The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old December 31st, 2011   Scott Mateo is offline   #1
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Default New Superman Origin By Grant Morrison/Action Comics #5 Preview (SPOILERS)

From BleedingCool

Discuss!

"See, that's not at all what I'm irritated about...I'm irritated that you're trying to be an internet 'tough guy' to me." - Jake1823
Old December 31st, 2011   chasm is offline   #2
chasm
Master Geoffan

Nicely done. Nothing too radically different that I can see and a nice explanation for how Krypto will reappear some day. Thumbs up.

Old December 31st, 2011   xBarryxAllenx is offline   #3
xBarryxAllenx

Looks good to me. My only complaint (and it is a very small one) is the change of Krypto's breed of dog. I'll get used to that wolfhound-like look, but I'm so used to the old Jack Russell look (like the old RCA Victor dog) that it will actually take more getting used to than Supes' new uni. Otherwise, I like what we've seen so far.

Long time Flash fan - you can find me here and at The Fastest Forum Alive! or at my blog Barry Allen's Comics and More
Old December 31st, 2011   jafabian is offline   #4
jafabian
Cap who?

Interesting tag line on the cover. How many times has the origin been rebooted now?

Old January 1st, 2012   Call Me El is offline   #5
Call Me El
Geoffan

Interesting tag line on the cover. How many times has the origin been rebooted now?
ddf
jafabian View Post
Too many.

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon
Old January 1st, 2012   Bizarro #98 is offline   #6
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

Good to see they're doing something worthwhile with an opportunity that could have been nothing more than an inconsequential fill-in arc induced by art delays.

Going by hair alone, I'd guess the Phantom Zone criminals are, from left to right:
Tor-An
Va-Kox
Az-Rel
Dru-Zod
Kru-El
Non
Ursa
Jax-Ur

Krypto is alive in the Phantom Zone (which explains how he was the dog of both Jor-El and Superman).

Did Jor-El reverse engineer the onboard computer system of his rocket from Brainiac's tech? Is that what attracted Brainiac to Earth in the first place?

Ha ha, "mothermatician". There's a Kirbyism for ya'.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old January 2nd, 2012   Simon DelMonte is offline   #7
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

On the one hand, it's been done to death.

OTOH, Morrison has never done it, and the recent attempts to retell the origin have been rather underwhelming to me.

Simon DelMonte
Old January 2nd, 2012   jafabian is offline   #8
jafabian
Cap who?

I liked Geoff's Secret Origin though he focused more on Superman's time on Earth than the backstory of Krypton. Looks like Morrison is going there a bit more.

Old January 2nd, 2012   Scott Mateo is offline   #9
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

I wonder if Brainiac will still have a Coluan origin?

"See, that's not at all what I'm irritated about...I'm irritated that you're trying to be an internet 'tough guy' to me." - Jake1823
Old January 2nd, 2012   virtuadept is offline   #10
virtuadept
bye.

Would sueprman be cooler if he had a flying skate board?

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.
Old January 3rd, 2012   TJLamb0518 is offline   #11
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Well, if it's not broke....beat it to death until it is. That seems to be the thinking vis-a-vis the Superman origin the last few years....

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old January 4th, 2012   Whealer is offline   #12
Whealer
Multiverse refugee

Just read the issue and really enjoyed it, including the backup story. I found it interesting and fun as well.

Don't tase me, bro.
Old January 4th, 2012   Simon DelMonte is offline   #13
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

The overall retelling doesn't add much. But Grant and Sholly get Ma and Pa Kent right. I say this as a man who knows what they have been through. Well, expect for the finding a rocket from Krypton part. But it feels right and real, and how often can you say that about a Superman comic these days?

Simon DelMonte
Old January 4th, 2012   Bizarro #98 is offline   #14
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

Nice callback to issue 2 with the fake alien.

The tall guy in the bubble helmut is Kru-El maybe? He seems to be wearing the same gauntlet as the Phantom Zone criminal who looked like Kru-El.

The Kryptonian crystals were first named "sunstone" in the 2007 Geoff Johns run. Glad to see that's being kept.

The Kryptonite Men! Seems like exactly the kind of idea I would come up with. K-man Red appears to be female. K-man Blue's powers don't seem like they would be very useful for a villain.

The Kents are Baptist! I knew it!

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old January 5th, 2012   Alan is offline   #15
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

It IS a shame that the reboot happene so shortly after Geoff's recent version AND the JMS Earth One book, so this is the third new approach in about 2 years. Having said that, this is particularly good, gorgeous art as always from Kubert Jr, and Grant manages to add a number of interesting new touches, some of which resonated with me too. Very nice back up strip too.

Old January 6th, 2012   Bizarro #98 is offline   #16
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

It IS a shame that the reboot happene so shortly after Geoff's recent version AND the JMS Earth One book, so this is the third new approach in about 2 years.
ddf
Alan View Post
It doesn't bother me, largely because it's clear Morrison has read Geoff's run and is keeping what he feels are the best aspects of it.

In fact, I would go so far as to say this first arc (not counting the current two-issue intermission) is the Secret Origin mini-series and the "Brainiac" arc, condensed down to their most essential story points and then combined together.

General Sam Lane's antagonism toward Superman. Metallo as a subordinate of General Lane and ex-boyfriend of Lois. Metallo starting out in mech armor as an homage to the original golden age version. Brainiac sending his probes/Terminauts to secure the planet before arriving personally. Metropolis being shrunk and bottled as an end-of-issue cliffhanger.

When I list it all out like that, it makes it sound like I'm just accusing Morrison of being unoriginal, but that's not my intent. Quite the contrary, I prefer when writers cherry pick rather than throwing the baby out with the bathwater. No need to reinvent the wheel.