The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old July 2nd, 2011   Starocotes is offline   #1
Starocotes
Neo Geoffan

Default Petition for a Doctor Fate Relaunch by Martin Pasko

I'm am a great Doctor Fate fan and have been for quite some time. From the Golden Age storys by Gardner Fox to the most recent reimagination by Steve Gerber Doctor Fate allways was a very interesting character and has shown a wide range of posibilities for magic and human interaction. Doctor Fate has been the inspiration for many other characters, Marvel Dr. Strange beeing just the most famous of them.

For all those reasons I think that Doctor Fate should be one of those characters that deserves to be featured again. The DC Relaunch seems to be the right point for this. Be it as a story in DC Universe Presents, a one-shot or a miniseries, Doctor Fate should be the center of a story again and not just the supporting cast for something like the JSA.

One of the greates Doctor Fate storys where told by a master storyteller who had a great vision for the character of Doctor Fate and the triangle he shared with his host Kent Nelson and his wife Inza. The Immortal Doctor Fate reprints, writen by Martin Pasko are among my most cherrishes comic possessions. So it is only naturally that I would love seeing him have another go at the character.

So, please DC, give Martin Pasko the chance to revive Doctor Fate!

Old July 2nd, 2011   BrianT is offline   #2
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

Do you know if Martin Pasko is interested in another chance to work on the character?

Philadelphia Comic Book Examiner
Twitter: PAComicExaminer

Subscribe to my page
Old July 2nd, 2011   Starocotes is offline   #3
Starocotes
Neo Geoffan

Do you know if Martin Pasko is interested in another chance to work on the character?
ddf
BrianT View Post
He is!

http://twitter.com/#!/MartinPasko/st...81605918007296

Old July 2nd, 2011   TheOptimist is offline   #4
TheOptimist

I'd buy it. I don't know how enthusiastically I would. But at the same time, I didn't know that I'd be enthusiastic about some of these until their announcements or associated interviews. I think it might carry the same difficulties as in the past, the same as Dr. Strange... great and wonderful character, difficulty in storyline and sales. But again, I'd buy it.

Old July 3rd, 2011   Starocotes is offline   #5
Starocotes
Neo Geoffan

I'd buy it. I don't know how enthusiastically I would. But at the same time, I didn't know that I'd be enthusiastic about some of these until their announcements or associated interviews. I think it might carry the same difficulties as in the past, the same as Dr. Strange... great and wonderful character, difficulty in storyline and sales. But again, I'd buy it.
ddf
TheOptimist View Post
Do you think something like Static Shock or Voodoo will sell better? And I'm a great fan of Voodoo as well!

Old July 8th, 2011   TheOptimist is offline   #6
TheOptimist

Do you think something like Static Shock or Voodoo will sell better? And I'm a great fan of Voodoo as well!
ddf
Starocotes View Post
No, I think Fate would sell better. But comparing the expectations for a Fate series and the reality of its payoff is where the issue sort of digs into the mess. There are a handful of titles out there that remain 'profitable' but are cancelled because they aren't holding the ground they should. With the aforementioned two, I feel like if they hit in the Jonah Hex low-but consistent club that they'll be meeting their quota to live. If a Fate series did that though, we'd look at it as a failure, despite identical results.

But part of the reason they cancel those 'lower than expected' lines is because they hope that waiting a bit will allow them to launch it once more along the lines of their expectations. In that respect we're ripe for a Fate series because there hasn't been one for a short while (I'm counting the recent Countdown as a Fate mini, btw). But once that card is played, if it doesn't hold high it'll enter back into its drop cycle.

Old July 8th, 2011   Mr. Wrong is offline   #7
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I'm am a great Doctor Fate fan and have been for quite some time. From the Golden Age storys by Gardner Fox to the most recent reimagination by Steve Gerber Doctor Fate allways was a very interesting character and has shown a wide range of posibilities for magic and human interaction. Doctor Fate has been the inspiration for many other characters, Marvel Dr. Strange beeing just the most famous of them.

For all those reasons I think that Doctor Fate should be one of those characters that deserves to be featured again. The DC Relaunch seems to be the right point for this. Be it as a story in DC Universe Presents, a one-shot or a miniseries, Doctor Fate should be the center of a story again and not just the supporting cast for something like the JSA.

One of the greates Doctor Fate storys where told by a master storyteller who had a great vision for the character of Doctor Fate and the triangle he shared with his host Kent Nelson and his wife Inza. The Immortal Doctor Fate reprints, writen by Martin Pasko are among my most cherrishes comic possessions. So it is only naturally that I would love seeing him have another go at the character.

So, please DC, give Martin Pasko the chance to revive Doctor Fate!
ddf
Starocotes View Post
I would be all over a new Dr. Fate title. You are right, the Pasko/Giffen stories were great! Essentially Dr. Fate vs. Lovecraftian forces of chaos while trying to balance his marriage and the effect of the helmet of Nabu on Kent's mind. I liked the Dr. Fate stuff that came out after those back-up stories from Flash, but I always thought the dynamic that was set up in the back-ups had a lot more mileage to them than was used.
And since Dr. Fate is not technically a super-hero, he could have been battling dark forces for many years w/out stepping on the idea that Superman is the 1st superhero in the DCnU. I doubt "Flying Man with Golden Helmet Battles Nylarhotep in the Realm of Tharsydillicha" would have been in the headlines... unless the Daily Planet has an extra-dimensional bureau.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old July 8th, 2011   batmanjones is offline   #8
batmanjones
Neo Geoffan

Sorry but I can't get with this. I find Dr. Fate dull (apart from his cool helmet and the fact that he was JSA when JSA wasn't cool) and more often than not a mumbo jumbo deus ex machina. And I'm utterly ambivalent on Marty Pasko.

