one to the inside of the demon Wonder Dog so Bombshell could blow it up. We also get to see Eddie be nice to Wendy and visit her when she’s comatose before he goes looking for new recruits, which was a nice touch, and another funny scene where Paco calls Devil and Beetle’s friendship a bromance. While Bombshell is at the tower, Eddie tries to warm up to her, even though she doesn’t reciprocate. Still, it goes to show that Eddie doesn’t have any ill feelings towards her, even though she did betray and fight the team. Eddie’s just a nice guy like that.
Last edited by Power Metal; May 23rd, 2010 at 08:28 PM.

Old May 23rd, 2010   Power Metal is offline   #5
Power Metal

Default Part 5: Final

The next major turning point for Eddie was when he lost his powers and became human again. This was during the Reign in Hell event, in which Blaze and Satanus took over Hell and killed Neron. Eddie and Zach played a role in these events, helping to stop Rama Kushna from creating a chaos event. During this crossover, the second Brother Blood escaped Hell with Kid Eternity and attacked the Titans, stealing Eddie’s powers with a bite and fleeing. It was then that the rest of the team finally knew about his deal with Neron. Because Neron was dead at this time, the powers did not return to Eddie. We get a nice scene where Eddie and Jaime talk it over, and Jaime encourages Eddie to let them help him and tells him that they’re worried, going so far as to show Eddie his real face. We also get to see Eddie’s room in detail, and it’s apparent that Eddie likes Guns and Roses, Slash, and presumably is a metal head.

Kid Eternity takes Eddie to the now war-torn Hell to check out his contract and see if he can’t get his powers back. Eddie gets assaulted by a sorrowling that looks like Aunt Marla, making Eddie visibly shaken up. He may have dealt with his other issues, but the death of his aunt is still something that Eddie seems to blame himself for, and is likely one more reason Eddie felt the need to become a hero. They go to the hall of records, and Eddie gets a chance to talk with Kole, who tells him he’s sweet. Eddie finds his contract and sees that it’s not signed. It also reiterates that Neron just unlocked Eddie’s metagene (again, I find it lame they brought this back up). It is then that Blaze, the new ruler of Hell, approaches Eddie and offers him the same deal with no strings attached (we also learn here his middle name is Alan). Eddie will get to be a demon again until he turns twenty, and then he must serve Blaze in Hell. Eddie was really about to go through with it until Kid Eternity stops him. Eddie would still have made the choice, even with a chance to save his soul. Why? Kid Eternity asks “You’d really choose a few years of super-heroing followed by billions of years of agony over a full and normal life? What is wrong with you?!” What’s wrong with Eddie is that he really believes those few years of being a hero are completely worth the billions of years of agony, and it speaks measures about how important being a hero is to Eddie. He doesn’t want to be normal because being a superhero is who he is, and he’s become so used to being Red Devil. It may seem extremely selfish at first, but really, Eddie is making a huge sacrifice here. This is really an incredibly selfless act, as he is damning himself just so he can help the world for a few more years, and he truly believes it is worth it.

Kid Eternity resorts to getting the one person who Eddie will listen to, his aunt Marla. She convinces him not to sign the contract, and to forgive Blue Devil as well. It’s a very heartwarming moment for Eddie as he gets to talk to and hug Marla, whom he’s missed for so long. She was practically his mom, after all. Eddie agrees, and he gets his second chance. It’s just too bad he never got to live the full, normal life he deserved.

Despite being just a normal person now, Eddie stuck with the team and tried to help them out in whatever way he could, taking up Wendy and Marvin’s role as the Tower housekeeper and team support. He really had nowhere else to turn to anyway, but the Titans were still his family, and he would remain loyal to them to the end. Still, he did develop an inferiority complex because of his lack of abilities, but Eddie’s friendship with Megan and Jaime and even Static towards the end of his time shows that he was no longer an outsider. It was also a sign that he no longer needed Rose, as he chose to stay with the Titans over leaving with her, even after the loss of his powers. However, Rose still needed him. Rose finally came back to the team after the Deathtrap arc, much to Eddie’s delight and surprise, but it was only briefly. Eddie tried to get her to rejoin, but she still found she couldn’t fit in on the team. Rose tried to convince Eddie to come with her, afraid he would get himself killed if he stayed, but he declined. Eddie needed to stick with the Titans, because now they were they for him, a switch from when only Rose was his friend. Eddie really does try to reach out to Rose, because he still loves her.

And now finally we come to Eddie’s last story, Child’s Play. Immediately we see a coffin with a big T on it and we know what we’re in for. We start out innocently enough, with most of the team getting to act like normal teenagers and having fun, which is always nice to see in Teen Titans. Eddie and Jaime get to do more bonding as they play video games with Static and have a double date with Traci 13 and Lorena. Eddie claims that is will be the best night ever. Then the new Fearsome Five attack. Hired by the Calculator, they cause a prison break and critically injure a metahuman inmate whose power is to explode like a nuke when he dies. Eddie does his best to be the team’s mission control, but you can tell he wishes he could be out there fighting with them like he used to. Calculator tips Eddie off about it the nuclear man, and since the rest of the team is too busy, Eddie goes in to take care of it himself, not telling anyone until the last minute. And who does Eddie contact? Megan, via her telepathy, and we see that in Megan’s mind, and possibly Eddie’s that he still resembles his demonic self. It’s not hard to imagine that Eddie, after gaining his powers, always saw himself as being a demon instead of a human, and he probably felt much more comfortable as one, much how Jennifer Walters sees herself as being She-Hulk and prefers that form.

