The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old July 19th, 2011   Scott Mateo is offline   #1
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Default Dan's thoughts about the LGBT characters In the DCnU

Up, Up and Out of the Closet

"See, that's not at all what I'm irritated about...I'm irritated that you're trying to be an internet 'tough guy' to me." - Jake1823
Old July 19th, 2011   Truxillogical is offline   #2
Truxillogical
Neo Geoffan

There's a lot to that, but this line kind of irked me.

One of the things we’re very focused on doing for these types of stories is rather than [change an existing] character, we want to make sure that this is the basis of who that character is right from the start.
ddf
DC has hundreds of characters. It stands to reason that at least some of these hundreds of characters wouldn't be straight. They're retconning oodles of things, from relationships to backstories to actual characters. If we're playing the change-it-up game, why not change up a little bit more.

There's four Robins. Four. It's completely out of the question that one of those Robins might also like boys?

It's one thing I liked about DC's first gay character being Pied Piper. Instead of creating a new character to be The Gay Character, the had an existing character come out. Okay, they weren't gambling with a big name, but he was still Flash's buddy and he'd been around since the Silver Age.

Not that if they're creating new characters they shouldn't pay attention to making them something other than the Straight White guy. But why not expand that, or at least make it a possibility in some characters? (Heck, I think anyone from the future would at least be okay with the idea, or confused at the bigotry in current times. If nothing else, can't DC paint us a world where 500 years later which two consenting adults want to marry isn't an issue at all?)

I dunno, that's me. DD's gotten my hackles up in so many press releases, it's hard for me to read one with a lot of optimism. I agree, he's a flim-flammer, and if you look at it like that, it's a lot of fun. But I don't think this or any diversity issue is one that should be discussed in carnival barker speech and buzzwords.

But, y'know, at least it's a step forward? I guess? Exited to see Renee again, at very least.

Old July 19th, 2011   Matches is offline   #3
Matches
riff-raff

Has Voodoo always been bi? I never read Wildcats until the Joe Casey run, and she wasn't a huge player in the book at that time. I didn't know she was supposed to be bi until I clicked the link.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old July 19th, 2011   Mr. Wrong is offline   #4
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old July 19th, 2011   Outside_85 is offline   #5
Outside_85
persona non grata

There's four Robins. Four. It's completely out of the question that one of those Robins might also like boys?
ddf
Truxillogical View Post
Statistically only 5-10% of people asked in surveys that admit to having gay experience, so by that he'd be around the 10th Robin before he should have had atleast one.

On the side note, we dont know if Jason, Tim or Damian actually are gay and simply havent come out yet. On the DC boards in particular there are alot of 'Tim is gay' posting, mainly because he's still a virgin despite all the girls he surrounds himself with and the near-bromance thats being read into his relationship with Superboy.
(Personally though i think its more likely that its either Damian or Jason)

*btw, its 5 Robins when you count Stephanie.

**still waiting for them to add all the other kinds of sexual orientations to the mix
Last edited by jafabian; July 19th, 2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags

Old July 19th, 2011   TJLamb0518 is online now   #6
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Gee, I'd rather read comics about superheroes...superheroing, not dating.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old July 19th, 2011   TheOptimist is offline   #7
TheOptimist

On the four Robin's count... do you really want Jason Todd to be gay? I'm cool with that and all but then we're going to have to retroactively lambast the past for killing yet another gay character... And I think little Damian might be too early to be clueing in. Plus, that dude is gonna be absolutely asexual.

Old July 19th, 2011   JRM is offline   #8
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

On the four Robin's count... do you really want Jason Todd to be gay? I'm cool with that and all but then we're going to have to retroactively lambast the past for killing yet another gay character... And I think little Damian might be too early to be clueing in. Plus, that dude is gonna be absolutely asexual.
ddf
TheOptimist View Post
Ahh, just make Tim bi and be done with it. It would explain a lot about his reaction in the TT.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old July 19th, 2011   Astro@work is offline   #9
Astro@work
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Gee, I'd rather read comics about superheroes...superheroing, not dating.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
I'm going to reccomend you don't pick up any of the Archies series. All about dating. Just sayin'.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old July 19th, 2011   ADGood is offline   #10
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

On the four Robin's count... do you really want Jason Todd to be gay?
ddf
TheOptimist View Post
Yes. Yes, I do. Him and Roy. Well, Roy should be bi, otherwise the plot of Lian: Conception would just play out kind of icky.
And I think little Damian might be too early to be clueing in.
ddf
TheOptimist View Post
Right, right, Damian is Robin. Heh. It's funny; the first time I read that, "four Robins," line, my mind put Stephanie in the group.

