The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Closed Thread

Old June 30th, 2011   Justin is offline   #49
Justin
Supreme Geoffan

"The truth, however shocking or uncomfortable, in the end leads to liberation and dignity." - Ricky Gervais
Old June 30th, 2011   darthlucifuge is offline   #50
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

Shucks, I think that their complaining is as silly as the next guy (why, almost as silly as complaining about their complaining). It stands no significant chance of materially impacting anything, or changing any minds one way or another. As you so sagely point out, its only probable function is as an outlet to make the participants feel just a little bit better about themselves for a little while. But I want to ask - in all seriousness, with no pretense, and in hope of a genuinely considered response - one question that's been on my mind. And it's directed not specifically at you, but rather to anyone who's of the mind that these folks are terrible human beings:

What's wrong with a few people making themselves feel better in a silly, inconsequential way?

I mean...if they want to do it...if it doesn't negatively impact anyone...even if it's objectively stupid and ridiculous...why is anyone actually miffed at the protesters over a bit of zany nonsense?
ddf
ADGood View Post
heh. While they have every right to do this, I think it's idiotic for one reason. After they feel better for those brief few moments...the comics they don't want published, will still be there. So now you have an unhappy bunch who will also feel sore and defeated. It seems like their only making themselves more miserable for some short term satisfaction. The logical thing to do is vote with your dollar and not purchase any product.

Michael brought a point up in this thread and it's a good one. Why aren't more of these people going to the DC panels and voicing their issues? Waving signs and yelling at people stuck in SDCC traffic isn't gonna do anything but piss of people who wan't to get into the con and like Sandman said it might turn off a few people from even reading comics.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old June 30th, 2011   batmanjones is offline   #51
batmanjones
Neo Geoffan

I just have to ask. Did you read the article, lol. I'm kidding.
ddf
Werehunter View Post
I admit I didn't and you're right that that was hypocritical of me.

So then I did go read the article and the protest is not about the designs in particular as someone said earlier. There is a quote from the organizer explicitly saying they're protesting the relaunch generally. The designs are only part of it.

So they are doing the same stupid thing I did by complaining about a thing they don't really know about, except that they're going to do it in person and yell and scream. I think that's foolish but everyone's entitled to be foolish if they want to and if it gives them pleasure as another poster suggested by all means more power to them.

Old June 30th, 2011   michealdark is offline   #52
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

heh. While they have every right to do this, I think it's idiotic for one reason. After they feel better for those brief few moments...the comics they don't want published, will still be there. So now you have an unhappy bunch who will also feel sore and defeated. It seems like their only making themselves more miserable for some short term satisfaction. The logical thing to do is vote with your dollar and not purchase any product.

Michael brought a point up in this thread and it's a good one. Why aren't more of these people going to the DC panels and voicing their issues? Waving signs and yelling at people stuck in SDCC traffic isn't gonna do anything but piss of people who wan't to get into the con and like Sandman said it might turn off a few people from even reading comics.
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
And also, people go to SDCC to try to have a good time (as good as you can get in a sea of 15,000 hot and sweaty people in uncomfortable costumes walking on eachother's feet). Having a bunch of loud, obnoxious neckbeards there screaming into the void might lower the fun level for a number of people. And that's not fair to them.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old June 30th, 2011   ADGood is offline   #53
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

Actually, that's a great point.

As for my problem with this, it's that there's more effective ways to voice discontent over what's happening, and I dislike it when people, in any group at any time, confirm the stereotype. Knock that crap off, folks. The perception of your group will never improve if ya keep doing dumb crap.
ddf
michealdark View Post
And also, people go to SDCC to try to have a good time (as good as you can get in a sea of 15,000 hot and sweaty people in uncomfortable costumes walking on eachother's feet). Having a bunch of loud, obnoxious neckbeards there screaming into the void might lower the fun level for a number of people. And that's not fair to them.
ddf
michealdark View Post
Goodness gracious me, maybe it won't be the way you think it will. Sure, it could. But, on the other hand, it might be different from what you described. Why, it could be that they'll all behave in a good-natured, entertaining way, and that their antics will be comically and/or pathetically endearing to the passers-by, enhancing the convention experience for everyone. Granted, the likelihood of that is comparatively low, but...the point remains. We can all say, "Oh, I'm sure that 'this' is what will happen, and that's bad, and we should totally speak out against it." But until...that thing we're all talking about here...occurs, we don't know how it'll go down.