Old July 8th, 2011   jafabian is offline   #9
jafabian
Iím not dead.

I'd love to see a Doctor Fate mini-series, just to see more of Kent V. I haven't quite warmed up to him yet and he hasn't been used to any great length in JSA. (though that point is moot now)

With the JSA book gone and Kent himself not having that much of a connection to the legacy of the JSA other than being the current holder of the Fate title why not have him join the League? We'd get to see more of him then.

I'd love to see Marty return to the character but I'm not sure how much he'd warm up to the current version and I don't see DC making any changes to the character at this time. They seem quite vested in Kent V. If they weren't Hector would still be wearing the helm.

Old July 8th, 2011   Mr. Wrong is offline   #10
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Sorry but I can't get with this. I find Dr. Fate dull (apart from his cool helmet and the fact that he was JSA when JSA wasn't cool) and more often than not a mumbo jumbo deus ex machina. And I'm utterly ambivalent on Marty Pasko.
ddf
batmanjones View Post
Have you ever read the Pasko/Giffen Dr. Fate stories? If not, you might like them, as he isn't the guy that just shows up and fixes everything with some floating ahnks. Dr. Fate has some very challenging battles in those stories. I'm not asking this to challenge your opinion or anything, just wondering.

Also, did you ever read any of DeMatties' Dr. Fate run? It was definitely a departure from the "mumbo jumbo deus ex machina" way he has occasionally been used in the past (mostly in the old JLA/JSA team-ups, IMO). If not, you might enjoy that version of the character. It was a fun comic.

I've always enjoyed Pasko's take on magic-based characters. If I remember correctly, he wrote at least some of the early Amethyst stories.

Old July 8th, 2011   Mr. Wrong is offline   #11
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I'd love to see a Doctor Fate mini-series, just to see more of Kent V. I haven't quite warmed up to him yet and he hasn't been used to any great length in JSA. (though that point is moot now)

With the JSA book gone and Kent himself not having that much of a connection to the legacy of the JSA other than being the current holder of the Fate title why not have him join the League? We'd get to see more of him then.

I'd love to see Marty return to the character but I'm not sure how much he'd warm up to the current version and I don't see DC making any changes to the character at this time. They seem quite vested in Kent V. If they weren't Hector would still be wearing the helm.
ddf
jafabian View Post
I never warmed to Kent V. either, as he seemed like an awfully cynical and not very likeable character. That being said, with more time to develop, he may have ended being very likeable. I'm afraid that with Gerber's passing, DC is going to feel obligated to preserve Gerber's vision for the character and handcuff any other writers who may come along from being able to really grow Kent V. beyond his initial depiction.
Or, there just won't be a Dr. Fate at all in the DCnU for a while. Who knows?

Old July 8th, 2011   BART ALLEN is offline   #12
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

Well, first we ne to update his costume so it looks like something the 90's threw up, next we need to make him into a minority, and is thier anyway we can relate him to a wildstorm character?

Looking for the light in a land of forever night
Old July 8th, 2011   Mr. Wrong is offline   #13
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Well, first we ne to update his costume so it looks like something the 90's threw up, next we need to make him into a minority, and is thier anyway we can relate him to a wildstorm character?
ddf
BART ALLEN View Post
Shhh. Don't give DC's in-house marketing secrets away.

Old July 8th, 2011   BART ALLEN is offline   #14
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

any artist out there want to have some fun and design the new dr. fate costume, as a satire on the the new dc costumes

Looking for the light in a land of forever night
Old July 8th, 2011   jafabian is offline   #15
jafabian
Iím not dead.

I never warmed to Kent V. either, as he seemed like an awfully cynical and not very likeable character.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post

In Hollywood that seems to be the slow, growing trend in the portrayal of the protragonist. I suppose that it's felt that it's time for something different, that most lead characters were becoming predictable, and it would be inevitable for that trend to seque into comics at somepoint.

I'm willing to give Kent V. more than a chance to grow on me but I wish he had more of a connection to the legacy of the mantle he's taken on as well as the JSA. That's why I'm wondering if he might be a better fit for the JLA. All the characters there are pretty much loners when you think about it. Except for Barry and Hal the Leaguers pretty much have only working relationships and no close friendships among them. Seems to me that would be a good place for a character like Kent.

Old July 8th, 2011   chrisbenes is offline   #16
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

I can certainly understand the desire to want to see a favorite character get a book, with that said I hate to be the one to burst your bubble but I think a petition to get a book done is on the same path of failure as the protest of the new DCU at SDCC.

But that's just my opinion so as our resident make you feel good ambassador TJ would say Keep on Keepin On and best of luck

SPOON!!!!

Independent George