We all know what happens next. Eddie flies himself and the living nuke into space where they explode, killing Eddie in the process while his friends try to save him. His last words were “Titans Together.” He was a hero to his dying breath, saving his friends and thousands of lives. There have been many deaths in the Titans, but Bryan Q. Miller gave Eddie a nice send off, when they could have just treated him like cannon fodder. That cover could have been more tasteful. I wish that Eddie’s statue could have been of him as Red Devil instead of as a normal human. I wish that his statue could have been put in front of the tower like Bart and Conner’s were. I wish Eddie hadn’t died.

Now all that’s left for me to do is speculate and give opinion. Eddie died a hero’s death, but I’ve always been bugged about how little effect it has had on the rest of the characters in the DCU. When Connor died, it was a big deal. Both characters and readers grieved for months, even years. When Bart died, they had a special issue all about remembering him, but Eddie’s death seems to have counted so little in comparison. I would have at least expected Megan to have been more affected, since he was her best friend, but there’s no real inertia kept. We never really get to see an impact, even though he was on the Titans for as long as Bart and Connor were. DC didn’t even use him for Blackest Night, when he would have been perfect for it. I wanted to see Black Lantern Red Devil, see how he could have tormented the Titans, just so I could see Eddie again. He could even have gone after Rose, and we could have seen her reaction to finding out Eddie was dead, but no. It just pains me that he’s already being forgotten, which means less chance of him coming back. At least McKeever remembered, and we got to see Eddie as Kid Devil one last time in the last part of his Ravager back up. It brought a tear to my eye, even if he was only there for one page.

Why did Red Devil have to die? I don’t know. I think DC just wanted to make room for Bart and Connor to rejoin, which is probably why they decided to depower him in the first place, but I guess they changed their minds and went with just killing him off. Didio probably just doesn’t like Eddie, but he doesn’t like a lot of loveable characters. Red Devil didn’t deserve it though, and there was still much that could have been done had he not been depowered. I had hoped that Eddie would have to deal with Neron again, that the rest of the Titans would have gone into Hell to rescue him, that he would have gotten another chance to see Blue Devil again and make amends for what had happened. I wanted to see Eddie hang out with Jaime and his friends in El Paso and become closer to Megan. It would have been cool to see the difficulties of actually being a demonic teenager, and I think that Raven and Eddie could bond over that, had they been able to interact more. Eddie, Megan, Jaime, Rose, Static and the other new teen heroes could have been the true next generation of Titans, and it would have been great if DC had just given it a chance.

This is a comic book world though, and no matter what anyone of the editors say, death is not permanent. Eddie could still come back. My personal fan theory is that Eddie is down in Hell, having become a real demon, and is trying to be Hell’s new superhero. Or maybe Blaze made him Hell’s delivery boy. I think it would make a cool little miniseries, seeing Eddie making a living in Hell. With the new Teen Titans back up, The Coven, starring Zachary Zatara, I’m hoping that they’ll do something with Eddie there, maybe try to resurrect him, but we’ll see. I’ll just have to keep hoping that Eddie comes back, with all his powers and everything that made him special. It would be great to see Eddie appear an animated form on either Batman: the brave and the Bold or the upcoming Young Justice series, just so we could get the chance to see him with either Jaime or Megan. I’m betting that he’ll probably be a guest star on Young Justice, since they got Miss Martian. I will be sorely disappointed if he does not. Sorely. As for voice actors, I’ve always believed that Jack DeSena, the voice of Sokka from Avatar: the Last Airbender, would have been perfect for Kid Devil.

And so concludes my report on my favorite superhero. I hope that those who read it gained some kind of insight on him, and understand why I love Eddie Bloomberg so much. His character arc was personal and was exactly the kind of story that fit in with Teen Titans, a story about being a hero and the need for a family. It is the story of the lengths someone will go to be more than they can be, and the consequences. Eddie’s story has always been consistent and enjoyable to me, and I loved to see him triumph. I hope that this tribute to Red Devil helps to raise interest in this great character, and generate a demand to bring him back to life. Eddie Bloomberg deserves to live.

Old May 23rd, 2010   michealdark is offline   #6
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

Very nice stuff. I miss Eddie so much

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old May 24th, 2010   Power Metal is offline   #7
Power Metal

Thanks. I've been meaning to do something like this for a long time.

I also finally thought of a way to possibly bring Eddie back, building on some of the ideas I already mentioned. Neron appeared to have been holding Marla's soul captive. After Eddie refused Blaze's offer, Blaze may have found Marla's trapped soul. After Eddie died, he could have been approached by Blaze in the afterlife with a new deal; Blaze would free Marla's soul if he served under her, for a time. Eddie agrees, gets turned into a devil again (possibly with Barrows alternate red Devil costume) and works for Blaze in Hell. I think Eddie deserves to go to Heaven, but I bet Blaze would have intercepted him on his way there, and I know Eddie would choose to save his aunt's soul over getting into Heaven. From there on the miniseries would focus on the kinds of tasks Eddie would have to perform for Blaze, possibly part of some new plan of hers, as well as just showing what life in Hell is like after the war. Eventually, Eddie might catch on to the plan and rebel against Blaze, deciding to sabotage it, take Marla's soul back by force, and fight his way out of Hell. Or something like that, it's just an idea.

Old May 24th, 2010   michealdark is offline   #8
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

That's not a bad idea. Find Linda Danvers again and ask her to help him. Convince her this will help he be a hero again.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old May 25th, 2010   Power Metal is offline   #9
Power Metal

That's not a bad idea either. I don't know if DC would be so quick to do another miniseries set in Hell, but it's a good excuse to use their mystical and occult characters. Maybe Blue Devil and Shadowpact could make another appearance. Heck, it could even be a kind of sequel to Reign in Hell, and tie up some loose plot lines.