The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old April 2nd, 2012   EmaHal is offline   #1
EmaHal

Default Ray Palmer in DC Nation !

With Ray Palmer / Atom in Young Justice and DC Nation shorts, I hope DC reverse its mind about Ryan Choy, and Ray Palmer remains Atom !

What can people look forward to in the shorts, will there be some kind of serial nature to them week to week or will it be within the block for that particular day?

BJ: There are some shorts that are serialized, for instance a series starring the Atom, that is based on the Atom comics from the 1980’s. Some of the other series will have a looser serialization but most of them are stand-alone. We still haven’t figured out how those are going to air yet, but within the block. Atom looks back at the comics, and certainly Doom Patrol are based on the comics but most are original.

http://www.buzzfocus.com/2012/04/02/...cer-ben-jones/
ddf

I hope they are many shorts and several episodes of Young Justice focused on Atom!

Please Geoff, WE WANT RAY!

Old April 2nd, 2012   Eric Q is offline   #2
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

I like the designs for most of the characters in the show. They're familiar but manage to add something different that works for them. With the DCnU designs, they generally added details or made changes that don't work well, this "Young Justice" Atom fits more with the DCnU than YJ.

I wonder if down the line we'll see Ryan as his lab assistant or something in the show.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old April 2nd, 2012   Bizarro #98 is offline   #3
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

The shorts are based on the Sword of the Atom series, so maybe if they're successful DC will try another version of that.

I don't think you'll get anywhere begging Geoff to make Ray the JLA's Atom though. I have a hunch that was Jim Lee's call.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old April 2nd, 2012   Eric Q is offline   #4
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

The shorts are based on the Sword of the Atom series, so maybe if they're successful DC will try another version of that.
ddf
Bizarro #98 View Post
Heck yeah!

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old April 2nd, 2012   Scott Mateo is offline   #5
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Whoa...what? Wow!

I'll have to check out YJ and DCN.

There's so many other cool names for microscopic particles out there besides "Atom", like Muon or Tau that Ryan could use. Does he really need to usurp the Atom identity from Ray in order to succeed as a character?

"See, that's not at all what I'm irritated about...I'm irritated that you're trying to be an internet 'tough guy' to me." - Jake1823
Old April 2nd, 2012   Eric Q is offline   #6
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

I'll have to check out YJ
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
Ray hasn't appeared beyond that hologram cameo and unknown whether he'll make any more appearances.

There's so many other cool names for microscopic particles out there besides "Atom", like Muon or Tau that Ryan could use.
ddf
Rather they go with Micro, don't think that's been used. Muon, sounds like a cow euphemism and I keeping think Greek with Tau.

Does he really need to usurp the Atom identity from Ray in order to succeed as a character?
ddf
Ray had to.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Old April 2nd, 2012   Scott Mateo is offline   #7
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Ray had to.
ddf
Eric Q View Post
I should probably explain that last bit. In the final issue of Ryan's series, he learns that it wasn't really Ray who he had a correspondence with all those years through mail when Ray comes back. Ray tells Ryan he's been through a lot and he'll take it from there. Ryan says "No!" and that he's the Atom now. So he just kinda took Ray's identity without his blessing, hence me using the term usurp. Ray didn't usurp the name "Atom" from Al Pratt, seeing how the original Atom hadn't been seen in comics for at least 10 years.

"See, that's not at all what I'm irritated about...I'm irritated that you're trying to be an internet 'tough guy' to me." - Jake1823
Old April 3rd, 2012   mego joe is offline   #8
mego joe
Geoffan

With Ray Palmer / Atom in Young Justice and DC Nation shorts, I hope DC reverse its mind about Ryan Choy, and Ray Palmer remains Atom !

I hope they are many shorts and several episodes of Young Justice focused on Atom!

Please Geoff, WE WANT RAY!
ddf
EmaHal View Post
I think I would prefer to see Ray fight along side Frankenstein in that book rather than be lumped in with the current JL, cause I'm not gonna read that!

Reveal that Ray WAS the Atom in the JL a couple of years ago, show that the Sword of the Atom mini happened and now he's back working with S.H.A.D.E.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old April 3rd, 2012   Bizarro #98 is offline   #9
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

I should probably explain that last bit. In the final issue of Ryan's series, he learns that it wasn't really Ray who he had a correspondence with all those years through mail when Ray comes back. Ray tells Ryan he's been through a lot and he'll take it from there. Ryan says "No!" and that he's the Atom now. So he just kinda took Ray's identity without his blessing, hence me using the term usurp. Ray didn't usurp the name "Atom" from Al Pratt, seeing how the original Atom hadn't been seen in comics for at least 10 years.
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
Really? That is awful. I much prefer the way they handled the relationship between the two on the Batman: The Brave and the Bold cartoon, and wouldn't mind seeing something similar implemented in the comics.

They can both be named the Atom, because no one is going to get the two of them confused if Ryan is palling around with the Justice League and Ray is off doing his own thing in South America.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old April 3rd, 2012   Eric Q is offline   #10
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
What's weird is that it came from Rick Remender.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Old April 3rd, 2012   Scott Mateo is offline   #11
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

What's weird is that it came from Rick Remender.
ddf
Eric Q View Post
Yeah, and until that final issue, I liked his portrayal of Ryan better than Gail's. He wasn't as goofy.

Old April 3rd, 2012   BESTBUY is offline   #12
BESTBUY
Supporters

Yes, Ray as the atom. Ryan Choi can be reinvented as something else.

Ray Palmer, Ronnie Raymond, Ralph Dibney, Dinah Lance in the JLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 3rd, 2012   EmaHal is offline   #13
EmaHal

Ray hasn't appeared beyond that hologram cameo and unknown whether he'll make any more appearances.
ddf
Eric Q View Post

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Atom is member of the Justice League in YJ episodes 25 and 26

Old June 19th, 2012   Gunsmoke is offline   #14
Gunsmoke
Neo Geoffan

I really like THE SWORD OF THE ATOM shorts.
Nice animation.
My problem with these shorts is that, Well, they are too short.
A minute is all right for comedy shorts like Plastic Man and Animal Man
but an adventure short needs a little more room, about 8 minutes.

Old June 24th, 2012   EmaHal is offline   #15
EmaHal

Sword of the Atom shorts pics!

WE WANT RAY!
WE WANT RAY!
WE WANT RAY!
WE WANT RAY!
WE WANT RAY!
WE WANT RAY!
WE WANT RAY!

Old June 24th, 2012   Scott Mateo is offline   #16
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

I really like how they have Katar talking to Ray in the beginning. Can't wait to watch this all as one story.

DC Nation: Sword of the Atom, Part 1