The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old January 25th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
Eat drink and be scary!

Arrow The Flash issue #5 Preview & Discussion

CBR PREVIEW

Central City in chaos! Iris West captive in Iron Heights prison! And as Flash tries to deal with all of it, he must also try to save the life of his old friend Manuel Lago from Mob Rule, DC Comics' hottest new Super Villain!

Story by
Francis Manapul, Brian Buccellato
Art by
Francis Manapul
Colors by
Brian Buccellato
Letters by
Wes Abbott
Cover by
Francis Manapul, Brian Buccellato, Gary Frank, Brad Anderson
Publisher
DC Comics
Cover Price:
$2.99
Release Date
Wed, January 25th, 2012
ddf

Old January 25th, 2012   xBarryxAllenx is offline   #2
xBarryxAllenx

I've been impressed with Manapul and Buccellato's work on The Flash, and this issue was no exception. Great job guys!

Long time Flash fan - you can find me here and at The Fastest Forum Alive! or at my blog Barry Allen's Comics and More
Old January 26th, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #3
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Decided after reading FLASH #5 that I'm dropping it. I feel no connection to the Nu-Flash, and neat-o art and page layouts is not enough to sustain my interest. It's not a bad comic, it's just not "popping" for me for whatever reason.

This will be the first time since circa 1982/1983 that I won't be actively purchasing THE FLASH. It's not a decision I've made lightly.

I really am glad so many others appear to be enjoying it. I will now step aside and leave this new version of The Flash for those that dig it.

I'll be hunting down back issues starring any one of the three Flashes that I want to read about instead.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old January 26th, 2012   Simon DelMonte is offline   #4
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

The art is still amazing - I loved the Eisneresque ice FLASH in the river - and Barry is a fun character, but the story kind of petered out. I have to wonder if at some point DC would consider having a more experienced scriptwriter help the art team now and then with the words to match the images.

Simon DelMonte
Old January 26th, 2012   FlashEarthOne is offline   #5
FlashEarthOne
Geoffan

This was a great issue... the best of the series so far. The Speed Force reveal and Captain Cold teaser were good additions to the end of the story arc. Mob Rule was just an OK villain, but the execution of this first arc was great.

Old January 26th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #6
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Haven't had a chance to get to the shop yet and I was too busy last night to even download my digital copy. TONIGHT! I can't wait.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old January 26th, 2012   xBarryxAllenx is offline   #7
xBarryxAllenx

There are some things I understand when it comes to the New 52 version of The Flash:

1. It's not Wally, and a lot of folks (including me) miss Wally and would like to see him return in some significant fashion. I still hold out some hope, but I get it if you are disappointed you don't see him yet.

2. There are a lot of changes. I like the changes, but I realize that change is difficult and not everyone will agree.

3. This is a new team with a different approach, and not everyone will find it their cup of tea.

However, I don't understand those who are so turned off that they are turning away. Here's why:

1. To me, FJM and Booch have proven they CAN write a compelling story line. They have managed to tie up some loose ends (like the source of the EMP) in an interesting and inventive way while continuing to lay out new threads for us to follow in upcoming issues. Each issue has managed to carry us to a twist without seeming too forced, and I am truly enjoying their storytelling.

2. The art is simply amazing - and it incorporates into the storytelling in a way that I haven't seen before. The creative use of page layouts adds a lot to the feel of the story - and there is no way you can simply flip through this book and say you have captured all it has to tell. There is obviously a LOT of work put into these issues, with a lot of talent, and it shows.

3. Barry's character has been revitalized in a way that very few saw coming. Sure, I'm still hoping to see ALL the "Flash Family" at some point in the future, but for someone who grew up with Barry as the Flash and Wally as a very compelling Kid Flash in Teen Titans, these stories are most welcome. I'm glad to see Barry coming across in a way that honors his legacy while still appearing fresh and new.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that's cool with me. But, I'm still keeping The Flash at the top of my pull list - and I don't see that changing anytime soon (unless of course a rift in space and time takes my pull list and drops it off in the badlands...)