I mean, gosh, surely it isn't fair to just assume that things are going to go a certain way before they actually happen, preemptively decide that you dislike it, and condemn it before even seeing what it's like.

That would just be nutty, wouldn't it?

Old June 30th, 2011   greenlflash 2184 is offline   #54
greenlflash 2184
Master Geoffan

A protest?

Back off, man. I'm a scientist.
Old June 30th, 2011   Evan Meadow is offline   #55
Evan Meadow
Geoffan

You know what I would have done? Attend the the Dc Nation panel and voiced my complaints there. To Dan and company.
ddf
michealdark View Post
I can't wait to see who does what at all the DC panels this year. You can be sure they'll be packed with spectators.

Old June 30th, 2011   Evan Meadow is offline   #56
Evan Meadow
Geoffan

most people are stating they don't want or won't buy this reboot but everyone knows they'll be buying it anyway.
ddf
J-Liv View Post
Fixed for accuracy.

Old June 30th, 2011   Evan Meadow is offline   #57
Evan Meadow
Geoffan

Waiting to see if the SDCC masses plan another counter protest for fun.

Old June 30th, 2011   Matches is offline   #58
Matches
riff-raff

"Donna Martin graduates! Donna Martin graduates!"

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old June 30th, 2011   heffison is offline   #59
heffison
Lapsed Reader

It beats a Fred Phelps protest, at least.
ddf
Simon DelMonte View Post
Wait, why isn't he protesting this? They're giving a Lesbian her own title! Another book will feature a committed gay male couple!

But protesting comics wouldn't generate the same publicity of outrage as picking on the families of soldiers.

Now that I think about it, it is kind of cool that the only protest over the relaunch isn't about what once would have been terribly controversial.

Hmm, publicity...maybe someone at DC is behind the protest?

Old June 30th, 2011   Matches is offline   #60
Matches
riff-raff

Plus I doubt we'll get numbers for DC digital sales, not like we do from Diamond on the monthlies. So would we ever be able to get an accurate account of DC sales six months after the relaunch.
ddf
Werehunter View Post
We don't need those numbers, as we are not the decisionmakers (except of course to the extent we vote with our respective wallets). DC execs will have that information.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old June 30th, 2011   Mr. Wrong is offline   #61
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

"hey guys we know we're beat, but lets give ourselves the illusion that making signs with bad puns and chanting things will make a difference to this entertainment company!...come on guys lets make ourselves feel better!"
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
First world problem indeed. I don't like the looks of the Sept. relaunches, but... I really hate protesters. It hasn't been done right since the Civil Rights movement. They should call themselves "Code-Dink".

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old June 30th, 2011   Jake1823 is offline   #62
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

I think our country's problem of apathy extends to problems big and small. Just because there are bigger problems doesn't mean that people shouldn't make their voices heard on the small ones.
ddf
ConnorFan View Post
But shouldn't the bigger problems be addressed first? It's the priorities that are the problem here.

Where is everybody?
Old June 30th, 2011   Jake1823 is offline   #63
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

What's wrong with a few people making themselves feel better in a silly, inconsequential way?

I mean...if they want to do it...if it doesn't negatively impact anyone...even if it's objectively stupid and ridiculous...why is anyone actually miffed at the protesters over a bit of zany nonsense?
ddf
ADGood View Post
It's not a few people, it's 100+. And from all indications, these folks are as serious as a heart attack. If it was done as some sort of silly get-together, then fine, I don't care. But it actually seems like a serious protest, which then begs the question: Where are our priorities? Why not protest something a little more grievous? In this industry, there are a lot of those types of things.

Where is everybody?
Old June 30th, 2011   TJLamb0518 is offline   #64
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

DC Exec: "oh man looks like a small group of people are protesting what were doing with our comics, that's it folks let's not do this reboot anymore."

Do these protesters really think they can make a difference?
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
Golly, I see it more like this:

DC Exec: "oh man looks like a small group of people are protesting what were doing with our comics, quick...give them the leftover copies of Outsiders we've been sitting on."

Protesters: "EEEEEEEEE! Free comics! We LOVE DC now!"

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Closed Thread