But that's just crazy talk. Isn't it.
Plus, that dude is gonna be absolutely asexual.
ddf
TheOptimist View Post
Well, it was established that being around Katana gave Damian funny feelings in unfamiliar places. But, yeah, being ten (or -5 in the new continuity), he's basically presexual.

Old July 19th, 2011   ADGood is offline   #11
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

Ahh, just make Tim bi and be done with it. It would explain a lot about his reaction in the TT.

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post
Well...Tim does have a history of turning down sex at any available opportunity.

I mean, I remember as far back as his first girlfriend. She threw herself at him, and he was, like, "No, we're not ready." Okay, fair enough. But then Spoiler is, like, "Ur hawt," and he goes, "Um, whatever." And when Rose sneaks into his bed naked, he's, like, "Eww, go away." Then when Cassie says, "Hey, you want to make out while both of us pretend that the other one is Conner?" he says, "Sure," but then later is all, "Yeah, that wasn't the same at all."

Of course, he stepped it up a notch after he became Red Robin. When Spoiler came back and tried to make nice, he literally booted her in the abdomen. And he continues to feel "conflicted" over no less than three beautiful women who constantly want to jump him.

Well...one of them actually wanted to rape and kill him, so...good call on that one, Tim.

But the other two are totally cool. So...yeah. "Conflicted". Right.

Old July 19th, 2011   JRM is offline   #12
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Well...Tim does have a history of turning down sex at any available opportunity.

I mean, I remember as far back as his first girlfriend. She threw herself at him, and he was, like, "No, we're not ready." Okay, fair enough. But then Spoiler is, like, "Ur hawt," and he goes, "Um, whatever." And when Rose sneaks into his bed naked, he's, like, "Eww, go away." Then when Cassie says, "Hey, you want to make out while both of us pretend that the other one is Conner?" he says, "Sure," but then later is all, "Yeah, that wasn't the same at all."

Of course, he stepped it up a notch after he became Red Robin. When Spoiler came back and tried to make nice, he literally booted her in the abdomen. And he continues to feel "conflicted" over no less than three beautiful women who constantly want to jump him.

Well...one of them actually wanted to rape and kill him, so...good call on that one, Tim.

But the other two are totally cool. So...yeah. "Conflicted". Right.
ddf
ADGood View Post
Seriously, if DC wants to be groundbreaking - over a year or so do the coming out story of Tim Drake. Hey time it to match Pride in NY - imagine the press coverage from that one.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old July 19th, 2011   michealdark is offline   #13
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

I'm just glad that it looks like a relatively under-represented segment on their audience is getting some characters for them.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old July 19th, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #14
virtuadept
bye.

And when Rose sneaks into his bed naked, he's, like, "Eww, go away."
ddf
ADGood View Post
ANyone that boots Rose out of bed is definitely gay.

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.
Old July 19th, 2011   michealdark is offline   #15
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

I think most gay people would even find having a night with Rose worth it

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old July 19th, 2011   SageShinigami is offline   #16
SageShinigami
Master Geoffan

Seriously, if DC wants to be groundbreaking - over a year or so do the coming out story of Tim Drake. Hey time it to match Pride in NY - imagine the press coverage from that one.

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post

I'd be somewhat annoyed if they did that because of the reasoning that has been presented. He's had a string of females who either weren't right or he DID have lasting relationships with, but because he's not banging them that makes him gay? The only reason no writer ever wants to show him sleeping with a girl is because he's been perpetually under 18, and it's "taboo" to show teenagers having sex. Which is another problem entirely.

Plus I think comics are lacking in bi characters more than anything else...

ANyone that boots Rose out of bed is definitely gay.
ddf
I'm tired of heroes attracted to bad girls. That's been cliche for awhile now. Not that Tim has been able to overlook it...whatever he's got going with Lynx is clearly not above-board.

Jumping in Headfirst - My blog, where I attempt to not suck at writing. Media stuff. Not so much about my personal life.