Long time Flash fan - you can find me here and at The Fastest Forum Alive! or at my blog Barry Allen's Comics and More
Old January 27th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #8
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Finally read the issue! Fantastic. One of the best of the series and a nice ending to the Mob Rule arc. I'm glad this was 5 and not 6 issues. The revelation of the speedforce was cool and I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going. Really can't wait for Captain Cold. This is a real fun book. Can't wait to get the hardcover. I'm sure it will be a beauty.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old January 27th, 2012   FlashEarthOne is offline   #9
FlashEarthOne
Geoffan

Finally read the issue! Fantastic. One of the best of the series and a nice ending to the Mob Rule arc. I'm glad this was 5 and not 6 issues. The revelation of the speedforce was cool and I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going. Really can't wait for Captain Cold. This is a real fun book. Can't wait to get the hardcover. I'm sure it will be a beauty.
ddf
Bagged & Boarded View Post
Wow! You purchase digitally, every actual issue, and are getting the hardcover! Now that is a loyal fan.

Old January 27th, 2012   Heatwave the Rogue is offline   #10
Heatwave the Rogue
Barry Allen's #1 fan!

I love the way these writers are honoring the past silverage materials without being too obvious. They've really captured a lot of the shock and awe that was contained during Barry's first run. Barry's new mental speed power (I think they called it "cognitive recognition") and it's dangerous downside when used was a lot of fun. And the revelation at the end of this issue that the ****** must be destroyed was just as crazy. The character development of the supporting cast is near the best it has ever been. This book is really special, and I plan to enjoying it while it lasts!

There's a Flash section here? Where is it? ;-)
Old January 27th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #11
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Wow! You purchase digitally, every actual issue, and are getting the hardcover! Now that is a loyal fan.
ddf
FlashEarthOne View Post
lol yeah man. I kinda do that with all Flash books. I have every issue of Barrys and Wally's runs. Doubles of most. I also buy every collected edition...trade, hardcover...I even buy the Johns Omnibus's and I have all the issues and trades. I only do this with The Flash though. They are my favorite characters. I enjoy the different formats. The doubles of the issues are for my son when he grows up.

Old January 27th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #12
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

I love the way these writers are honoring the past silverage materials without being too obvious. They've really captured a lot of the shock and awe that was contained during Barry's first run. Barry's new mental speed power (I think they called it "cognitive recognition") and it's dangerous downside when used was a lot of fun. And the revelation at the end of this issue that the ****** must be destroyed was just as crazy. The character development of the supporting cast is near the best it has ever been. This book is really special, and I plan to enjoying it while it lasts!
ddf
Heatwave the Rogue View Post
Agreed. You nailed it. If it is this good now, just wait until the boys delve into the Rogues. Me thinks their take is gonna rock.

Old January 27th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #13
jafabian
Eat drink and be scary!

You know the biggest thing I like about the art? Francis draws the Flash as though he's running, not flying. Not a fan when the book is about someone who runs fast but doesn't even look like he's running.

Old January 27th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #14
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

You know the biggest thing I like about the art? Francis draws the Flash as though he's running, not flying. Not a fan when the book is about someone who runs fast but doesn't even look like he's running.
ddf
jafabian View Post
What artists have done that?

Old January 27th, 2012   xBarryxAllenx is offline   #15
xBarryxAllenx

ddf
I can't answer that one - but I would say I love how the idea of running at super-speed is depicted in The Flash these days. It really leaps off the page and draws me into the story.

Old January 27th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #16
jafabian
Eat drink and be scary!

ddf
This is just an example for discussion and is not intended to be "creator bashing." But this is one example that I've seen artists do at times that bugs me:

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW FROM JUSTICE LEAGUE #5 (SPOILER)

See panels 1 and 5? That isn't a running pose. That's more or less a superhero pose. I like it when the Flash is depicted in poses that you'd see someone like Usain Bolt or Devin Hester would use. But I do see this at times with speedsters in comics. Just a pet peeve of mine.